Just registered here so this shall be my first contribution for the greater good!

After seeing the trailer, I must say I'm very pleased about what I saw. Almost scary how much it does look like the old IE games but still modern so no complaints in that.

Little glimpse of actual gameplay would've been nice but I guess they want to build up the hype and so on.

Solmyr! You have found your way to this magnificent game also :)

Solmyr: Epic Chainlightning.

Can we still be able to manage our pledges after we have finalized them? For instance if we wish to add an add-on after we finalize?

From the previous page:

The only time you can add an add-on is when you are managing a pledge. At some point in the future we may try to sell the add-ons separately, but we haven't seriously discussed a timeline for something like that.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Ye so can we re-manage after we finalize? :huh: Also I was looking at my pledge reward. I had pledged way back during the Kickstarter campaign through PayPal. Will I be able to get the Kickstarter forum badge?

Edited by Krios

No, not currently, it would seem. As, once you finalize, you are no longer managing a pledge (because you can't anymore). That's what BAdler was trying to say, methinks. They're looking at allowing for add-ons as separate from the management process (which would, I think, mean that, even after you've finalized your pledge, you could go in and purchase add-ons, without actually having to add them on via pledge management.)

So, hopefully in the near future? *fingers crossed*

As to the second question, I'm afraid I do not know. 8(

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I am now at the Backer Portal. Will I be able to go back to make changes after I have finalized my pledge?

+1.

Also, for how long will we be able to upgrade our pledges?

Once you have finalized your pledge you will be unable to change it. We don't have an official date for locking down the pledges, but when we come up with one, we will send out an update about it.

• Like 1

The trailer video lasts for less than 2 minutes. Strangely enough, i spent near 10 minutes watching it. Sounds like a resurrection of something long time lost. The update is not so "Big", but is "Great". Because the trailer is just something that is "big" and "great". So, thanks for it :) I look for it since at least 6 months.

All is not perfect, but i would say, i don't care. Some spoke about animations, i would say that while they are not perfect, they have someting very unique that is very "Eternity". I don't look for perfection because perfection is like "no identity" for me. While i look for some Baldur's Gate is PE, i look too for some PE in PE. Furthermore, it's really hard for me to make constructive criticism about a point without beeing acknowledged of the entire set of features, because some weird designs (as an example) may become really obvious and in place if seen into the whole game.

So, as it is only my 2nd post, just 2 things:

1) I voted yes on the poll about extra stretch goals. because choices into companion matters is great for replayability, and dungeon combat-oriented only extra areas is cool, but boring over time (like in IWD). Plus, i missed kickstarter so...

2) It's not quite the right update to speak about this but well... Just a word about crafting (because the concerned update is outdated). The only crafting system i fell right about was the arcanum one. Because, unlike moderns RPG, you was not able to become a master in every crafting domains (maxed out skills). Plus i feel weird that you can craft better weapons than a master blacksmith after just having killed some hundreds mobs (no link between mobs and forge)... And beeing at the same time a master scientist, master medic, master puncher, master sniper, master magician, and master toasters repairer at the same time. And finally, crafting a sword must take some time, not just few seconds in game... I really hope these immersion breaking problems won't happen in PE.

I stop here the out of topic. This part does not really need a reply.

And finally, thanks for the great work, for Arcanum, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment and all these games i still play nowadays. (And sorry if my english is poor. French people are not known for their mastery with foreign languages (skill really not maxed out here :D)). Was quite hard writing this.

• Like 3

The trailer looks so good I feel I might explode. Speaking of that, my only objection is aginst the gibbing zombies. It really could look more "squishy" and not like they just disappear ;)

Everything else is MARVELOUS.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I've just looked the trailer around 10 times just now... It is even better than i thought at first sight... Yes, animations are just alpha and are quite placeholders, but whatever. I love the artistic design (very much) and the details of the characters' gears , i love too the way they bring their weapon on the back or the side. The creatures are just all wonderfull, and i have no doubt than the so-called troll will be pretty nice too in such a kind of general design. Environments are wonderful.

The effects of light, climates are awesome, and i can't really understand how it's possible to do this on a 2D game... The dragon is just amazing (perhaps a few too small) but really, really (!!!) impressive. I wonder too how you have animated both the dragon flying and his shadow on the ground. I mean, it's no secret if the game were 3D, but, here, there is no sunlight, just we feel there is one. There are 2 different animations?

Some parts of the trailer reminded me Baldur's Gate (the guy crossing the river with his mace), some (with the spiders) reminded me the first time i saw the IWD I trailer (on the Baldur's Gate 2 CD!), others (the bridge and the 3vs3 in a village) reminded me some Planescape (Sigil for most part)... But i wonder one other thing. Dragons and ogres must be quite powerfull opponents. I've red somewhere that Eternity should be a saga (and the trailer reminds it). If it's the same kind of saga than BGate (with the same character i mean), then we must have a quite low level in the end of the present game... That's why the dragon (but is it really a dragon?) and the ogre surprised me here.

Well, if the game is well balanced between dungeons, dialogue, exploration, combats and questing, Eternity may become a great game :)

Ye so can we re-manage after we finalize? :huh: Also I was looking at my pledge reward. I had pledged way back during the Kickstarter campaign through PayPal. Will I be able to get the Kickstarter forum badge?

Yes, you can get the KS badge. See this thread - you'll have to message Fionavar with the date of your pledge. But you need a backer badge first and you won't get it until you complete the pledge management proccess.

For once final means final.

Good thing.

Blood and honor

Not really... prevents people from buying more stuff. Which means more money to be put in PE's development.

In the end; We all loose :(

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Not really... prevents people from buying more stuff. Which means more money to be put in PE's development.

*lose

But I think that having final product specifications is a good thing. Otherwise we could end up with adding more and more stuff infinitely :p

It's called Capitalism ;)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

*lose

But I think that having final product specifications is a good thing. Otherwise we could end up with adding more and more stuff infinitely :p

There is nothing in the addons that actually adds to the game. They are things like beta keys, lore of the world, strategy guide, extra copy of the game download, etc

Short question so will I still be able to change my pledge/rewards once I did place my order at the end. What I mean is, lets say I change my mind and wanna upgrade my boxed copy to the 140 $ collectors edtion but I already did place my order. Will I be able to upgrade it by just donating the money that is needed for the upgrade?

Edited by Spike Spiegel 28

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

The effects of light, climates are awesome, and i can't really understand how it's possible to do this on a 2D game...

That is because PoE is not a true 2D game.

The game uses 3D models; the particles and dynamic lighting are 3D effects. Only the backgrounds are 2D (pre-rendered 3D to be exact)

Edited by Helm

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Short question so will I still be able to change my pledge/rewards once I did place my order at the end. What I mean is, lets say I change my mind and wanna upgrade my boxed copy to the 140 $ collectors edtion but I already did place my order. Will I be able to upgrade it by just donating the money that is needed for the upgrade?

Doh never mind silly me should at least read the posts on same page :(. Alright I guess than I won't finalize my order for the time beeing as I really want that delicious clothed map from the collectors box ^^.

Edited by Spike Spiegel 28

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

The effects of light, climates are awesome, and i can't really understand how it's possible to do this on a 2D game...

That is because PoE is not a true 2D game.

The game uses 3D models; the particles and dynamic lighting are 3D effects. Only the backgrounds are 2D (pre-rendered 3D to be exact)

Oh yeah, i saw a video from J.Sawyer explaining this in an old update few months ago. I really had a hard time understanding this english video :D And what was awesome to me back then was that the point light hightlited the edges of the statues and brought shadows too, like if the statue were eventually a 3D model and not imported 3D model in 2D environment. I did some 3D modelization in my time (10/15 years ago) with Lightwave, but i can't really figure out the process used here. The only way i can figure out is that the 3D model was rendered with the highlights in 3D environment, and then converted into sort of animated texture in the 2D thing. But i kind of understood that dynamic lightning should do this in PE (spells etc) in real time, and then, impossible to use pre rendered lighting animations. I'm not sure my english is good enough to explain well all this stuff... :(

Still, awesome.

Hi there guys : ) Wow... so much memories came after see your portraits (Infinity games artwork, gifs, Heroes of M&M 3 etc.) and mostly, after see the trailer.

I remember when this Kickstarter begin, and until now, I didn´t get so much attention to the game (low economics and kinda disappointed with new rpg games so far) but I saw the trailer..and was like a punch right to the face of so many years playing Infinity games in my ol´ Pentium II.

So I want to be part of this before it´s to late, and I´m trying to save money to purchase it but I have some doubts : s

1) Any idea of when the backing-pledgin will be finish?

2) Will the digital goods (collector´s book,etc) be sold after the release?

3) I´m really interested in the physical version...will be only available here, and it won´t be available after the game is released?

Thank you so much in advance, and I hope to spend more time here : )!

Lots of people are still missing the green K badge....even some of the gold badge backers. I wonder why? Seems really strange.

Yeah, I'm missing mine as well at the time of this post, but maybe the process isn't automated.

Edited by Webslinger

23u4g7t.jpg

What exactly is the difference between just-plain-2D, and pre-rendered 3D? I mean, I know the plane of the ground exists in a 3D world, and the models and such are on top of that, in actual 3D gamespace. But, the environments are like 99.9% just one big 2D ground image, correct? So, does "pre-rendered 3D" just mean they actually created 3D trees and such, then flattened them into a 2D "snapshot" (for lack of a better word)? I mean, the result is actually still just a 2D image, right? In that video, Josh rotated the scene in Unity, and it was just a painted "ground" plane, and that's it. Except for a couple of other planes, like the waterfall, etc. (still 2D, just on a separate plane from the ground).

I'm genuinely just asking, in case it sounds like I'm pulling a "I'm judging the fact that people are calling it that, because they shouldn't be" here. I'm just sincerely curious as to the details.