Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals Pillars of Eternity Project Eternity Areas Companions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
594 replies to this topic

Poll: Stretch Goals? (2052 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

1. Voted I would love new stretch goals. (1591 votes [77.65%])

Percentage of vote: 77.65%

2. No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals. (458 votes [22.35%])

Percentage of vote: 22.35%

Vote

AstroZombie

AstroZombie

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am a very patient person, so I wouldn't mind a few extra stretch goals.

Azmodan

Azmodan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I voted "For". But I'd like to clarify - I do not want:

- stuff to be brought forward from any future expansion(s), this might compromise integrity of the narrative

- micro-DLCs

- hats

- "Horse Armour"

I would like stretch goals:

- An interesting extra character that does not fit the mould (e.g. Golem or Dire Bear or an "Undead")

- Let's dig deeper in the Endless Paths of Od-Nua - we have delved 15 levels deep, but as a stretch goal, I would happily support digging all the way to the toes!

- Additional, self-contained, wilderness areas that have no bearing on the main story, but flesh out some aspect of the world history

- Interactive history encyclopaedia - e.g. you are writing a World Almanac - how about bringing this with some "interactivity" into the game?

• Tychoxi, Posbi, BBBD and 5 others like this

Grape_You_In_The_Mouth

Grape_You_In_The_Mouth

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 77 posts

Ditto on the chainmail bikini.  I really want more stretch goals just to be able to back the project for the first time, and hopefully make the game as big as BG2 with some of my money used to patch issues that have jumped into production.

Stretch Goals

-Chris Avellone really plays Arcanum whilst reading a walkthrough and cursing Tim Cain

-More Outdoor areas

-Chainmail bikini

-Better enemy AI

-Extra balancing (i.e. Obsidian plays their game before we do)

• JFSOCC and milczyciel like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well since we're going into lists of stuff:

More VO
More Portraits
Contract George Ziets again :p
  • lolaldanee likes this

Vervain

Vervain

Warlord Prince of the Order

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I can deal with a delayed release if it means more content.

Obviously that means I'm personally fine with more stretch goals.

Edited by Vervain, 10 December 2013 - 05:03 PM.

• twincast likes this

TRoar

TRoar

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts

For me the question is (and an answer would be greatly appreciated), how does the planned content of PoE compare to BG2:SoA in terms of size and quality?

Are there roughly the same amount of areas? Similar amount of quests? Similar amount of npcs? Similar depth, complexity and quality for each of those?

If PoE is already on target to being that big, then personally I don't see a real need for more content. In that case, I think polishing the game should take priority.

I'm hoping for PoE to be similar to BG2, even if it means delaying the release.

If there's time for the team to add more polished content, then I'm all for it. A couple more npcs are always welcome, and I really like Azmodan's suggestion, "Additional, self-contained, wilderness areas that have no bearing on the main story, but flesh out some aspect of the world history," perhaps via some minor-medium sized quests.

Having said all that, I voted yes as I missed backing this project.

• Jobby likes this

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sounds like 'If we get enough more money from pledges in the Backer site, we can do more stuff - want?

I voted 'yes' - based on that quoted interview it sounds like a slight delay for a worthwhile addition.

A couple more companions to fill classes means you can try the class combinations you like while still having reactive companions (obviously the Adventurer's Hall (I nearly said 'Mart' :lol: ) gives more variety for classes but not the level of depth of a fully written NPC).

More wilderness areas? - I guess it depends what's in them ;)

Class-specific quests sounds cool.

To echo what others have said though:  Don't do anything you were planning for an expansion.  A TOTSC style expansion with new areas and side-story or a  TOB style expansion continuing the main story, either would suit me.

• twincast, Posbi, Paulicus and 2 others like this

milczyciel

milczyciel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Stretch Goals

-Chris Avellone really plays Arcanum whilst reading a walkthrough and cursing Tim Cain

Ok, so I voted against and I'm 100% sure about it, but that one would make me change my mind instantly :p

Nixl

Nixl

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I voted yes for more stretch goals. 

I am a fan of new companions and new/additional class mechanics or classes (if feasible). 

• twincast likes this

StrangeCat

StrangeCat

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think you could create a KickStarter Stretch Goal if you needed to add more things to the game for your expansion, or the game it's self. 

It would be successful people would back you and be happy to fund more money to your Project.

leaves4clovers

leaves4clovers

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

I voted yes since I love the idea of additional stretch goals. Anything which furher enhances the depth and immersion of the game is great in my eyes.

I have always been fond of wilderness areas and I'm curious to see what they have in mind. It would be great to see some deep forest areas with a lot of exploration. A stretch goal which would further enhance the core game (animation, spell effects etc) would be welcome as well.

• twincast likes this

cruelio

cruelio

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've seen too many kickstarters go "oh we were doing fine until we got all these stretch goals now the whole thing is delayed because the scope is so different and no one knows when it will finish or if it even will or if we'll have to ask for more money" to want even more stretch goals on top of the ones there already are..

Edited by cruelio, 10 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Epic Nick

Epic Nick

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Steam:epicnick_
  • PSN Portable ID:EpicNickcom
  • Xbox Gamertag:Epic Nick

I voted "For". But I'd like to clarify - I do not want:

- stuff to be brought forward from any future expansion(s), this might compromise integrity of the narrative

- micro-DLCs

- hats

- "Horse Armour"

I would like stretch goals:

- An interesting extra character that does not fit the mould (e.g. Golem or Dire Bear or an "Undead")

- Let's dig deeper in the Endless Paths of Od-Nua - we have delved 15 levels deep, but as a stretch goal, I would happily support digging all the way to the toes!

- Additional, self-contained, wilderness areas that have no bearing on the main story, but flesh out some aspect of the world history

- Interactive history encyclopaedia - e.g. you are writing a World Almanac - how about bringing this with some "interactivity" into the game?

I believe you have all that correct sir! More to the point I edited in bold, italics, underlined and increased in size... :blush: Please fogive a nub's first post.

• Paulicus and Azmodan like this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd prefer a bit more funding go into animations and fx. ;) You're guy's animation budget is horrendously low, and if we're going to have a bagillion choices of play-styles, then each race and character type should really have much more variety in their animations. With the most recent update to Unity Pro they added some great additions for animations which should make your guys jobs even easier. What I noticed in the trailer as nice as everything is coming together, I can't tell Jack from Jill, nor are there anything about the characters other than their armor or weapons that's really unique. The characters are all running with the same chicken wing pose as the rat creatures in the crystal cave too. I would really prefer someone had the mindset to give the races more unique silhouettes, & make their strides longer or shorter for example. Add some randomness to their idle animations, and combat animations. These types of games are fantastic, but if it's the same rig on 8 races and classes and the monsters all run like the humans, then it's going to feel stale real quick. Please add like 3X more animations. Heck I'll help you do it if you want. You might need to seriously outsource it to some folks, and I can make some recommendations if you want.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade, 10 December 2013 - 06:12 PM.

• theseez, Arhiippa, JFSOCC and 3 others like this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

The character animations are all alpha.

• twincast, Suen, Posbi and 7 others like this

jettomx

jettomx

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

More specific  information regarding the stretch goal would be greatly appreciated...

Gumbercules

Gumbercules

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 234 posts

The character animations are all alpha.

So are you confident that animations, effects, etc. will have enough time and money as is? Are companions and wilderness the only two stretch goal possibilities because you are satisfied with how everything else is shaping up?

Additionally, the number of current companions vs proposed additions is pretty obvious, but what about wilderness areas? Is the current scope close to the in-between-BG1-and-BG2 goal that was originally considered? If so, how much additional wilderness would the stretch goal add?

• twincast likes this

Frenetic Pony

Frenetic Pony

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Games always take more money than you think to make, and any project by a rule of the universe takes longer to complete than you think. That being said more funding is ALWAYS better. I'd be watching Star Citizen in awe too. So any more funding efforts are great for me. If I had to choose stretch goals I'd say:

#1 "Make the game better."

#2 Mo cap all animations, including detailed facial animations and hire Morgan Freeman to voice all characters.

#3 Develop real life unicorns using genetic engineering. Deliver to backers.

Edited by Frenetic Pony, 10 December 2013 - 07:18 PM.

• Bill Gates' Son and Wolfuera like this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I much rather the extra money goes just to more content (more maps, more quests) rather than some big new function (like a housing own system or tax system, or "buy up all Athkatla" or alignment changes and teammate conversions, or *pains* VO or *pains even more* side-activitities like playing golf or racing).

So yeah, voted NO

(I would only vote for a new companion if they are properly integrated into the storyline, unlike certain expansion characters or DLC characters *cough.* They would take FAR more time than designing a new area or quest. Although of course different people would work on both of them, so it really depends on the man-power and *what* manpower.)

Edited by Hassat Hunter, 10 December 2013 - 07:12 PM.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

So are you confident that animations, effects, etc. will have enough time and money as is? Are companions and wilderness the only two stretch goal possibilities because you are satisfied with how everything else is shaping up?

Additionally, the number of current companions vs proposed additions is pretty obvious, but what about wilderness areas? Is the current scope close to the in-between-BG1-and-BG2 goal that was originally considered? If so, how much additional wilderness would the stretch goal add?

We have scaled our scope to our budget, which includes animation and everything else.

The current wilderness area scope (specifically) is a little under BG2.  The exact number by which it would increase would likely depend on funding.  The goal isn't to turn it into BG1, but to hit that mid-point between the two BGs, so there's good exploration with solid content density.

• Goran, twincast, Suen and 14 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stretch Goals, Pillars of Eternity, Project Eternity, Areas, Companions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users