Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals Pillars of Eternity Project Eternity Areas Companions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
594 replies to this topic

Poll: Stretch Goals? (2052 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

1. Voted I would love new stretch goals. (1591 votes [77.65%])

Percentage of vote: 77.65%

2. No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals. (458 votes [22.35%])

Percentage of vote: 22.35%

Vote

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's DLC baby, DLC.

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is a difficult question to answer. I want some more stretch goals but not more than a couple or so. Mostly I just want Obsidian to improve the overall quality level as much as they can rather than add more stuff.

• eimatshya and the.only.ara54 like this

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3967 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

By the way, I did vote yes. To be honest, I'll take any additional content as long as it works out.

• Posbi likes this

diablo169

diablo169

Vorpal Bunny of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 155 posts

Asking if we want more added to the game halfway through development seems a bit silly. Finish the game you have budgeted and planned for already. Unless of course you've run out of money?

• keysersoze and ma_peche like this

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'd also like to know what the effect on development time would be. I'm sure the schedules would have to be reworked, but how long a delay would result from hitting these new stretch goals? 

This.

I am not really in favor of new Stretch Goals if that means that PE will be delayed in any significant way. I'm quiet honestly impatient to play PE and I can do without extra wilderness and companions if that means I get to play the game before Q4 2014.

If you can somehow develop these things alongside everything else though then that's perfectly fine.

• ma_peche likes this

Schelling

Schelling

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

More stretch goals? Sure, why not - but only if they further the game worlds ambitions in the way of being sensible parts of a large, immersive and coherent world and just not "static" or forced content for sake of "moar moar". That's my five pfennings...

• eimatshya, morrow1nd, AndreaColombo and 1 other like this

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This sounds slightly better than what I was imagining, but I'm still against stretch goals introduced this late in development. Keep that stuff for eventual expansions/add-ons and focus on the core game you've planned now. God knows you'll probably have to cut some stuff anyway.

• Oner, Ieo, Suen and 8 others like this

phesant33

phesant33

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

Yep, what I've seen to date is quality. They already said they would hit the current stretch goals in the op, the original game is not at risk as such. Its a simple question of more money for more content. 

Sabotin

Sabotin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

Barring cosmetic stuff and general enhancements, I'd save content additions for expansion and such. I mean you have the game all planned and set in stone, wouldn't throwing more stuff at it derail the thing? I know a lot of people point at Star Citizen, but I think that's a bit different kind of game, where the expansiveness and complexity is what it's all about.

• eimatshya likes this

Rabain

Rabain

Knight Hospitaller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the stretch goals they have listed are actually well thought out ones.  The wilderness areas especially can be farmed out to some of those external people mentioned before, they would just make the world larger.  NPC's are more complicated as they require much more integration with the entire game.

Anyhow I think more cash to Obsidian should be a good thing, after all they probably didn't need to do a KS project, they could have just picked up some random game from a publisher.  If more money into PE means they really consider this as a good long term investment for the company, we all win.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think most people want more NPCs. The selection right now is pretty small. Extra areas... that can wait.

• Chevron likes this

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10994 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer

Do I want more?! The answer is an obvious no, because I'm a contrarian.

I kind of need to know the give/take on the choices to be honest. Without stretch goals, do you focus on shipping and polishing what's already planned? With stretch goals might the release get pushed back, but you expect funding to make another leap that wouldn't happen otherwise?

• greenmonster and keysersoze like this

Goran

Goran

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts

What's wrong with having more content if the quality remains the same? Give us more stretch goals and if people are willing to pay/wait, they will.

Edited by Goran, 10 December 2013 - 02:53 PM.

• twincast likes this

ComradeGoby

ComradeGoby

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 73 posts

Why eat cats when you can breed them

Also echoing more clarification on what those goals would do

Edited by ComradeGoby, 10 December 2013 - 02:52 PM.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Even if it means less incentive for people to put in additional pledges/pre-orders: Please do not add more stretch goals, but use additional funds to polish what you intend to include at present, instead of adding more things.

• eimatshya, Alc Cides and cognatus like this

coffeetable

coffeetable

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Also, I couldn't care less about wilderness areas. They suffer from a very low content : effort ratio. More companions though I'd love to see.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3316 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I voted more stuff

I'd rather have the game jam packed with stuff to do (class quests, more stronghold, more animations, more companions (and more fleshed out), more banter, more interactivity, etc) rather than have the game sooner

EDIt: I don't really want or care for new areas just for more to do in the areas we have

Edited by ShadySands, 10 December 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Bill Gates' Son

Bill Gates' Son

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts

I would gladly take a slight delay in the development to get more companions (or maybe added as free DLC).  The number of companions we have right now is a little too small for my tastes, and I'm pretty sure many others agree.

But overall, I see nothing wrong with additional stretch goals, just as long as they don't slow down development heavily.  Perhaps any additional stretch goals that are met could be added to DLC or expansions?

• Lastan, wkal and Chevron like this

ayazha

ayazha

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

While extra content is always awesome, I think it might be for the best to leave that for an expansion.

That being said, I wouldn't mind funding one even before the actual game is out, seeing how it's probably more effective to start creating it sooner than later.

But obviously the most important thing is to have the main game feel solid and rounded. If it needs more resources for that to happen, then so be it.

• cognatus and keysersoze like this

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

more content: no, or at least not much

more companions and reactivity: hell yes

• Flow and Chevron like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stretch Goals, Pillars of Eternity, Project Eternity, Areas, Companions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users