I bloody hope not. I've never seen a situation where Bloom (or Depth of Field) makes a game look better. They're usually the go to effects to gloss over low res 3D textures, since Eternity is 2D it won't need either.

Edited by Sensuki

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to share a really awesome piece of fan art that we received this morning from Chris Bischoff. It's inspired from the Twin Elms concepts that we released in our last update.

If Chris' name sounds familiar it's because he has his own Kickstarter going for the game STASIS. If you haven't checked it out yet you should. What's not to like about a 2D, isometric, sci-fi, horror adventure game? It's in its last few days so lets help him push it over the edge and get it fully funded.

pe-chris-bischoff-twin-elms-fan-art-smal

Click for a larger image.

Nice concept,though not how I imagined it, there is nothing saying second large town about it. I thought 'Twin elms' would be like Kuldahar in IWD, centered around the tree\s and embedded into the surrounding only much larger.
  • Like 1

DoF in FoxEngine is pretty impressive. Although subtle it adds significant amount of realism to the visuals - it's based on a real world lens parameters like f-stop and focal lenght. And it's used sparingly. 

I agree about the bloom, though. It's both overused and overrated. It can be used effectively to add a dreamlike mood to the game/scene but nowadays it's there just to conceal texture or mesh resolution deficiencies.

DoF effect was used in Commandos on a couple of occasions for background separation (and this game's graphics are simply beautiful). 

Edited by Solviulnir the Soulbinder

Eh, I agree that bloom is often overused, but I do think it adds to an image when used sparingly (for bright light sources and sharp reflections).  HDR is even better, though.  As rjshae says, it's mostly pointless for a 2D prerendered environment without an abstraction of sun movement (except to brighten/darken the image, as I remember this works).  If spell effects, torches and the like use bloom (as we've seen overemphasized in a screenshot p. 20), which is a postprocessing effect, the environment likely uses it too.

Anyway, I'm not particularly concerned about bloom - so long as it isn't anywhere near as overwhelming as that screeny; I'm more interested in the other lighting effects that can be painted in like lightrays.

That's just an overemphasized flare, on page 20.

Yes, but it's also almost certainly bloom (a whole lot of bloom).

Light rays can likely be simulated by graphical overlays with an alpha layer, depending on the time of day of course.

Thank you.  I don't want to play the bloom game anymore. :no:

But do you fear it might look odd with the panning camera if not coming from map boundaries?

Light rays can likely be simulated by graphical overlays with an alpha layer, depending on the time of day of course.

Thank you.  I don't want to play the bloom game anymore. :no:

But do you fear it might look odd with the panning camera if not coming from map boundaries?

Panning camera? I thought it was a fixed perspective?

The light rays should follow the same projection as the shadows. So... maybe 10-15 degrees off the vertical and fading with altitude? Shrug.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."