Apology accepted. Lets at least keep cool until the beta.

Later.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

What with watching the gamplay vid and pledging the monies, I forgot to come in and thank you for my new desktop wallpaper :)

The Media section on the Backer's Site has some good stuff and the wallpapers gave me a tough choice ;)

I tried the Pillars of Eternity Logo but there was too much black space around it for my tastes, the battle scene is a bit busy for my desktop so I've gone with the Sagani one.  Nice central character, and enough space to the left for all my icons.  I like how it fades to the edges too so it blends with my monitor frame.  Plus it's an awesome piece of artwork 8)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Well, here's someone that has been away for almost a fortnight on some well-deserved vacation, and what do I find? Heavenly bliss all firmly supported by some unearthly Pillars of Eternity! I'm so happy that I'm screaming with joy and jumping up and down in a talk show sofa somewhere!!!

:aiee:  :aiee:  :aiee: :aiee:  :aiee:  :aiee:  

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

What exactly is the difference between just-plain-2D, and pre-rendered 3D? I mean, I know the plane of the ground exists in a 3D world, and the models and such are on top of that, in actual 3D gamespace. But, the environments are like 99.9% just one big 2D ground image, correct? So, does "pre-rendered 3D" just mean they actually created 3D trees and such, then flattened them into a 2D "snapshot" (for lack of a better word)? I mean, the result is actually still just a 2D image, right? In that video, Josh rotated the scene in Unity, and it was just a painted "ground" plane, and that's it. Except for a couple of other planes, like the waterfall, etc. (still 2D, just on a separate plane from the ground).

I'm genuinely just asking, in case it sounds like I'm pulling a "I'm judging the fact that people are calling it that, because they shouldn't be" here. I'm just sincerely curious as to the details.

I think that pre rendered 3D allow you to craft "screens" that look much more... "deep" (?) than if it was actually just made with a photoshop-like soft. I feel it works very well in this preview trailer. Images are somewhat deep, with foreground, background and all the stuff. I think the only difference between 2D and pre rendered 3D is just that. 3D helps you rendering some perspective mechanics and animations with the soft 3D engine that is really hard to animate or render with just a pen. But a the end, it's just kind of a "photo" taken in the 3D soft layout renderer and then applied on a plain 2D surface.

But still, like i said, there are some things i can't understand. And all i said is just theory because i didn't any 3D work since 10 years. And i'm really curious about the stuff they made that can't be done with the method i spoke about below...

Don't know if i was of some help for you, and if i understood your meanings well :) let me know so that i can improve my english further.

EDIT: yeah Faster than light dude :D

I think one potential benefit is that they don't need to worry about the poly count for the area models, which would be a concern for a FPS-style game. Thus they can make the non-animated models as detailed as they want and not have to decimate the mesh (unless it's an issue for render time).

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

What exactly is the difference between just-plain-2D, and pre-rendered 3D? I mean, I know the plane of the ground exists in a 3D world, and the models and such are on top of that, in actual 3D gamespace. But, the environments are like 99.9% just one big 2D ground image, correct? So, does "pre-rendered 3D" just mean they actually created 3D trees and such, then flattened them into a 2D "snapshot" (for lack of a better word)? I mean, the result is actually still just a 2D image, right? In that video, Josh rotated the scene in Unity, and it was just a painted "ground" plane, and that's it. Except for a couple of other planes, like the waterfall, etc. (still 2D, just on a separate plane from the ground).

Yeah that's pretty much correct. It's a 3D world, but the projection to 2D is done on the developers' machines once, rather than each frame on your machine. Pre-rendering instead of real-time rendering. This allows arbitrarily complex scenes as well as selectively hand-painting over the renders as needed. It however forces the use of a parallel projection (so objects appear the same size regardless of point of view, which is unrealistic), and forever locking the "camera" at a specific angle.

Edited by Zeckul

The only thing that kinda bothers me is the avatar bipedal posture-gait animation. Seen more clearly at around 0:43 of the trailer, the avatar elbows seem to be held too far from the torso and center of gravity while running? Also in the prior scene, the bipedal avatars seem to be leaning too far forward, or maybe it's the camera angle. Looks a wee bit awkward, but since it's isometric, eh....

Otherwise, mm, juicy, nice spell effects. The animation fluidity and combination of 3D/3D-retouched-into-2D elements are very nice. 

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The explanations are much appreciated. Basically, I had no idea they weren't simply "drawn" (manually created, bit-by-bit, via a 2D process). I figured that they probably had some software setup that helped calculate the viewing angle (as you're viewing the ground plane at that slightly-downward angle -- as Sawyer showed in the video way back when, if you move the camera around in the Unity scene to where you're looking straight-on at the ground plane [just like a basic 2D game], everything's all stretched and skewed), etc.

So, when people started distinguishing that it was "pre-rendered 3D," I suspected it had something to do with the process of actually creating the finished 2D image. Just didn't know the details.

Again, thanks muchly, ^_^

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Short question so will I still be able to change my pledge/rewards once I did place my order at the end. What I mean is, lets say I change my mind and wanna upgrade my boxed copy to the 140 $ collectors edtion but I already did place my order. Will I be able to upgrade it by just donating the money that is needed for the upgrade?

You will have to contact Obsidian customer support directly so they can change your order.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely just asking, in case it sounds like I'm pulling a "I'm judging the fact that people are calling it that, because they shouldn't be" here. I'm just sincerely curious as to the details.

Functionally, there is no difference. Both of those instances are 2D.

Our artists are creating these areas with 3D assets in Maya. We render out a screen of those areas (and the various passes of those areas) and use that. Some objects (pretty much anything that would need to move) are 3D objects laid on top of the scene.

• Like 2

I think one potential benefit is that they don't need to worry about the poly count for the area models, which would be a concern for a FPS-style game. Thus they can make the non-animated models as detailed as they want and not have to decimate the mesh (unless it's an issue for render time).

It can be an issue for render times, but is definitely less of a concern than it normally would be.

• 2 weeks later...

So many people crapping on the spell effects, they all look better than anything in the IE games so I think they look great. I think what is throwing people off are the character animations, that is that characters have no real reactions to being hit by spells. It has been pointed that the character animations are still in an early stage so I think with the spell effects as they are now and appropriate character animations, it will look great.

So many people crapping on the spell effects, they all look better than anything in the IE games so I think they look great. I think what is throwing people off are the character animations, that is that characters have no real reactions to being hit by spells. It has been pointed that the character animations are still in an early stage so I think with the spell effects as they are now and appropriate character animations, it will look great.

I count a total of three people expressing some concerns about the spell effects; many more had positive opinions. Are you just trolling, or is this the first actual documented evidence of a time traveller from the future?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I count a total of three people expressing some concerns about the spell effects; many more had positive opinions. Are you just trolling, or is this the first actual documented evidence of a time traveller from the future?

That would be a second at best, the first one being John Titor ;-)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hmm, not trying to troll, I swear I saw more than three. My main point though was that they look a hell of a lot more detailed than those in the IE games.

• Like 1

Being one of them I can't help but wonder if you really did wade through all those 24 pages ;)
Don't get me wrong - I'm thankful, because I for one didn't "crapped". In fact I made my remark in quite defensive and cautious way, not wanting to discourage anyone involved in creating those alpha-stage spells effect.

Hmm, not trying to troll, I swear I saw more than three. My main point though was that they look a hell of a lot more detailed than those in the IE games.

Must I remind you that Baldur's Gate 2 happened 12 years ago, in an age of rapid development when 2 year old computer was considered "old"? Them, effect spells, looking better than that is no excuse for me. And just to evade being called anything "CoD" related (by anyone, not necessarily you)  I'll repeat - I know it's not even beta, and thus I'm almost certain the final product will be far more eye catching - I wouldn't have upgraded my reward tier otherwise (especially given the IRL circumstances).

Edited by milczyciel
  • Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.