New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals?  

2052 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

• I would love new stretch goals.
    • No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals.

After reading through all those quotes I had to delete my vote for no, but not because I want to change it. I can't.

Sure, I buy Josh explanation/motivation and agree with many people that pointed out that the scope of BG1 wilderness areas was part of its charm. I also have to admit that having those additional 3 followers and thus covering all the classes in this regard is more than ok with me.

Said that I still can't vote for yes, because just as FrostPaw said:

plans don't always work out and sometimes **** happens you simply cannot plan for.

I won't be able to back you up with additional funds for more  or less 6 months. Even now I'm trying to upgrade my tier, but that's as far as I'll go simply because it's already irresponsible and unreasonable for a man who quit his job and whose PC just burned. Add some wild xmas spendings to the mix and voila.

So to make it short: I would go YES for the idea, but at the same time would have to go NO for giving you more money. At least for a while.

• Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

I would say "yes" in general BUT I have a few questions first:

1) How do you plan to collect money for additional stretch goals?

2) How do you plan to get the stretch goals done?

3) Will there be a postponement of the game in the case of new stretch goals reached?

35167v4.jpg

I pledged pretty high for me on this game.  I would love for more content but I will refrain from voting because I have no more money to contribute.  If other people want to pay to make this happen I'm all for it.  

No.  Please don't add anything that will cause the game to take additional time to release.

Even when it comes to these particular stretch goals, I'm not in favor of either of them.  I'm not really concerned with the length of the game; if it gets much longer all that means is there will be more content I likely won't see.  Adding more companions is pretty much the same:  I'm likely going to stick with a few favorites and adding more just means there is more development time going into content I won't see.

If anything were to be added - and you are 100% sure it couldn't possibly affect the release date, which I don't even believe is possible - I'd say fleshing out the current companions even more would be the best bet.  You probably can't spend too much time making the companions better.  (Well, except if you spend enough time to delay the game.  Then it's too much.)

I think someone on the first page mentioned:  can we vote for getting fewer things overall and have the game come out faster?  Because that's what I would vote for as well.  There is always room for expansions and DLC and user mods and whatever.  The core game just needs to have a solid foundation on which to build.

@ Sensuki, thanks for the quotes.

I voted no, but could change my mind depending on future clarification, and would likely contribute for the additional content/ stretch goal.

Although I think Josh Sawyer's intent is great, I'm a bit wary of adding additional companions at this point.  Of course, it could still be early enough in the process to make sure that they are integrated properly, but changing scope in this aspect of design would seem to be fairly tricky (though I have no real idea as I'm not in game development).  

The wilderness areas are less of an issue.

One thing I would say, is that if wilderness size increases, that we get a few more creature assets in place to ensure that there is variety.

• Like 1

I voted no, but could change my mind depending on future clarification, and would likely contribute for the additional content/ stretch goal.

Although I think Josh Sawyer's intent is great, I'm a bit wary of adding additional companions at this point.  Of course, it could still be early enough in the process to make sure that they are integrated properly, but changing scope in this aspect of design would seem to be fairly tricky (though I have no real idea as I'm not in game development).  

Did you see this bit?

No, actually.  While we do design our companions relatively early in development, we don't write them until we get closer to the end (e.g. I just started writing the first companion literally this morning).

I think someone on the first page mentioned:  can we vote for getting fewer things overall and have the game come out faster?  Because that's what I would vote for as well.  There is always room for expansions and DLC and user mods and whatever.  The core game just needs to have a solid foundation on which to build.

I'd agree except this is a spiritual successor to the IE games. One of the defining qualities of those games was their massive scope, and if PE falls short in that department it'll cause a lot of disappointment.

(which is rightly why the dev team is so nervous about it)

Edited by coffeetable
  • Like 1

@up

I agree. The thing that got me in some interviews, is that currently the game is somewhere between BG and BG2 in terms of scope and number of areas and quests, while it has 2 big cities (so 1 more than BG 2) and the biggest single dungeon I can remember (15 levels !!!). That means that there might really be not that much aside of these two big places, hence I would definitely welcome more wilderness/small hubs areas  

• Like 1

Did you see this bit?

No, actually.  While we do design our companions relatively early in development, we don't write them until we get closer to the end (e.g. I just started writing the first companion literally this morning).

I'd agree except this is a spiritual successor to the IE games. One of the defining qualities of those games was their massive scope, and if PE falls short in that department it'll cause a lot of disappointment.

(which is rightly why the dev team is so nervous about it)

No I did not, thank you.

However, It doesn't change the fact that additional NPC's  are a significant change in scope.  Actual implementation of a thing isn't the issue, it is the planning and whether such assets fit into an overall scheme.  This is a universal aspect that cuts across all design disciplines.  I will concede however, that not knowing game development, and specifically Obsidian's own process, this might be less of an issue than it I might think it to be.

Edited by curryinahurry

Anyone who is having a psychological problem with say another kickstarter and it's success in adding more to the game has to check out the Success of "Divinity Original Sin."

I say go for it!  whatever you need to make the game the game it needs to be.  "Divinity Orignal Sin" can do it then so can "Pillars of Eternity."

Whatever it takes to finish the project with out cutting corners.

I would preferr if you did not introduced new stretch goals but instead used any additional funds on what seems like the best way to spend those resources at the time.

If you feel like the game needs more QA, do more QA. If the game needs more polish, do more polish and if you think there is an opportunity to add new areas, go for it.

A problem with this is proposal is how the extra funding is going to be collected. If they request more funding from the existing backers, then they are limiting the potential amount. The contributors will consist of (i) existing backers who (ii) are interested in this expansion and (iii) are willing to ante up more money. Conservatively I'd expect the result would be up to 10% of the original amount, or no more than $400,000, if they sell it well.

I think they'll need to contemplate how to draw in new backers, possibly think up some enticing but inexpensive rewards, and plan a good sales pitch that doesn't backfire.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would like to see some extra companions, don't really care about extra wilderniss-maps.

However, it really depends if this will push back to delivery date.
Of this will delay the project, I would prefer them as a DLC or as an expansion pack.

Some additional information of Obsidian is needed, especially about the timing, to make a good call on this.

I'm voting yes in the hopes that these new stretch goals would be included in DLC instead of the full release. Like my compatriots, the thought of waiting longer for the full release is more tempting than the thought of the full release with extra wilderness and companions.

I'm somewhat torn on this; I welcome additional content, but only if it is not rushed.

So much this.

And as long as it's not cut out of the final edit. We've probably all played the fully restored BGII (seriously, how edited was Valygar?) and Kotor 2 so we know how much fantastic stuff we can lose out on, but considering this is self published it's not really an issue.

Make a stretch goal where if you get enough cash you WON'T do DLC. Just a full, wonderful game and expansion(s).

Class quests would be great, as would be race quests; another aspect of replay value and depth.

Defend stronghold missions?

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I would do horrendous things to get class quests into the game. So, needless to say, I would also just give money for it.

Other than that, it feels like a rather feature-complete adventure already...

Would love to fund additional DLC and expansions... and sequels.

Pretty much says it all in my opinion.

We need some class quests in Pillars of Eternity.

My opinion has probably been aired earlier in the threads by my good peers, however I will add my voice to the discussion: I prefer deeper and more involved companions than a larger number of said individuals, wilderness areas I would be more than happy to see blossom and thrive however. 

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yes please, more game more game more game! I'd rather pay more/wait longer if i have to; what i want is the biggest game possible. Once i've seen all areas of a game, the excitement fades. Only while i have unexplored areas do i really love it. Truly the more areas, the better. More game whatever it takes!