Origin Sales

Serrano

I've had a lot more problems with Origin than with Steam. My Origin version of Dragon Age: Origins wouldn't download the DLC I had bought, and it flat out wouldn't download my games a couple times, where Steam the only issue I've had is Steamguard sometimes forgets my IP and I have to re-authenticate.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The day Origin starts respecting my locale settings instead of just showing the main page in French each and every time is when I'll consider it less than a totally broken piece of crap that can only be saved by a total rewrite (because if they can't even get something that basic right then I have very little hope for the rest of the design).

Oh, and while they're rewriting it they could decouple language from the rest of the locale settings, that'd be neat and save them this kind of embarassment (would also be rather a nice feature for people working/living abroad, I'm sure, as well as the people in this country speaking the 3rd official language, which Origin doesn't even allow them to pick)

EDIT: just checked, apparently they now offer the latter as an option, yay. Hopefully the French issue goes away when I pick UK English...

EDIT2: nope, still French, *lesigh*

Edited by marelooke

The day Origin starts respecting my locale settings instead of just showing the main page in French each and every time is when I'll consider it less than a totally broken piece of crap that can only be saved by a total rewrite (because if they can't even get something that basic right then I have very little hope for the rest of the design).

Oh, and while they're rewriting it they could decouple language from the rest of the locale settings, that'd be neat and save them this kind of embarassment (would also be rather a nice feature for people working/living abroad, I'm sure, as well as the people in this country speaking the 3rd official language, which Origin doesn't even allow them to pick)

EDIT: just checked, apparently they now offer the latter as an option, yay. Hopefully the French issue goes away when I pick UK English...

EDIT2: nope, still French, *lesigh*

Yes this is indeed annoying. Mine is automatically set in Spanish and there is nothing you can do to change it.

It's something that can be painted either way, I could reel off the same Steam 'features' and label them an intrusive attempt to gain control over every aspect of your gaming life. Because that's what Steam is designed to do. Make Steam the default for everything and everyone.

I have used Steam for awhile now and what can I say?  I appreciate the low prices and the convenience.  I have no problem also playing my games from Gog so I do not see its intrusiveness in my gaming.  Steam does not even start up on launch, I actually have to go start it up.  I like that I have never been anything but satisfied with Steam.  I know not everybody likes the auto patching but I really appreciate that as well.

They treat that option as more of a suggestion than a request though. :p

Look, you can use Steam in its minimal capacity as a download client for cheap games, ignoring all the frills. That's the good part of Steam. "Just ignore those extra frills if you don't like them then" is the usual follow-up argument, but it doesn't work that way: Steam's ubiquity unavoidably affects everyone, including people who don't have Steam. It is absolutely a bad thing if Steam becomes the de-facto One and True platform for PC gaming, but the 'features' they add, even the superficially innocuous ones, are most certainly being added with that end goal in mind.

By features I mean the achievements, the trading cards, the increasingly integrated screenshot system (to the exclusion of being able to do it manually), the voice chat integration (on by default). It's a conscious design to keep 'em on Steam, and keep 'em online. Even the seemingly rational "I don't care about trading cards, I sell them all, it's free money for playing my games" is problematic as it very much contributes towards this monopolistic behaviour.

You see people saying stuff like "I want it on Steam because it has achievements" or "I want to keep all my games together in the same place" - hell I've seen "I need to use Steam to keep in touch with my friends". It doesn't have to be sensible, and it doesn't have to even be a majority position. It's building momentum towards a critical mass, a Gabeutopia where Steam *is* PC gaming. And that's what I ultimately have a problem with.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G