Issues with NPC/Item Surveys

oots0130.gif

Hmm, not sure how useful a cat based  boomerang (catterang?) would be.

It would only work when it felt like it, leave dead things in your boots, insist on being coddled and petted, and get into fights with other boomerangs.

Though on the plus side you could direct its flight path with a laser pointer.

• Like 3

Know what weapon ghost bakers prefer?

The boo-meringue!

8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The hard-counter? Prisms.

"Ha-HAH! Which laser dot shall your cat-arang track, NOW, fiend?! *smirk*"

Or, instead of tanglefoot bags, you just have bags full of catnip that you peg people with, converting the cat-arang's single-hit damage to a damage-over-time attack.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The Lost Backer Inn... does Obsidian get Carte Blanche if they don't respond?

Turn it into a side quest line.

You cant use the inn in town X until you find the cause of the disapperance of the owner.

"Sorry <CharName>  the inn has been abandoned since the owner disappeard under mysterious circumstances. Some say he was kidnapped by Grognards, while others swear he chanted "Avellone, Avellone, Avellone" into a mirror before vanishing. But whatever happened, no inn or tavern here until it is solved".

<<Accept Quest. "Incident at the Inn?" Y/N>>

• Like 1

I'm quite sure her name is Carte Blanchett.

And yes, she will act as the hostess for the Lost Backer inn.

Even more reason to lose youreslf at the Lost Backer Inn

This must now come to pass.

This must now come to pass.

Yeah, so who pens the pm and forwards it to Sawyer?

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Yeah, so who pens the pm and forwards it to Sawyer?

PM? Feh, I say. We're using feathered quills and ink and hand-made parchment for this bad boy, and illegibly signing all our names at the bottom.

• Like 1

That is most unfortunate that an inn-weaver has not communicated about their inn.

Maybe you could make it an abandoned inn, in the game? *shrug*

With a spiffy quest centered around it, perhaps.

Turn it into a side quest line.

You cant use the inn in town X until you find the cause of the disapperance of the owner.

"Sorry <CharName>  the inn has been abandoned since the owner disappeard under mysterious circumstances. Some say he was kidnapped by Grognards, while others swear he chanted "Avellone, Avellone, Avellone" into a mirror before vanishing. But whatever happened, no inn or tavern here until it is solved".

<<Accept Quest. "Incident at the Inn?" Y/N>>

An interesting way to deal with it, I like it.

But perhaps you can allow the backer who failed to communicate give his inn for the expansion? New round, new chances, so to speak.

Outsourcing it to the community, well, I wonder how the people who paid large sums for the privilege would feel about that. That said, there is a lot of creative energy in the community, and I'm sure someone could come up with something cool.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

• 4 weeks later...

she's more or less a joke character designed to let me do a silly voice and be horribly inconsistent in my roleplaying and make dirty jokes.

Yeah, so don't do it.

I can't speak for everyone, but I for one don't want some male pig's haha females joke character in a game I helped pay for.

I should point out that "haha females" is so far away from the point of the character. Just because she's a joke does not mean the joke is at the expense of women, or that the character is what I think women are like, or whatever. I've always been very careful to play her as a character who is ludicrous in ways that everyone in any gaming group can find enjoyable. The ultimate joke of the character is that she's utterly shameless about her shallow, hedonistic nature. Think Troy McClure meets Paris Hilton meets Divine.

Not that this should even matter, which is why I didn't bring it up earlier, but you should understand that I created and evolved this character in a game run by a female DM, in which more than half the players were women. I mention this only because it sounds like you are under the impression that I created her to make a bunch of misogynistic dudebros laugh at how lame chicks are. That was not, is not, and has never been the case. I'm not going to argue that she couldn't seem sexist to someone; my acute awareness of the potential for miscommunication is what led me to post what I posted originally. But I absolutely did not create her to laugh at women.

Many of the friends I wanted to amuse via her inclusion in PoE are women. The people I intended to (and did) entertain originally with the character are those same women. Half or more than half of my friends outside of that gaming group are women. I am a feminist.

I state all these facts not to imply that I am somehow exempt from being sexist; that's honestly not my call to make. I'm as good at putting my foot in my mouth as anybody. But my intent is never to be sexist. The worry I had about putting the character in the game was that I was unsure if that intent would be easily communicated through a short description of her, or if she would just come across as a sexist caricature out of context.

And I suppose you're wondering why I didn't say this when you originally called the character sexist. It's because I wasn't sure if you grasped my intent with the character until you confirmed you didn't with this latest post.

And that's my fault, to be clear. I obviously didn't communicate the aforementioned intent well enough in my first post, which led to the same misunderstanding I worried the character would provoke if included in the game. This is why I ultimately decided to go with another character that represented my view of woman less ambiguously.

I guess to secret to creating such a character in an interesting way is to accept and take the expectation one has about these tropes and twist/play with them and surprise the audience like that.

It's often the simple and cliché characters that leave the biggest impression when intentionally designed that way just to ridicule and disappoint those expectations in the end.

In case of a supposedly bimbo/gold-digger sorceress, play with that expectation and come up with a moment that really makes the player think "Wow, I haven't expected that. Looks like I was totally wrong!". Think about the psychological aspects behind such a superficial design. Are there inner demons or weaknesses that she might just want to cover with such a behaviour?

In my RPing history, I also played with a bunch of people where one of the players had a very similar character that clearly seemed an overpowered joke-sidekick gold-digger cliché sorceress at first. Until you found out that she actually wasn't being able to perform any magic at all, despite being considered a powerful sorceress, which ultimately would be her downfall, as all the lies and manipulations suddenly break apart.

Put that together with her being strangely over-protective of children, you'll eventually find out that she's just an average girl from an orphan shelter just trying to make money for her friends - at all cost. Turns out that her looks and being a charismatic liar are the only real skills she had when she was younger, so everyone was kind of *expecting* her to be what she was. And if everyone is pushing you towards a certain corner, at some point you'll simply HAVE to embrace it to protect yourself from mental damage.

Five days after finding that out, we found a note on the campfire and all stuff/gold gone. "If you dig below the surface, make sure there's something to dig."

Boy, was that a total mind****, especially as the player behind this character could never be sure we would actually *find out* that carefully laid out fake-backstory and put 1 and 1 together, just to assume there is depth behind a character when there was actually none! Meta-gaming at it's best.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

**COMMONER INTRUSION**  :p

Umm, hello..  :grin:

Can any of you spoil the item you are creating or you are bound not to do that ?

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

With that said, what did you create Mr Bryy ?

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.