Hey, everyone. I just wanted to share a really awesome piece of fan art that we received this morning from Chris Bischoff. It's inspired from the Twin Elms concepts that we released in our last update.

If Chris' name sounds familiar it's because he has his own Kickstarter going for the game STASIS. If you haven't checked it out yet you should. What's not to like about a 2D, isometric, sci-fi, horror adventure game? It's in its last few days so lets help him push it over the edge and get it fully funded.

pe-chris-bischoff-twin-elms-fan-art-smal

Click for a larger image.

• Like 22

Very nice. Music by Mark Morgan? Consider me intrigued :)

Some weird dollar amounts for the pledges. Is that a currency conversion thing from a different currency?

Not asking for outrageous money though, so I took the dive (Plunge? Whatever).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Amazing art!!!  hope see this place somewhere in game.

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

I didn't even like the Twin Elms concept that much, but a picture like this certainly wins me over. it's less Bergen and Skara Brae and Viking halls, and more arboreal culture fantasy. Wow, great work! :D

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

what a great move before his kickstarter ends!

• Like 3

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

Wow that art is very impressive. What is very interesting  is I see he is South African and lives in Johannesburg where I live :biggrin:

We don't have too many South African gaming companies or people that contribute towards the industry so I'll definitely help fund this game

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I was kind of really hoping that obsidian would be able to add such dynamic lighting to eternity maps, where you would be able to have mornings or evenings looking like that, since i presume there will  be day/night cycle. But you can't do that with 2d images as far as i know.

What a shame.

Sweet! The light rays don't line up with the shadows, but who's counting? :)

It's not actually apparent where the origin or the rays is.

With a little effort I can see them line up with shadows or even come from behind my left shoulder.

Anyway, Stasis still needs $400, so looking good, hope it goes well over.

I'm not backing myself because of the horror tag, I get my cup overflowing with zombies as is.

I'd love to see a sci-fi rpg with a more star-trek, buck rogers, space 1999 vibe and with minimum of the dark corridors with slime and gore.

I'm not backing myself because of the horror tag, I get my cup overflowing with zombies as is.

Are you kidding me?

You realize that Alien (1979) is considered a Horror/Sci-Fi, which is the game's primary influence. Horror is all about what is not shown. There is absolutely no correlation between zombies and horror.

Edited by Sensuki

Are you kidding me?

You realize that Alien (1979) is considered a Horror/Sci-Fi

Nope. While I can watch Alien movies I wouldn't play an alien game (and haven't),

too scary experience for me to enjoy.

And the correlation is there, though horror obviously doesn't equal zombies or gore.

Dead Space - zombies, Mass Effect - zombies, any damn sci-fi or rpg game ever made - zombies.

And Stasis screens show splattered people, that's gore to me.

Brightly lit rooms with green martians shooting bright lasers for me thank you.

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 1

And Stasis screens show splattered people, that's gore to me.

I take it you haven't read any information about the game. The Cayne Corporation was doing illegal human experiments or something and while that doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be zombies, I'd be very surprised if Chris uses anything of the sort in the game, coming from a movies (rather than games background).

It's not an RPG, it's an Adventure game so it will be more about solving puzzles to do with problems. There's a plethora of environment related problems to choose from as well as relationships between the other survivors - which was the main point of Alien, and Aliens - neither movie really had anything to do with the Aliens (especially Alien 1).

That's likely the kind of inspiration you'll find from Stasis.

But if you're exclusively a Space Opera/High Fantasy fan then there'll be no convincing you.

Edited by Sensuki

I was kind of really hoping that obsidian would be able to add such dynamic lighting to eternity maps, where you would be able to have mornings or evenings looking like that, since i presume there will  be day/night cycle. But you can't do that with 2d images as far as i know.

What a shame.

I was just considering this.  Does anybody know if PE will include lighting effects like bloom/HDR or lightrays?  I don't think lightrays or other effects would be impossible as an overlay of the 2D environment, the real trick is just in getting it to look natural even as the camera pans.  If the rays come from above camera or from map boundaries, I think it could be managed; maybe have the lightray effect overlay pan a little slower than the environment for depth. :shrugz:

Edit: I know there'll be bloom - I just remembered from a spell effect screenshot - and I suppose that it should also apply onto the environment, but can anyone verify?

Edited by Pipyui