Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals Pillars of Eternity Project Eternity Areas Companions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
594 replies to this topic

Poll: Stretch Goals? (2052 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

1. Voted I would love new stretch goals. (1591 votes [77.65%])

Percentage of vote: 77.65%

2. No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals. (458 votes [22.35%])

Percentage of vote: 22.35%

Vote

Eurician

Eurician

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I´m honest: I voted against new Stretch Goals, because i do not think they could inbound new Stretch Goals without a heavy Delay.

Jhaningins

Jhaningins

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Personally this game is from beginning to end a dream come true! I never thought we'd get to enjoy these types of games ever again the way I did growing up. So the more content the merrier! I've been playing the good old stuff for ages now, so whats a few more months, for something even more amazing? I would love to fund stretch goals, for extra areas, and especially extra companions!!! 

• Fluffle, Fade Lee, AndreaColombo and 1 other like this

remiel005

remiel005

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is tough as a yes or no decision.

Would I like to see more companions?  Probably, but I'd like to see the existing ones fully developed and flushed out before that would ever happen.  In some of the games used to collect the original funding had characters with uneven back stories, goals and motivations.  If we just want more people or classes to fill the party it seems we can do that with custom made henchmen so every companion is going to have to shine.

I can take or leave wilderness areas if they exist solely to add time of me wondering around a mostly void map.  Some of the artwork is impressive, but not a fun addition if I'm clicking out next to a blackened area only to discover more pine trees when it comes into view.

I think most people's approval is based on the concept that cRPG supporters are willing to put money forth if the additional product would be worth it.  Example companions and wilderness(including what role they serve in exploration) would definitely help grease the wheels.

cornishr

cornishr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts

Aaaaaggghhh!!!!! There is just no reason for anybody to vote no for goodness sake. If you don't wish to pay more, fine, then don't. Surely, though, let those people who may be new or want to give more be able to do so? The only possible negative is a slightly delayed release. Delayed release??!! We've been waiting over a decade, surely a couple more months won't hurt for what would then BE A BIGGER, LONGER GAME WITH MORE LEVELS AND MORE COMPANIONS!!!

Vote yes and if you voted no, change your vote to yes.

Obsidian don't you let me down now; i want my Wild Orlan...

• PIP-Clownboy and barakav like this

Sistergoldring

Sistergoldring

Marshmallow Priestess of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I guess the question is do they really want to do more 'stuff' for the game?  I'm happy if they add stretch goals, I'll up my pledge depending on my post holiday budget and if I like what's on offer.  I don't really feel that strongly either way.

the.only.ara54

the.only.ara54

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

What I would like the most: quality. The best quality possible, please. I would go for "more refinement" over "more content" anytime.

If I'm disappointed by the game I might very well never finish it anyway, so more content won't really affect me.

However, if the game is super solid and fulfills its promises, I will happily buy one or two addons (not DLC, real addons) to have more content, convince my friends to buy it, and offer the game to those of them who didn't purchase it ;)

PS: should you go for more content anyway, wilderness is a great way to give a sense of a true exploration and adventure. This alone makes me prefer BG 1 over BG 2, despite the amazing improvements made in the second opus.

Edited by the.only.ara54, 12 January 2014 - 11:19 AM.

Pegasus Organs

Pegasus Organs

Kidney of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Steam:countingdown7
  • PSN Portable ID:pegasusorgans
  • Xbox Gamertag:countingdown7
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm all for more wilderness areas first, and companions second. The more companions you have, the more adventure areas you need. I know some are concerned with the game getting done on time, but I say TAKE YOUR TIME! I have yet to finish tons of games. I am in no hurry to get any more games on my plate, no matter how amazing (and this game is just what I love).  A large wilderness makes it easier to hide various locations in. It multiplies the feeling of exploration many times over. As for companions, that is one area Obsidian is known for.

By all means, take our money and give us MOAR!!!!

• JFSOCC, Fade Lee and Grivenger like this

Sir Chaox

Sir Chaox

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Has a decision been reached on this yet? I didn't notice any mention of it in the latest update...

Reever

Reever

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Has a decision been reached on this yet? I didn't notice any mention of it in the latest update...

They're still discussing it internally and have yet to reach a decision. So we'll still have to wait for a bit.

Chevron

Chevron

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ok so read 9 pages of this thread, but can't anymore.

So looks like more wilderness areas and companions are actually needed to make the game feel "complete". So bring the new stretch goals.

I'm not the type of person that plays the same game again later when new content is released. There's just too many games coming out these days.

Rather take a few extra months and make a proper game, than finishing it earlier and I play through it thinking "I wish the game had more of this".

Especially now since you've made a point that these are weaknesses you see in the game.

• JFSOCC, Fade Lee and Jobby like this

Shadowless

Shadowless

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Aaaaaggghhh!!!!! There is just no reason for anybody to vote no for goodness sake. If you don't wish to pay more, fine, then don't. Surely, though, let those people who may be new or want to give more be able to do so? The only possible negative is a slightly delayed release. Delayed release??!! We've been waiting over a decade, surely a couple more months won't hurt for what would then BE A BIGGER, LONGER GAME WITH MORE LEVELS AND MORE COMPANIONS!!!

Vote yes and if you voted no, change your vote to yes.

Obsidian don't you let me down now; i want my Wild Orlan...

I have to disagree, it is perfectly reasonable to vote no, mainly because we haven't actually been able to see what we are truly getting for our money.  If the game had been out and it was merely for an expansion or something it may be a different matter but I am fairly certain many are leary of having more stretch goals without seeing the end result of the kickstarter.

cornishr

cornishr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts

I  understand why people may be wary of giving more money. However, surely, if the choice is simply:

i  vote "yes" to let those who have come late or do wish to pay more and expand the game do so

ii. vote "no" and block any extra stuff.

It would be sheer folly to block more companions/wilderness levels. If enough people show an interest, obviously Obsidian would go into a little more detail of what we'd be getting and you can then decide whether to invest more, or not (and still get more stuff anyway!). We know what we'd be getting, Obsidian already told us. More wilderness exploration areas and (three) more companions. If half of the people don't want it, there's no point in Obsidian bothering. Obviously, the better/bigger the game, the more chance of a success, the more chance of future games etc., so i really can't comprehend why anybody would vote no. I can see why people might not want to give more money, but not why they'd vote no to others doing so. To me, it simply isn't rational thinking. Voting no is simply saying "no, i'd prefer a smaller, inferior game for the same price".

Edited by cornishr, 16 January 2014 - 09:51 PM.

Shadowless

Shadowless

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You seem to be very okay with giving up money without having an actual product, which I of course also did but, I don't see how having new wilderness areas and companions cannot be done by an expansion after we know what kind of quality we have recieved rather than giving more money for a non existing product.  It is folly in my mind to think we know what we would get with more money, "more wilderness exploration areas and 3 more companions" could be utterly terrible, whereas when we get to see the quality of the product first (I do not want to throw more money in based on nostalgia) and then pay for an expansion when we can be fairly reassured on what we are truly getting.  This isn't voting no to others having the ability to offer more, it is merely a poll of obsidian asking how the community feels about the idea.  If enough are against it, it is fairly obvious that the investment into the bonus features would probably not be worth the effort.  You seeing it as people voting no as denying those saying yes is IMO a bad way to look at it.

Ailantan

Ailantan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Steam:Ailantan
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So far my conclusions is that we are fine with more streach goal for a game if they have all they need for what they promised us, and now either have more money to spent on next streach goals or add even more content. Companions and more areas are also most desirable things to add into game, as mods made for BG2 for example - a lot of them consist of NPC mods that add companions into a game, or like for IWD 1 & 2 NPC Project Mod that for me is must play with after i tried it once. 

Only thing i would like to say i worry about is that i don't want empty wildeness areas like in BG1. I liked it, but its content were spread to thin.

Noviere

Noviere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I changed my vote to yes. My reason for voting no was initially driven by my desire to play the game sooner rather than later... But honestly? Even if it delayed the game by a month or two, it's not going to be the end of the world... And plus, more content(especially companions!) is a good thing. Not sure I'll be contributing more money though -- I'll have to wait and see.

Ffordesoon

Ffordesoon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Ffordesoon
  • Xbox Gamertag:Adobe Amena
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
After pondering this for a good long while (ever since the idea was originally introduced, actually), I have come to the conclusion that the new stretch goals are well-planned enough that scope creep seems mostly - if not entirely - avoidable. As such, I am for them.

Dawn_

Dawn_

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 89 posts

Depends which stretchgoals we're talking about and how much it will delay the whole release.

I wouldn't mind more depth to the companions rather than new ones and class quests.

• TMZuk likes this

VasiliiSikora

VasiliiSikora

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Will there be the possibility to kill any ingame character? I just loved that feature even if it was for just after saving before logging off ahaha, so that would be epic to see this carried through :p

Cubiq

Cubiq

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes, in one of the interviews they said it is currently free game to kill every character in game. But they also said that they are still discussing whether or not you are allowed to kill the few people related to the main quest.

Vansinne

Vansinne

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you feel you can make the game bigger, go for it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stretch Goals, Pillars of Eternity, Project Eternity, Areas, Companions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users