New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals?  

2052 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

• I would love new stretch goals.
    • No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals.

It's pretty obvious at this point that there is going to be a kickstarter; about the only reason they wouldn't is if the poll came back negative.

Although it does have a 77% "yes" rate, this is only from the hard core fan base, that regularly come to the forums to check for updates. Only about 1,700 ppl voted here, while the initial kickstarter had 73,986 backers.

Understood, but that doesn't negate my point. :) If the hard core fans didn't support it then it probably wouldn't fare too well. Per Lephys though, they may choose another approach.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's pretty obvious at this point that there is going to be a kickstarter; about the only reason they wouldn't is if the poll came back negative.

Although it does have a 77% "yes" rate, this is only from the hard core fan base, that regularly come to the forums to check for updates. Only about 1,700 ppl voted here, while the initial kickstarter had 73,986 backers.

That is more than enough sample size. The game is going to sell more than 80k copies so those backers are pretty the much the 'hardcore' anyway. Voting on a poll in the forums doesn't make you a hardcore fan. Putting down money 2 years in advance does. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

.That is more than enough sample size. The game is going to sell more than 80k copies so those backers are pretty the much the 'hardcore' anyway. Voting on a poll in the forums doesn't make you a hardcore fan. Putting down money 2 years in advance does. 

No, the ability to thrown money away in this day and age and then forgetting about it doesn't make you a "hardcore" fan at all. Just a fan.

There is a definitive difference of how much people are looking forward to the game between people who actually bother to keep up with the development, to people who don't even remember they backed it. It's common sense.

Edited by Cubiq

I would be open to additional goals, but this is the first game I've helped kickstart a game and as it stands right now, I'm in a "wait and see" mode.

I love what I've seen so far but I'd be much more inclined to donate more with a positive Beta experience. Basically, I need some more tangibles.

It is highly unlikely the stretch goal funding will be through Kickstarter, that would be like saying they made a mistake about the amount they wanted even though they got 3million+ that was way over the base amount they required during KS to make the game. I don't think a KS for stretch goals would actually garner any positive feedback from the media.  They'd jump on it as money grubbing regardless of what a "fan poll" said but open up a webstore on your own site and continue to sell game packages similar to the KS tiers and most people are fine about it.

To me all this stretch poll is asking is if the majority of existing backers are in favour of allowing funding to continue via selling packages or what not through their portal, allowing existing backers to upgrade for cash and allowing new backers to come on board.  Basically following the model a lot of recent kickstarters have used; continue funding after the KS on your own website.  It seems to me all they are really doing is testing the waters for a ****storm that might happen if they just opened it up without asking anyone what they thought.

• Like 3

What Obsidian are saying here, basically, is "would you like us to make the game bigger out of the money we get for the game?".

It won't cost you anything! If you don't want to pay more, simply don't. But there are those people who would prefer to give more, or those (such as myself) who came late, never heard of kickstarter until recently, who want to put money in. Are some of you people seriously saying "no, let's not take more money and get a bigger game." That's so silly! If you've put in maybe 50 dollars already, you don't have to pay any extra and you'll get more companions and levels. Such an obvious decision. Yes yes yes. It's a win win situation. If they don't put the extra funding into the game, it'll just be extra profit. Good of them to offer this new stuff if you ask me. The only possible negative is a slightly delayed release. Big deal; we've waited years already, what difference will a couple of extra months mean? It'll mean a Wild Orlan Chanter and more lovely wilderness areas. mmmmmm, wilderness...

So for goodness sake, see sense and vote yes!

• Like 3

Instead of adding more companions, I would rather have the ability to give a background and the resulting interactions to an Adventurer's Hall type character. Of course it can't be a separate background for every class, race, gender combination... but could be common ones for "Elvish Caster" or "Rangers of any race" and so on. As it stands now the choice is between companions with depth with class/race/... that might be unwanted, OR tailor made companions with no depth at all.

• Like 2

I'm totally fine with the current number of companions, provided that they will truly distinguish themselves through dialogues, personal side quests, interactions etc., to have a couple more of them would be great, obviously,  but I can wait to see them in a DLC. Wilderness areas yes please!!

Also adding new stretch goals is a good idea, that could mean that the dev team already has ideas for new content they would like to put in the game, that hopefully would make it better in the end, and feel confident to ask for more funding in able to do it. So yes, please do.

Edited by Mudkipzor
  • Like 1

Bring it on!

Since i'm purely interested in story companions the more of them there is the higher replay value. Wilderness areas? Surely there is nothing wrong with making the game bigger.

As long as it won't delay release too much (month would be acceptable, pushing it to 2015 probably not) those strech goals are win-win.

If it's not already in the cards, I'd love it if there's a nice game editor included. I have always wanted to create a game like this, but just don't understand the under workings in a game like PoE, so if you guys could create a modular world generator that gave a lot of re-playability for the dungeons or wilderness that would be superb! I know recently there was an article expressing interest in creating an open world version of PoE too, & that's along the lines I'm asking about.

I would adore more companions, but I can't justify saying "to heck with the development cycle, we need more things!" Of course, I understand Obsidian takes its job very seriously and would never compromise game integrity or renege on its promises, but having comfortable planning time and manpower produces a different product than the minimal planning time and manpower to produce the promised result. I'm sure that the game will be spectacular either way, but with more time to polish the details, entertain new ideas that designers or artists may come up with, all lead to a better game and might be compromised with more on the development plate. Even if all the new money raised goes to hiring new personnel to tackle the new content, this raises two issues. First, new personnel likely won't be the same caliber as the current dev team. Next, the new personnel still needs planning, leadership, and to interact with the other departments to produce a seamless product, thereby slowing development. I would prefer additional content be released at a later date as expansions. The backers would be paying for it either way (by buying the expansion or funding the stretch goals), but this way we'd get something sooner, and everything eventually.

I don't even know how many companions there are at this point. For all I know, they could have everything I could possibly want in the game and I'm in no position to say I need more before I know what I'm getting.

I voted for more stretch goals, but it was a close choice over voting against them. As it stands, I'm quite pleased with the the current goals and scope being met and am reluctant to support anything which may intrude on their total success. However, I do have faith in Obsidian. If the devs believe themselves capable of crafting even more with a bit more funding, then I will take them at that word and assist them to make it so. Especially if they want to spending it on making a more robust spellbook. Perhaps something that dwarfs even what the IE games offered (300+ spells).

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 2

I would adore more companions, but I can't justify saying "to heck with the development cycle, we need more things!" 

I don't even know how many companions there are at this point. For all I know, they could have everything I could possibly want in the game and I'm in no position to say I need more before I know what I'm getting.

Companions are one of the last things they implement, so there's still plenty of room in the development cycle.  There's a rogue, a wizard, a ranger, a priest, a cipher, a monk, and two others planned right now.  

They don't have the money, but would like to add companions for the rest of the classes.  They would like to add three more, so there's one companion from every class.  These companions could possibly be: a fighter, a chanter (bard), a barbarian, a druid, and a paladin. 

I voted for more stretch goals, but it was a close choice over voting against them. As it stands, I'm quite pleased with the the current goals and scope being met and am reluctant to support anything which may intrude on their total success. However, I do have faith in Obsidian. If the devs believe themselves capable of crafting even more with a bit more funding, then I will take them at that word and assist them to make it so. Especially if they want to spending it on making a more robust spellbook. Perhaps something that dwarfs even what the IE games offered (300+ spells).

I don't think they could do it in this game, the scope is from low to mid-tier, like the first Baldur's Gate.  I do look forward to seeing spells and skills scale up through the expansion and sequel though.  Considering that more characters have abilities, I wouldn't be surprised if it did eventually have more abilities.

Edited by anameforobsidian

Personally this game is from beginning to end a dream come true! I never thought we'd get to enjoy these types of games ever again the way I did growing up. So the more content the merrier! I've been playing the good old stuff for ages now, so whats a few more months, for something even more amazing? I would love to fund stretch goals, for extra areas, and especially extra companions!!! 

• Like 4

This is tough as a yes or no decision.

Would I like to see more companions?  Probably, but I'd like to see the existing ones fully developed and flushed out before that would ever happen.  In some of the games used to collect the original funding had characters with uneven back stories, goals and motivations.  If we just want more people or classes to fill the party it seems we can do that with custom made henchmen so every companion is going to have to shine.

I can take or leave wilderness areas if they exist solely to add time of me wondering around a mostly void map.  Some of the artwork is impressive, but not a fun addition if I'm clicking out next to a blackened area only to discover more pine trees when it comes into view.

I think most people's approval is based on the concept that cRPG supporters are willing to put money forth if the additional product would be worth it.  Example companions and wilderness(including what role they serve in exploration) would definitely help grease the wheels.

Aaaaaggghhh!!!!! There is just no reason for anybody to vote no for goodness sake. If you don't wish to pay more, fine, then don't. Surely, though, let those people who may be new or want to give more be able to do so? The only possible negative is a slightly delayed release. Delayed release??!! We've been waiting over a decade, surely a couple more months won't hurt for what would then BE A BIGGER, LONGER GAME WITH MORE LEVELS AND MORE COMPANIONS!!!

Vote yes and if you voted no, change your vote to yes.

Obsidian don't you let me down now; i want my Wild Orlan...

• Like 2

I guess the question is do they really want to do more 'stuff' for the game?  I'm happy if they add stretch goals, I'll up my pledge depending on my post holiday budget and if I like what's on offer.  I don't really feel that strongly either way.

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

What I would like the most: quality. The best quality possible, please. I would go for "more refinement" over "more content" anytime.

If I'm disappointed by the game I might very well never finish it anyway, so more content won't really affect me.

However, if the game is super solid and fulfills its promises, I will happily buy one or two addons (not DLC, real addons) to have more content, convince my friends to buy it, and offer the game to those of them who didn't purchase it ;)

PS: should you go for more content anyway, wilderness is a great way to give a sense of a true exploration and adventure. This alone makes me prefer BG 1 over BG 2, despite the amazing improvements made in the second opus.

Edited by the.only.ara54

I'm all for more wilderness areas first, and companions second. The more companions you have, the more adventure areas you need. I know some are concerned with the game getting done on time, but I say TAKE YOUR TIME! I have yet to finish tons of games. I am in no hurry to get any more games on my plate, no matter how amazing (and this game is just what I love).  A large wilderness makes it easier to hide various locations in. It multiplies the feeling of exploration many times over. As for companions, that is one area Obsidian is known for.

By all means, take our money and give us MOAR!!!!

• Like 3

Ok so read 9 pages of this thread, but can't anymore.

So looks like more wilderness areas and companions are actually needed to make the game feel "complete". So bring the new stretch goals.

I'm not the type of person that plays the same game again later when new content is released. There's just too many games coming out these days.

Rather take a few extra months and make a proper game, than finishing it earlier and I play through it thinking "I wish the game had more of this".

Especially now since you've made a point that these are weaknesses you see in the game.

• Like 3

Aaaaaggghhh!!!!! There is just no reason for anybody to vote no for goodness sake. If you don't wish to pay more, fine, then don't. Surely, though, let those people who may be new or want to give more be able to do so? The only possible negative is a slightly delayed release. Delayed release??!! We've been waiting over a decade, surely a couple more months won't hurt for what would then BE A BIGGER, LONGER GAME WITH MORE LEVELS AND MORE COMPANIONS!!!

Vote yes and if you voted no, change your vote to yes.

Obsidian don't you let me down now; i want my Wild Orlan...

I have to disagree, it is perfectly reasonable to vote no, mainly because we haven't actually been able to see what we are truly getting for our money.  If the game had been out and it was merely for an expansion or something it may be a different matter but I am fairly certain many are leary of having more stretch goals without seeing the end result of the kickstarter.