The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

I remember trying to drink potions during combat in the Gothic games. The nameless dude slowly picked up a flask from his belt, started fiddling with the cork and promptly died. He drank it in real-time! It was hilarious.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I though The Witcher 2 took it maybe a bit too far with not allowing you to drink potions at all during combat, although, from a realism standpoint, would you really be reaching for a flask or vial, even one conveniently strapped to your belt (just waiting to get shattered), while a pack of wolves is jumping at you or some guys are trying to spill your bowels with swords?  Anyway, I like that approach better than the absolutely ridiculous Elder Scrolls approach:

3 draugr are relentlessly attacking out intrepid hero.  Suddenly, they freeze mid-swing.  The hero calmly sets down his weapon and removes his invisible backpack.  He sets the pack on the ground and opens it up.  After rummaging through the pack he produces 5 flasks, a roasted piece of chicken, a mug of beer, a pepper mill, some cutlery, and a blanket.  The hero calmly sets the blanket on the ground, mere inches away from a frozen in time axe, then neatly arranges the food and potions atop it and sits down.  15 minutes later, after finishing his feast, the hero tosses the chicken bones and empty flasks away, packs up the blanket and cutlery, puts the invisible backpack back on, grabs his weapon, then magically the draugr unfreeze and the battle continues.

Ideally, you should be able to drink potions during battle, but it should be fairly time consuming and you either can't move while you're performing this action, or your movement rate is severely decreased (try drinking something while running full speed, it doesn't work too well).

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I will now attempt to drink things while moving at various speeds.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ideally, you should be able to drink potions during battle, but it should be fairly time consuming and you either can't move while you're performing this action, or your movement rate is severely decreased (try drinking something while running full speed, it doesn't work too well).

Wasn't this how it worked in the first Witcher? While not as epicly slow as mkreku's description of Gothic it was still something that left you vulnerable for the time it took Geralt to drink the potion.

As for shattering the vials, I always considered them to be some sort of metal/steel containers rather than plain glass, otherwise the way he wears them on him would probably result in no potions after a battle, whether he used them or not... ;-)

In Witcher 1, Quen was used to set up an impenetrable shield during combat to drink potions.

To be more exact: you should be able to quickly pop a potion when you spot enemies in the distance. In Witcher 2 you need to enter meditation mode.

• Like 2

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I will now attempt to drink things while moving at various speeds.

Please document your findings thoroughly and report back to us.  A video of the experiments would be much appreciated.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In Witcher 1, Quen was used to set up an impenetrable shield during combat to drink potions.

To be more exact: you should be able to quickly pop a potion when you spot enemies in the distance. In Witcher 2 you need to enter meditation mode.

Agreed.  I'm all for being able to drink a potion before the enemies are upon you, or if you manage to somehow put a good bit of distance between yourself and them.  Being able to drink potions while engaged in melee should be either impossible, or come with a steep price (attack of opportunity-a-palooza).

As an aside, they need to de-god mode-ify Quen in Twitcher 3.  That sign was insanely overpowered in TW2.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I believe that the potions are dealt with in two way in the third game, the preparation method of Assassins of Kings, and a second class of potions which can be supressed by Geralt's metabolism and the effects released when he sees fit. Mid combat or whenever.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

In the Kaedweni camp? Hmmm that's quite an intriguing idea, Ones first impressions were of the Empress whom Emhyr replaced Ciri with, but I suppose your idea is very possible. Certainly create an interesting dynamic between the Emperor, the Witcher and the two sorceresses.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Considering she lost her memory and her demeanor it would make sense. Not to forget according to Letho she tried to seduce Auckes.

Yes it would be in character I agree, though I don't know if it would be for Emhyr.

Edit: Personally I never saw Philippa as being particularly evil, she was just a child of her times and playing the same game as the rest of the power brokers of the North.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Supposedly The Witcher 3 will have 36 different endings, though just how different each of those endings is remains to be seen.  It would be pretty hilarious if it was just essentially the same ending with 36 different color explosions.

:lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I've heard that it's 3 different endings in 3 seperate areas, and 36 different ending states of the world. Don't know how true this is though.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

On the plus side, if they do go with the same ending with 36 different color explosions, they'll likely get a bunch of cupcakes mailed to them with different color frosting.  It will also be a challenge to the both the developers and the cupcake bakers to find that many different hues of explosions/frosting that you could still tell apart easily.

:wowey:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

There are 36 different endings because there are 36 different females waiting to be bed by our esteemed witcher. Not that i mind that really.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy