Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Twin Elms Fan Art from Chris Bischoff

Chris Bischoff Twin Elms STASIS Project Eternity Fan Art Art Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Solviulnir the Soulbinder

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Also, chcek out the fanart that Chris did for Wasteland 2.
Dude's really got some skills.

• Lysen likes this

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1175 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Also, chcek out the fanart that Chris did for Wasteland 2.
Dude's really got some skills.

That's awesome, putting it in thread for lazy people.  Also, I'm very glad Stasis and Paradise Lost were backed.

Plane-1.jpg

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

And Stasis screens show splattered people, that's gore to me.

I take it you haven't read any information about the game. The Cayne Corporation was doing illegal human experiments or something and while that doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be zombies, I'd be very surprised if Chris uses anything of the sort in the game, coming from a movies (rather than games background).

It's not an RPG, it's an Adventure game so it will be more about solving puzzles to do with problems. There's a plethora of environment related problems to choose from as well as relationships between the other survivors - which was the main point of Alien, and Aliens - neither movie really had anything to do with the Aliens (especially Alien 1).
That's likely the kind of inspiration you'll find from Stasis.

But if you're exclusively a Space Opera/High Fantasy fan then there'll be no convincing you.

Edited by Sensuki, 03 December 2013 - 08:02 AM.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've been circling this for a while, and I hate to say that this completely unrelated piece of art pushed me over the edge. They just got funded too.

Pipyui

Pipyui

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I was kind of really hoping that obsidian would be able to add such dynamic lighting to eternity maps, where you would be able to have mornings or evenings looking like that, since i presume there will  be day/night cycle. But you can't do that with 2d images as far as i know.

What a shame.

I was just considering this.  Does anybody know if PE will include lighting effects like bloom/HDR or lightrays?  I don't think lightrays or other effects would be impossible as an overlay of the 2D environment, the real trick is just in getting it to look natural even as the camera pans.  If the rays come from above camera or from map boundaries, I think it could be managed; maybe have the lightray effect overlay pan a little slower than the environment for depth. :shrugz:

Edit: I know there'll be bloom - I just remembered from a spell effect screenshot - and I suppose that it should also apply onto the environment, but can anyone verify?

Edited by Pipyui, 03 December 2013 - 08:31 AM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5073 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I suspect that bloom probably isn't needed for the isometric perspective.

• Solviulnir the Soulbinder likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

I bloody hope not. I've never seen a situation where Bloom (or Depth of Field) makes a game look better. They're usually the go to effects to gloss over low res 3D textures, since Eternity is 2D it won't need either.

Edited by Sensuki, 03 December 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Mor

Mor

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to share a really awesome piece of fan art that we received this morning from Chris Bischoff. It's inspired from the Twin Elms concepts that we released in our last update.

If Chris' name sounds familiar it's because he has his own Kickstarter going for the game STASIS. If you haven't checked it out yet you should. What's not to like about a 2D, isometric, sci-fi, horror adventure game? It's in its last few days so lets help him push it over the edge and get it fully funded.

pe-chris-bischoff-twin-elms-fan-art-smal

Click for a larger image.

Nice concept,though not how I imagined it, there is nothing saying second large town about it. I thought 'Twin elms' would be like Kuldahar in IWD, centered around the tree\s and embedded into the surrounding only much larger.
  • SophosTheWise likes this

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

DoF in FoxEngine is pretty impressive. Although subtle it adds significant amount of realism to the visuals - it's based on a real world lens parameters like f-stop and focal lenght. And it's used sparingly. 

I agree about the bloom, though. It's both overused and overrated. It can be used effectively to add a dreamlike mood to the game/scene but nowadays it's there just to conceal texture or mesh resolution deficiencies.

DoF effect was used in Commandos on a couple of occasions for background separation (and this game's graphics are simply beautiful). 

Edited by Solviulnir the Soulbinder, 03 December 2013 - 10:49 AM.

Pipyui

Pipyui

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Eh, I agree that bloom is often overused, but I do think it adds to an image when used sparingly (for bright light sources and sharp reflections).  HDR is even better, though.  As rjshae says, it's mostly pointless for a 2D prerendered environment without an abstraction of sun movement (except to brighten/darken the image, as I remember this works).  If spell effects, torches and the like use bloom (as we've seen overemphasized in a screenshot p. 20), which is a postprocessing effect, the environment likely uses it too.

Anyway, I'm not particularly concerned about bloom - so long as it isn't anywhere near as overwhelming as that screeny; I'm more interested in the other lighting effects that can be painted in like lightrays.

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

That's just an overemphasized flare, on page 20.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5073 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Light rays can likely be simulated by graphical overlays with an alpha layer, depending on the time of day of course.

Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Grey Eminence of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Cool stuff. :)

Pipyui

Pipyui

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's just an overemphasized flare, on page 20.

Yes, but it's also almost certainly bloom (a whole lot of bloom).

Light rays can likely be simulated by graphical overlays with an alpha layer, depending on the time of day of course.

Thank you.  I don't want to play the bloom game anymore. :no:

But do you fear it might look odd with the panning camera if not coming from map boundaries?

AstroZombie

AstroZombie

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Obsidian's artists and graphcis people have their work cut out for them now, because that's how I expect this area to look in P:E :p

• Jarmo and tox1c5lug like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5073 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thank you.  I don't want to play the bloom game anymore. :no:

But do you fear it might look odd with the panning camera if not coming from map boundaries?

Panning camera? I thought it was a fixed perspective?

The light rays should follow the same projection as the shadows. So... maybe 10-15 degrees off the vertical and fading with altitude? Shrug.

Blank

Blank

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aercyon
  • Kickstarter Backer

Impressive.

StrangeCat

StrangeCat

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

that's what your finished look should look like for the game.

Chris Great Job!  Congrats on the 100 k for Stasis.  Mark Morgan congrats on doing the music I look forward to seeing the direction you take it.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5577 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Christopher Bischoff just returned the favour!

In his update 16 he does shout-out for Obsidian and Project Eternity, and he thanks them for getting him over his pledge goal! :)

• BAdler, Posbi and Solviulnir the Soulbinder like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chris Bischoff, Twin Elms, STASIS, Project Eternity, Fan Art, Art, Kickstarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users