New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals?  

2052 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

• I would love new stretch goals.
    • No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals.

I  understand why people may be wary of giving more money. However, surely, if the choice is simply:

i  vote "yes" to let those who have come late or do wish to pay more and expand the game do so

ii. vote "no" and block any extra stuff.

It would be sheer folly to block more companions/wilderness levels. If enough people show an interest, obviously Obsidian would go into a little more detail of what we'd be getting and you can then decide whether to invest more, or not (and still get more stuff anyway!). We know what we'd be getting, Obsidian already told us. More wilderness exploration areas and (three) more companions. If half of the people don't want it, there's no point in Obsidian bothering. Obviously, the better/bigger the game, the more chance of a success, the more chance of future games etc., so i really can't comprehend why anybody would vote no. I can see why people might not want to give more money, but not why they'd vote no to others doing so. To me, it simply isn't rational thinking. Voting no is simply saying "no, i'd prefer a smaller, inferior game for the same price".

Edited by cornishr

You seem to be very okay with giving up money without having an actual product, which I of course also did but, I don't see how having new wilderness areas and companions cannot be done by an expansion after we know what kind of quality we have recieved rather than giving more money for a non existing product.  It is folly in my mind to think we know what we would get with more money, "more wilderness exploration areas and 3 more companions" could be utterly terrible, whereas when we get to see the quality of the product first (I do not want to throw more money in based on nostalgia) and then pay for an expansion when we can be fairly reassured on what we are truly getting.  This isn't voting no to others having the ability to offer more, it is merely a poll of obsidian asking how the community feels about the idea.  If enough are against it, it is fairly obvious that the investment into the bonus features would probably not be worth the effort.  You seeing it as people voting no as denying those saying yes is IMO a bad way to look at it.

So far my conclusions is that we are fine with more streach goal for a game if they have all they need for what they promised us, and now either have more money to spent on next streach goals or add even more content. Companions and more areas are also most desirable things to add into game, as mods made for BG2 for example - a lot of them consist of NPC mods that add companions into a game, or like for IWD 1 & 2 NPC Project Mod that for me is must play with after i tried it once. 

Only thing i would like to say i worry about is that i don't want empty wildeness areas like in BG1. I liked it, but its content were spread to thin.

watcher_zps2e08ddad.jpg

I changed my vote to yes. My reason for voting no was initially driven by my desire to play the game sooner rather than later... But honestly? Even if it delayed the game by a month or two, it's not going to be the end of the world... And plus, more content(especially companions!) is a good thing. Not sure I'll be contributing more money though -- I'll have to wait and see.

After pondering this for a good long while (ever since the idea was originally introduced, actually), I have come to the conclusion that the new stretch goals are well-planned enough that scope creep seems mostly - if not entirely - avoidable. As such, I am for them.

Yes, in one of the interviews they said it is currently free game to kill every character in game. But they also said that they are still discussing whether or not you are allowed to kill the few people related to the main quest.

curious when this poll closes and we get to hear something.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

If you get the extra money you need for it then go ahead but I wouldn't put it as binding as a stretch goal, as I'd rather you divert that money to something else should you find it impossible to do it right.

In other words, if you get the extra money and it all works fine then go ahead, if you get the extra money but it doesn't work out then go ahead and use it to implement some other feature instead.  Also, remember, each back you get extra may mean less actual sales as they already get the game. :p I'll be certain to pressgang friends into buying it but I myself am already getting the collector's boxset, just a thought.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If new stretch goals were added, how would that work?  Would new KS pledges be accepted then?  My ulterior motive: I didn't hear about PE until after the KS was done, and I'd rather make a KS pledge than just preorder the game  :devil: