The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

Higher is better, yes, and they're different architecturally as well. That said, even if you have a 7850, the margin between it and the "minimum" 7870 is small enough that a modest overclock easily makes up the difference. If a 7870 can run something, the 7850 will too.

The minimum CPUs specified make for a pretty nonsensical comparison by the way. Listing the i5-2500 makes no sense when the listed AMD CPU is the Phenom 940. The previous generation Intel CPUs already easily outclass the AMD chip, so even if they claimed the minimum was an i5-750 (2.66GHz) which I'm running for example, it'd still be setting an unrealistically high mark compared to the Phenom.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

well im on the recomended with my FX8350 and the 8GB ram, but my HD7770 is below the minimum. so i guess my rig can handle it even if not at more than medium/low at best

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

well im on the recomended with my FX8350 and the 8GB ram, but my HD7770 is below the minimum. so i guess my rig can handle it even if not at more than medium/low at best

That's not always the case anymore.

Some newer games scale badly with resolution and won't provide playable framerate on lower-mid GPUs.

I feel you at least have to match new-gen consoles on all components. More ram and a stronger CPU but a weaker GPU isn't going to cut it.

Although... My PC runs Battlefield 4 better than consoles on a 6970.

Edited by Fighter

I'm truly shocked that there people who have decided to not play W3, guys this is one of the MOST anticipated fantasy RPG we have ever seen. Its going to be bigger than Skyrim...imagine how exciting it's going to be exploring that land   :dancing:  :dancing:

I beg you to reconsider any decision to not play this game 

As difficult as it is to believe, there are some of us who are immune to this series' charms. (I think Shamus Young encapsulates my feelings on The Witcher perfectly)

With so many "old school" RPGs being released, I have little desire to play some heavily-actionised AAA RPG, especially one that embodies almost everything I hate in fantasy settings.

Edited by 500MetricTonnes

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

I'm truly shocked that there people who have decided to not play W3, guys this is one of the MOST anticipated fantasy RPG we have ever seen. Its going to be bigger than Skyrim...imagine how exciting it's going to be exploring that land   :dancing:  :dancing:

I beg you to reconsider any decision to not play this game 

As difficult as it is to believe, there are some of us who are immune to this series' charms. (I think Shamus Young encapsulates my feelings on The Witcher perfectly)

With so many "old school" RPGs being released, I have little desire to play some heavily-actionised AAA RPG, especially one that embodies almost everything I hate in fantasy settings.

That was an interesting read but very critical of the Witcher games in all aspects ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I agree with some of that article as I hate the combat and Geralt but I like most of the rest of the game. I actually had a pretty good time with the first game even though I never finished it and when I was going to go back to it the second game was coming out so I just jumped to that one instead. Something about the second game really put me off and I ended up dropping it within a few hours and I've tried pushing through a few times but it just wasn't fun for me. I may pick up the third game eventually but probably not for a while as it's just not hitting the right buttons with me.

Free games updated 3/4/21

i dislike articles that are written in a way that presents personal biases as facts.

i never really had a problem with the combat, but if you play the witcher for the combat, you are playing the wrong game

to like or not Geralt is something completelly personal. i for once like him. i understand that some may not like him, but cultivating the impression that he is the worst game character ever is just wrong

if the locations are too similar, it is because of the book writter who opted for a more realistic medieval setting than the exotic high fantasy of Morrowind. the shape of the world serves a purpose and is not there to look cool

on the grey vs black&white part, i dont see why the later would be fun and the former not? maybe because the later requires no grey matter consumption every time you get to choose a dialogue line, since the end result will be the same? (pun intended).

on the sex part i agree when it comes to the first game. it was a sort of pokemon-esque "gotta F*** them all". on the second game however, sex scenes were part of the storytelling.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I never had that Morrowind / Mass Effect 1 feeling of, “Gosh! I can’t wait to see the next area!”

Uh, what in Mass Effect 1 ever gave that feeling. I like ME but still, heh. As an aside, who is this guy, anyway ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i dislike articles that are written in a way that presents personal biases as facts.

i never really had a problem with the combat, but if you play the witcher for the combat, you are playing the wrong game

to like or not Geralt is something completelly personal. i for once like him. i understand that some may not like him, but cultivating the impression that he is the worst game character ever is just wrong

if the locations are too similar, it is because of the book writter who opted for a more realistic medieval setting than the exotic high fantasy of Morrowind. the shape of the world serves a purpose and is not there to look cool

on the grey vs black&white part, i dont see why the later would be fun and the former not? maybe because the later requires no grey matter consumption every time you get to choose a dialogue line, since the end result will be the same? (pun intended).

on the sex part i agree when it comes to the first game. it was a sort of pokemon-esque "gotta F*** them all". on the second game however, sex scenes were part of the storytelling.

He was not objecting to moral complexity. He was talking about suffering from a case of what TVTropes calls Darkness Induced Audience Apathy, wherein nearly every character is so despicable or unlikeable that it becomes impossible to care about anything that happens. Some works can do moral complexity without verging into "I don't care what happens to these people!" territory, like in Obsidian games. But The Witcher is so unsubtle about its themes that it becomes intolerably obnoxious. During the first few hours of TW2, I kept wanting to slap the game in the face and say, "Yes, yes, TW2, I get it - humans are monsters. Now will you PLEASE put a sock in it?"

I won't deny that The Witcher games offer deeper choices than "Save the orphange" or "Burn the orphanage to the ground and relieve yourself on the ruins". But it doesn't do anything to make me care about the choices...something not helped by the fact that Geralt is such an awful, dull protagonist. As a general rule, if your game's main character's sole facial expression is a po-faced grimace, I probably won't enjoy it.

• Like 1

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

There was one sex scene in the middle chapter (which was incidentally the one cut out of the Australian version) that seemed like a throwback to Witcher 1 pointlessness (and New Vegas is guilty of it a bit too), but the others were reasonable character development acts, optional or no. They didn't feel like quest rewards or some sort of "you're done" achievement marker like Bioware ones generally do. Maybe the lesson here for game devs is to have 'em early, and have 'em often.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've often mulled this over:

Is sex part of the storytelling if its what you, the player, chooses as a completely optional path?

Mmmm....no I wouldn't say so. Romance can possibly be part of a story as your Romance arc can influence a characters actions but I don't consider the act of sex as part of the story? Its more a component of Romance  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He was not objecting to moral complexity. He was talking about suffering from a case of what TVTropes calls Darkness Induced Audience Apathy, wherein nearly every character is so despicable or unlikeable that it becomes impossible to care about anything that happens. Some works can do moral complexity without verging into "I don't care what happens to these people!" territory, like in Obsidian games. But The Witcher is so unsubtle about its themes that it becomes intolerably obnoxious. During the first few hours of TW2, I kept wanting to slap the game in the face and say, "Yes, yes, TW2, I get it - humans are monsters. Now will you PLEASE put a sock in it?"

I won't deny that The Witcher games offer deeper choices than "Save the orphange" or "Burn the orphanage to the ground and relieve yourself on the ruins". But it doesn't do anything to make me care about the choices...something not helped by the fact that Geralt is such an awful, dull protagonist. As a general rule, if your game's main character's sole facial expression is a po-faced grimace, I probably won't enjoy it.

and this is what im talking about when i say that some people consider their personal view as the universal truth.

from my point of view, the game shows most humans as ignorant sheep. they dont do what they do because they are evil but because they cant think with their own heads. so when one evil guy riles them up, they follow, commiting evil deeds without even realising it. and elves are like feminazis. they preach about equality and freedom but they follow their most basic instinct and just take revenge on whoever they feel like accusing for their mostly self inflicted plight. Geralt is walking the fine line between the two sides and when you are in a position from where you can see things from more than one point of view, you can see how wrong each of them is in their self righteousness and it makes you cynical

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 1

-Teknoman2-

Hmmm, not as fine as the second games trailers, a complaint I keep making unfortunately.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Announcement of further press. Almost announcement of an announcement, I guess. A teensy bit of gameplay

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

YouTube is trying to kill my eyes. Since weeks now I can hardly watch the 144p version of videos. The buffering is so damn slow, it's most fun not to use YouTube at all...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Announcement of further press. Almost announcement of an announcement, I guess. A teensy bit of gameplay

It looks excellent, as I expect it to look 

John Milton