Guys stupid but honest question. What do you want so much from the backers site? What is the big deal about it that for example someone who isn't a backer is not going to get?

A secret handshake?

A few days after the new year, maybe. I can't imagine it's wise to release a critical project component with only one work-week left in the year, basically.

Is it really a critical project component? If they failed to make good on it, would P:E's development come to a screeching halt, the project would be shelved and the team would move on because a bunch of amateurs on the internet weren't telling them how to design a game on a special exclusive board for the people who paid in advance for the game? As opposed to all the amateurs who are telling them how to design the game right now, of course.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Is it possible to donate via the Project Eternity site "DONATE YOUR OWN AMOUNT" option and then when the Backer Site is up reclaim the rewards?

I hope so. Since I tripled my initial pledge through donations after the Kickstarter Campaign ended (I was between jobs at the time...), it would be very disappointing for me if I couldn't connect everything into one big pledge. But as far as I understood the last update info on the Backer Site, we will be able to connect everything we pledged (or donated) to our account there. ;)

FdSm3p1.png

That should be man weeks with a ?, rushed post. I think that's what Brandon was calculating sh1t on the schedule in. 37.0 man weeks is like 1.5 weeks for the Eternity team. It's definitely not 37 hours.

On the spreadsheet, the only thing with a higher amount of work than the Press Demo is Spells & Abilities - which is because that likely entails Design, Programming, Animation and VFX.

8OanPqR.png

Edited by Sensuki

So it's basically a pre-release cash shop, then? Interesting... If EA did that, people would be frothing at the mouth and recruiting more peasants to take them down. But then if your independently funded game is suddenly pulling numbers that make the next best project look like a joke in comparison, I guess you could say it's worth it. That kind of money is sufficient to develop and distribute a standard game, isn't? That's pretty insane.

On another note, does anyone know if we'll be able to back without using paypal when the site is up?

Well your message would make sense if EA and Obsidian had the same financial situation or the same role in the industry. I've nothing against financing the developper but I'd feel kinda confused if the distributor asked for money, i already consider him useless so...

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Well your message would make sense if EA and Obsidian had the same financial situation or the same role in the industry. I've nothing against financing the developper but I'd feel kinda confused if the distributor asked for money, i already consider him useless so...

The amount of hate the people who have basically been funding video games for years get is sort of funny.  I like Obsidian games I really do, I gladly funded PE.  But to insinuate EA or anyone else for that matter is some scum company and little guys are not guilty sometimes of the same things is just wrong.  Hell I couldn't even play the opening cinematic of New Vegas it was so buggy, not only did it look like crap due to some form of glitch but if I didn't skip it my game would crash.  That's the tip of the iceberg on that game too.  Meanwhile EA also has in house developers that they own and or manage themselves.  You guys may have no respect for the people who make Madden or Fifa games but I am pretty those are video games too and EA doesn't just "distribute" them.  Hell as average a product as Amalaur was it never would have even made it to market without EA.

So it's basically a pre-release cash shop, then? Interesting... If EA did that, people would be frothing at the mouth and recruiting more peasants to take them down. But then if your independently funded game is suddenly pulling numbers that make the next best project look like a joke in comparison, I guess you could say it's worth it. That kind of money is sufficient to develop and distribute a standard game, isn't? That's pretty insane.

On another note, does anyone know if we'll be able to back without using paypal when the site is up?

Publishers do ask for money. They were the ones who were nuts about pre-orders and season passes for future DLC packs. Those models used to be like the old crowd funding model for developers, now they're treated like investment capital and publishers have a real **** if they aren't making money sight unseen based on their marketing campaigns. 

The amount of hate the people who have basically been funding video games for years get is sort of funny.  I like Obsidian games I really do, I gladly funded PE.  But to insinuate EA or anyone else for that matter is some scum company and little guys are not guilty sometimes of the same things is just wrong.  Hell I couldn't even play the opening cinematic of New Vegas it was so buggy, not only did it look like crap due to some form of glitch but if I didn't skip it my game would crash.  That's the tip of the iceberg on that game too.  Meanwhile EA also has in house developers that they own and or manage themselves.  You guys may have no respect for the people who make Madden or Fifa games but I am pretty those are video games too and EA doesn't just "distribute" them.  Hell as average a product as Amalaur was it never would have even made it to market without EA.

That makes no sense, even your example rings of passing the blame. A good publisher is also responsible for shipping a good product regardless of their time table. If New Vegas wasn't ready to ship, then Bethesda shouldn't have shipped it. Considering how fast it was patched up to playability shows that they cared more about the release schedule than any sort of QA for the game. Knights of the Old Republic 2 was exactly the same. While the PC version was patched quickly and they acted like no harm was done, the Xbox version had game breaking bugs frequent enough for the game itself to tell you to save in multiple slots because your game was likely to kill itself and you'd have to start over. It isn't the developer's fault that a game is released with bugs because the release date is not their decision.

And bringing up cases like Amalur doesn't really help their case. That's how the publisher/developer relationship is supposed to work. Instead seeing money whoring and product domination in their place is crazy. Am I supposed to be grateful for that crap? Why did we crowd fund this game again?

He is spot on, in many sense kickstarter is glorified pre-order i.e. pay and pray. If EA did it i'd be frothing at the mouth, because it would fore and foremost benefit them, and **** gamers even further. The only reason I pledged was because in this case it was a necessary evil.

A good publisher is also responsible for shipping a good product regardless of their time table. If New Vegas wasn't ready to ship, then Bethesda shouldn't have shipped it. Considering how fast it was patched up to playability shows that they cared more about the release schedule than any sort of QA for the game.

Your post is built on the assumption that triple A title can be released at any time, regardless of consumer habits, proximity to other titles release dates, your own development cycle, etc.. I am just guessing that the contract that Beth offered came with an expected delivery quarter.. (p.s. I really find this blame game pointless, so please don't see this comment as taking sides)

Yeah I agree with you, ZeniMax Media did a **** job at QA for New Vegas ;)

More seriously, never said EA was scum, just that they're not in the same financial situation - again. And don't have the same source of funding.

Publishers do ask for money. They were the ones who were nuts about pre-orders and season passes for future DLC packs. Those models used to be like the old crowd funding model for developers, now they're treated like investment capital and publishers have a real **** if they aren't making money sight unseen based on their marketing campaigns.

I never said publishers don't ask for money, I mean, they're basically here for this only purpose (and publishing, which is useless now with all the downloadable clients, which is why so many games use particular (and sh*tty) interfaces).

in many sense kickstarter is glorified pre-order i.e. pay and pray.

That's the kind of point of view that only concern the buyer, for the guy who present his project, it's obviously not just a pre-order sell...

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Anybody notice this missing from their respective tiers?

"Digital Download of World Almanac +$15 (include in tiers $50 and above)"

Source: "http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

I did not see it listed in my 500$ tier.

I sent a message about that via the Contact Us link, but haven't heard back yet. They must be flooded with questions and whatnot, so it might take a while before we'll hear a definitive answer.

Ugh...

An error occurred processing your order. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact us.

But I don't want to try again later or contact You...

<huffing and stomping> I wan't to give you more money NOW!

;)

oh wait... right... I've quit my job two weeks ago... and my PC burned last Saturday...

God damn it!

<pure boiling anger>

Aaa to hell with being reasonable and responsible, and screw those stupid, good for nothing savings!

<refreshes order page and tries again>

Edited by milczyciel

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.