The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

They've shown Geralt with a couple of different haircuts and beard/clean shaven looks so far so I'd assume that barbers will be about.

What sort of madman would shave off Geralt's glorious beard?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The maddest man.

When TW2 came out, I actually liked Geralt the most with his default TW2 hair. Now that I am replaying it, somehow I became a huge fan of the undercut-style. Never liked the loose hair, because it looked so fake / stiff to me.

Now that I am thinking about it, are there any hair mods for TW1? Might start to play it again, if I can change Geralts appearance. :p

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm replaying TW1 right now, and Geralt's face and body shape are so much better IMO than what they're showing now for TW3. The old Geralt's face was distinct, memorable, weathered, his body lean and worn, this new Geralt is Generic CoolAss Action Hero #223 with bulging muscles and dumb Team America looks. I usually don't bother a whole lot with looks in games, but Geralt's looks became iconic for me.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I'm replaying TW1 right now, and Geralt's face and body shape are so much better IMO than what they're showing now for TW3. The old Geralt's face was distinct, memorable, weathered, his body lean and worn, this new Geralt is Generic CoolAss Action Hero #223 with bulging muscles and dumb Team America looks. I usually don't bother a whole lot with looks in games, but Geralt's looks became iconic for me.

If you let Letho live he hooks you up with some anabolics as repayment.  

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

To say something positive, because I'm positive about the game generally:

The Witcher AI engine was pretty good even in back in '04, with the NPCs hurrying to find shelter from rain, from example. When I saw Geralt riding close to people in Novigrad, I thought "What if he rides the horse into people? Will they scurry out of the way, cursing the careless rider?". And sure enough, we saw an example of somebody hurriedly trying to avoid being trampled -- that's an amazingly well done small detail. So far it's the Witcher series that gave me the most immersive city experiences among RPGs, and it seems they've taken that to the next level. Good job.

Their promise of "no quest without at least a bit of unique story" is a big one. I'm still on the fence about it -- lots of side quests in an open world RPG either means a really good and long RPG or one filled with chore after chore. I hope they'll be able to keep that promise.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

It's cool to think that CD Project's continued success might spearhead an entire generation of young Polish deveopers coming to the gaming industry.. I hope eastern Europe takes this to heart - there's plenty of room for them to innovate in.

• Like 6

Fortune favors the bald.

It's cool to think that CD Project's continued success might spearhead an entire generation of young Polish deveopers coming to the gaming industry.. I hope eastern Europe takes this to heart - there's plenty of room for them to innovate in.

They have a tactical advantage, too, in that developers there grew up in a culture that is broadly similar* to that of Western markets, but also the cost of living is generally much cheaper than the other countries with major game development industries: US, UK, France, Japan.  So you can sell your game at U.S. prices but pay your employees Poland salaries.  Ergo, more game for us!  Between that and the fact that they're essentially independent, I honestly think that explains a lot of their ability to execute as well on their games as they do.

The Witcher 3's GLORIOUS wolf fur:

Sweet baby Jesus, I'm going to need a second 780Ti to max this out, aren't I?

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That's exactly why I hesitate to preorder right away for pc because they haven't and probably won't for another few months. I'm assuming I'll be playing this on the ps4 which I'm not too hurt about since I believe the devs will do all they can to make it a great experience by pushing the system.

I'm always sad when wolves are used as enemies :( Poor wolves are in reality quite shy and extremely unlikely to attack humans... I know it's a fantasy world but there's already such an insane amount irrational fear surrounding the beasties (at least in these parts, where wolves are extinct and might finally slowly start reappearing in the coming years)...

• Like 4

I'm always sad when wolves are used as enemies :( Poor wolves are in reality quite shy and extremely unlikely to attack humans... I know it's a fantasy world but there's already such an insane amount irrational fear surrounding the beasties (at least in these parts, where wolves are extinct and might finally slowly start reappearing in the coming years)...

I agree, I felt bad in AC3....I killed loads of wolves and sometimes it didn't feel right

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's worse when your Mastiff is lying across your feet and looks up at you quizzically when the wolves are yipping and crying in death, I feel like such a bounder. That said the game does have these wolves behaving unnaturally because of the monster that is present in the forest, a Lyshee or somesuch?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I agree, I felt bad in AC3....I killed loads of wolves and sometimes it didn't feel right

It's just a game but realistic safari isn't going to appeal to everyone. As a gameplay feature I thought it was pretty redundant since you're already hunting humans who were more varied, had better AI and were more difficult, meaning that all the animals were already less of a challenge than what players were already adjusted to. A hunger games scenario in the AC games could be pretty fun though. Or really just a Hunger Games game. Someone should get on that.  

• Like 1

The Hunger Games based side activity in Guild Wars 2 was a massive success both times it appeared.

There definitely is money to be made there

Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 1

I have no reservations about killing wolves.  I don't feel great about it, but it doesn't bother me either.  Killing rats, on the other hand, always makes me nauseous, so I avoid it in games whenever possible, the rodent lover that I am. 

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That's how I feel about Beholders. Every time I stab one in its central eye and all the little eyes look at me all sad, it makes me feel terrible.

:lol: Yeah they such cuddly and endearing critters

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's how I feel about Beholders. Every time I stab one in its central eye and all the little eyes look at me all sad, it makes me feel terrible.

:lol: Yeah they such cuddly and endearing critters

It's true.  They're indigenous to my area and they wouldn't hurt a fly.  I think their bizarre appearance gives them a bad rap.  :shifty:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Spectator : Visitors! It has been some time since I have had anyone but the mad little Sahuagin come to this place... and that one is not full of riveting conversation.Ah --- but I see you hesitate. No doubt you have heard of my kind before, or even met some. You call us Beholders... yes, I think that is the term you use.I am but a Spectator Beholder, however, and not quite like others you may have met. I am set in this place to guard one thing and one thing only.I will not attack you... unless you try to touch what I guard. Touch anything else you'd like! Provided you weren't driven insane by the imps back there.

Character : What is it, exactly, that you guard?

Spectator : Just the one chest behind me. You are welcome to open the others with the imps, or do whatever else... I'm not here to do anything about them in the slightest.I think the Sahuagin looted the other chests long ago. They might have put some stuff of theirs around here, though, thinking I would scare off thieves.... oh, that reminds me. I promised that mad little Sahuagin that I would make an effort to scare off intruders...So... boo!And that's about as much effort as I'm willing to put into that. (sigh) It's been a pretty lonely experience so far, you know.

Character : Just how did you end up here, anyway?

Spectator : Mmm. I was summoned by a mad little drow who took over this part of the Sahuagin city a long time ago. This chest was extremely important to him, apparently.The Sahuagin were attacking, and he didn't want them to get the chest after he died... so 'POOF!' in I came, attached to a 99 year contract. Only 40 years to go.The drow wasn't much more entertaining than the Sahuagin, really. He smelled better, though. I don't think I'll ever be able to stomach fish again... yech.To top it off, I got stuck with the drow's imps, too, which are bound here but keep teleporting away from the Sahuagin. I wish they would just go away.I mean, I can only play 'I spy' and 'peek-a-boo' so many times without getting tired of it, but not THEM, oh no. Rotten impish bastards.

Character : Is there no way I can convince you to let me see what's in that chest you guard?

Spectator : What? Are you in desperate need, or something? You have a dying relative that desperately needs what's in this chest?OH, I get it! You just HAVE to have what's in this chest, right? Because if a Beholder's guarding it, it HAS to be cool!Keep in mind that the drow who summoned me was mad. But, hey, who am I to judge, I suppose. I've been playing tic-tac-toe with a pair of imps for sixty years.... sigh...Oh... in case you didn't hear an answer in that: no, you CAN'T look at what's in the chest. The drow specifically summoned me to guard *this* chest.

Character : Tell me... did this drow wizard summon you to guard the chest or what's *in* the chest?

Spectator : Hmmmn. Well, he screamed 'my chest', as I recall. A spear was being thrust through his own chest at the time, though, so he could have been referring to that.I assume he was talking about *this* chest, though. And that means I can't let you open it... or do anything to it... even if I'm not guarding what's inside.

Character : But that doesn't mean *you* can't open it, right? Then I could get what's inside without touching anything.

Spectator : Hmmn. Actually, I've been wondering what was inside. Tell you what... I won't turn around and you just go take a look, ok?Do-de-dum-de-doo-de-dum-dum...Hmph. Is that it? Shoot, you'd have thought the whole future of the drow race depended on it or something, the way that mad drow was screaming.(sigh) I suppose I have to resign myself, now, to guarding a completely empty chest for the next forty years. Yay.

Character : Why? What would be the point?

Spectator : Huh. You know... you're absolutely right. Not even that drow mage would want me to guard an empty chest. It's not even a *nice* chest.There's no way that the Beholder Council, bloated bladder-bags that they are, would hold me responsible for this contract! I... I'm free! Free!! Yippee!

What to do now? Hmmn. Kill the imps... yeah. Those bastards deserve to die. But first I'm gonna go eat something. You have *no* idea how hungry I am.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There is an interview out, made at SDCC, with Doug C ockle, voice of Geralt.

For me, the interesting part is when Doug is asked about where he gets the inspiration for Geralt's voice/personality. He relates that during the audition process, Boris, a guy in charge of the audition on CDPR's part, told him to base it on Clint Eastwood's unfazed, hardened, low-emotion style, especially Dirty Harry. Now thank I think about it, that inspiration certainly comes through!

Edited by Endrosz
  • Like 4