The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

Hmmm it has the two features of combat I thought personally were missing from the second game, strafing the opponent and more variety in escape methods, I think somebody went back and played Severance. The detective vision seems a little too overt, one would have thought a search for spoor and clues was more in order. The environmental navigation seems very Assassin's Creed-ish, which is no bad thing.

Seemed a touch stuttery, i'm assuming that was because of console limitations, 30 fps and such.

Edit: Not sure about the UI, looks too much like the second games for my personal comfort, far preferred the first games in this instance.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Not a fan of the cut-scene killing of the Gryphon.  I'd rather kill the monster myself.  I though the rest looked great.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The griffin fight needed more work in general. The thing with Arkham style combat is that it's usually made with more-or-less average sized humanoids in mind, and trying to fit a griffin into that looks a bit funny. The fight was at its best when the griffin leapt around and attempted dive attacks, doing stuff like a griffin probably would, but at the ground the attacks looked weak and the monster stood oddly still.

Now, I'm not looking for a Nargacuga fight in a Witcher game (though that'd be amazing) but I hope the monster behaviour will look a bit better few months from now.

Not a fan of the cut-scene killing of the Gryphon.  I'd rather kill the monster myself.  I though the rest looked great.

To me it looks like it's probably still part of the intro. Because right after the health bar was down, the cutscene started and Geralt was walking into the city. I've seen that stuff usually only at the beginning of a game, when you are still able to get force-teleported around without the player being angry about it for whatever reason.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Here's the same gameplay demo played by different people. The player here is actually quite good and sidesteps a lot of the enemy moves perfectly, pushes enemies and uses signs effectively, and to my pleasant surprise, the griffin has a rush move when there's distance, and it doesn't just ineffectively try to swipe at you while on the ground

• Like 3

Looking good, my chances of a pre-order just went up again.

Just noticed the pre-combat quaffing of potions is still in. I guess that's okay as long as you don't end up dead whenever you run into something you didn't anticipate, though while I can understand it from a realism perspective (see the trailer of Witcher 1) I still find it a questionable gameplay mechanic. But I'm hopeful it will be better implemented than in W2 (couldn't really judge becuase I had to watch the video without sound).

The rest looked like net improvements though (barring the remarks already made about the Griffon fight). Excitement++

Gryphon Hunting Gameplay

I wonder if it's possible to save the guy getting attacked by the thugs?  Also, I'm assuming you have the option to get some sexy time with the attractive lady (witch? herbalist?) later on.

Nice trailer and it only adds to the excitement of this games release.

Keyrock its also good to see you asking questions around Romance, this is the level I want all fans of RPG to get to where we assume Romance will be part of the RPG journey. You can see in the example of the video where it would make perfect sense to Geralt and his own experiences, especially where he says  " I'll be back later to check on things" :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Keyrock its also good to see you asking questions around Romance

I think you're confusing romance and casual ploughing.

Romance and casual ploughing can be terms that are interchangeable. I am supportive of both in RPG for different reasons but I do think they have some similarities  :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just don't get why is it assumed in the cutscene that the player was originally hacking away at the gryphon with the steel sword. I mean, really, based on its efficiency vs. monsters in the previous two games, it just makes Geralt look like an idiot.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I just don't get why is it assumed in the cutscene that the player was originally hacking away at the gryphon with the steel sword. I mean, really, based on its efficiency vs. monsters in the previous two games, it just makes Geralt look like an idiot.

According to a CD Projekt dev that posts on Something Awful, steel is actually the way to go with griffins.

Was there any monster in TW2 (didn't finished TW1) that actually needed the steel sword? It always annoyed me a bit that everyone assumed the steel was against humans and silver against monsters. But I think the games never did anything against this talk, no?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Huh? There was always a marked difference in effectiveness, to the point that sometimes if you had the wrong sword by mistake it felt like you were slicing a tree with a butter knife.

I used Broom.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If I try to remember back, then I just don't remember any situation where using the silver sword vs. monsters in TW2 was not effective.

• Like 1

Was there any monster in TW2 (didn't finished TW1) that actually needed the steel sword? It always annoyed me a bit that everyone assumed the steel was against humans and silver against monsters. But I think the games never did anything against this talk, no?

TW1 certainly made it known that silver was not always the way to go against monsters. Aside from the often pretty clear difference in effectiveness it was also listed in the book you could buy that described the monster which sword and stances were most effective.

Dunno about TW2 though since I didn't manage to finish that one (which I need to fix before TW3 is released, so I still have time ;)) :p

• Like 1

TW1 certainly made it known that silver was not always the way to go against monsters. Aside from the often pretty clear difference in effectiveness it was also listed in the book you could buy that described the monster which sword and stances were most effective.

Dunno about TW2 though since I didn't manage to finish that one (which I need to fix before TW3 is released, so I still have time ;)) :p

You naughty boy, I can't believe a hard core and committed RPG fan like you hasn't finished one of the great RPG like TW2....but as you said you do have time before the anticipated launch of TW3 :thumbsup:

John Milton 

I know nobody else who has roided up arms like that. The other witchers from the first game will play an significant part in 3, that much we know from trailers and the secret letter in the newest one, so if Letho will reappear...

fry-futurama-foaming-mouth-want-foam-135

My favorite foil in an RPG since Delita!

I wonder how they'll deal with this potential problem if you chose to do the fighting option at the end of TW2.

They'll ignore it, they've said in the past that they'll limit the impact of decisions in previous games if they see it fit (ie. overrule them).

Already have the medallion from the witcher 2 dark edition, so no reason to buy CE for this one ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I somewhat doubt that, not only is it disrespectful for the player, but the save import from the first game acknowledges a similar large characters (in this case Adda and Siegfried's) death or survival. I just assume that the Viper will not be there to help you in pursuing Emhyr's agenda of hunting the Hunt, though another Viper or an imperial agent of some sought may be on hand.

Edit: I suspect one of the reasons for the delay was to make more impactful consequences for save imports.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

I somewhat doubt that, not only is it disrespectful for the player, but the save import from the first game acknowledges a similar large characters (in this case Adda and Siegfried's) death or survival. I just assume that the Viper will not be there to help you in pursuing Emhyr's agenda of hunting the Hunt, though another Viper or an imperial agent of some sought may be on hand.

Edit: I suspect one of the reasons for the delay was to make more impactful consequences for save imports.

I wish I could find the quote for that, but it's definite I've heard someone say it - maybe I'll take a look for it later. Not sure if it was re 3 or for 2. Personally doesn't matter, as I'm switching platforms again, but it's something to consider at least as a possibility.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've seen a similar conversation where the devs stated that the plot came first, and that Geralt's intentions might not play out the way he wished. I assume that means despite the politicing and power plays at Loc Muinne the Northern Kingdoms are overtaken by events, for instance Anais may take the throne of Temeria, but in reality half the country is gone before any effective opposition can be raised, rendering that choice somewhat moot due to unexpected events. With a solid event such as Letho's disembowelment however, there isn't much room for perspective in my opinion, hopefully anyway.

Tea for the teapot!

Nice, Malc I imagine you will have Geralt spending loads of time in the brothel district ? :sweat:

John Milton