So, I've searched up the old topics from about a year ago. I checked the FAQ. I can clearly see the digital copy is DRM free (GOG and all), but I'm still wondering about the boxed copy itself. I know it shouldn't matter much, but I still want to know :)

Anything official about it?

✔ Certified Bat Food

As far as I know the only DRM related to Project Eternity is through Steam digital distribution. There is no reason to believe that the boxed copy will have DRM. Obsidian have also stated that there will be no additional DRM on the Steam version, so it is even possible you may be able to play the game without having Steam running - it's a request worth asking for anyway.

May be mentioned earlier, but definitely mentioned in Update #19, where it says for physical pledge tiers:

Box Version of Project Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux, with DVD and printed manual.

So no DRM.

Edited by Ink Blot
  • Like 1

the only DRM will be the steam client (it barely counts as such) if you want to get it there... otherwise it will be DRM free and rightly so, considering that DRM is a waste of resources

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Steam IS DRM, so if it requires Steam, then it isn't DRM free...

The key point here is, that Obsidian distributes the games via more than just one channel. They don't enforce any DRM on anyone, but if anyone wants to go with the Steam version instead of the GoG or boxed version, there's not much Obsidian can do. There's not a single game on Steam that works without Steam, so, yeah. If that's a problem, don't buy the Steam version.

• Like 1

Elan_song.gif

The key point here is, that Obsidian distributes the games via more than just one channel. They don't enforce any DRM on anyone, but if anyone wants to go with the Steam version instead of the GoG or boxed version, there's not much Obsidian can do. There's not a single game on Steam that works without Steam, so, yeah. If that's a problem, don't buy the Steam version.

Point of interest to me --> Wasn't the "box version" only available if you were a backer at certain tiers?  

General public "DRM Free" option is GOG, or Steam (barring, ofc the DRM inherent in the Steam client -- but then, it's not Obsidian who's putting out the game with DRM ... but rather the consumer who chose the DRM-laden distribution channel).

Edited by neo6874

Point of interest to me --> Wasn't the "box version" only available if you were a backer at certain tiers?  

General public "DRM Free" option is GOG, or Steam (barring, ofc the DRM inherent in the Steam client -- but then, it's not Obsidian who's putting out the game with DRM ... but rather the consumer who chose the DRM-laden distribution channel).

Yes the box was only available to certain tiers. Respectively it still is, if you update your pledge once the backer site is up (I guess).

I know there were discussions about the boxed version and if there's any possibility that Obsidian would still still make a normal retail version. inExile has partnered up with Nordic Games, if I recall correctly, so I wouldn't say the boxed version for "normal buyers" is completely dead. Who knows what happens, maybe they get a publishing deal with someone.

Elan_song.gif

As far as I know, there will be for example polish publisher. So why not in other countries. Of course in Poland digital market of video games is quite small, but still evrywhere are poeple who will be happy to have boxed version on their shelf.

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito