Origin Sales

Serrano

Right now and until Feb 17th 6pm GMT you can get 50% off of all purchases by using the promo code "love". 

I don't suppose there's any way to use this on ME3 DLC, is there? 

Indirectly, you have to buy the bioware points from origin first using the love promo code, then use those to buy the ME3 dlc.  

Are you sure that works? It did not let me input any codes during the checkout—it seems buying fake internet currency is handled differently as purchasing actual games.

I was able to input the code, but it didn't do anything.  "Vitural currencies" are listed as excluded from the promotion. 

My mistake, sorry. 

Edited by Serrano

• 3 months later...

Battlefield 3 (and it's expansions apparently? This is an insanely good gift, BF3 is one of the best multiplayer games around) and Plants vs. Zombies are free giveaways on Origin until June 3rd. Both of them are excellent, you really should get in on this now. 

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

Battlefield 3 (and it's expansions apparently? This is an insanely good gift, BF3 is one of the best multiplayer games around) and Plants vs. Zombies are free giveaways on Origin until June 3rd. Both of them are excellent, you really should get in on this now.

That stinks, nay, reeks, of desperation. JUST SAYIN'

Because my old GTX 560 Ti came with BF3 and I went back to TF2 after about 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

That stinks, nay, reeks, of desperation. JUST SAYIN'

Oh please.

• 1 month later...

You can currently get the Sims 2 (Complete, or whatever the full edition is called) for free with the code I-LOVE-THE-SIMS For both the people who aren't already aware.

Not particularly keen on the sims personally, but you really cannot beat free. And apparently Peggle is still free as well.

• Like 3

Well that's debatable, Origin is more Spartan than Steam  and so if you just want a program to buy and play games and do a bit of chatting with then Origin is great. Steam offers more features though, is better for gamer groups and helps organise and announced play schedules, is better for inviting people into games, better at achievement tracking if that appeals ect. 

Steam has a much wider selection, more frequent and usually  better sales and sells actual, useful software and is dipping it's toe into videos also. Origin has EA exclusives that are not to be sniffed at and when they do throw a sale it's usually pretty good value. £22 for Titanfall so early and BF3 for free being recent examples. 

Steam do fun events and gimmicks, Origin not so much.

There are more examples but I'm too tired to list them. Origin certainly isn't bad though. It was a nightmare at BF3's launch but now it's very slick and stable so you shouldn't let the program put you off any more than Steam fight.

• Like 1

It's something that can be painted either way, I could reel off the same Steam 'features' and label them an intrusive attempt to gain control over every aspect of your gaming life. Because that's what Steam is designed to do. Make Steam the default for everything and everyone.

Now some people are perfectly fine with that, and that's there prerogative. But then people were fine with Microsoft's bundling tricks and other moves to ensure lock-in as well.

The series of Kickstarter game developers misreading their backers' stance on choice of distribution is an easy illustration of the position Steam has wrangled themselves into, the de-facto default. Broken Sword 5 is the latest case, there's a fight just erupted over the decision to only ship Steam copies of the physical boxed games, which to a large extent rather defeats the purpose of a physical copy. But they're far from the first, and won't be the last to make that same misjudgement. Shadowrun, Banner Saga, Tex Murphy, Divinity - all have had issues with their launches related to assuming a universal desire for Steam (yes there are nuances in each case relating to contracts or unexpected technical hurdles, but the big picture adds up). This is the damage caused by Steam's ubiquity.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's something that can be painted either way, I could reel off the same Steam 'features' and label them an intrusive attempt to gain control over every aspect of your gaming life. Because that's what Steam is designed to do. Make Steam the default for everything and everyone.

Now some people are perfectly fine with that, and that's there prerogative. But then people were fine with Microsoft's bundling tricks and other moves to ensure lock-in as well.

The series of Kickstarter game developers misreading their backers' stance on choice of distribution is an easy illustration of the position Steam has wrangled themselves into, the de-facto default. Broken Sword 5 is the latest case, there's a fight just erupted over the decision to only ship Steam copies of the physical boxed games, which to a large extent rather defeats the purpose of a physical copy. But they're far from the first, and won't be the last to make that same misjudgement. Shadowrun, Banner Saga, Tex Murphy, Divinity - all have had issues with their launches related to assuming a universal desire for Steam (yes there are nuances in each case relating to contracts or unexpected technical hurdles, but the big picture adds up). This is the damage caused by Steam's ubiquity.

Steam's only flaw, in my experience, is the lack of returns/refunds. I seriously haven't had technical or moral issues with it in at least 4 years. If Origin were up to the task of competing that would be great, but EA isn't, because it's EA. Valve isn't dominant because it's the only game in town, it's dominant because they're the best by any stretch. GOG is fine for a bunch of polacks in someone's basement, and all, but it's still just a bunch of polacks selling old games from someone's basement.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

Origin isn't up to the task because EA is EA is not much of an argument. Honestly I dont really think Origin is better, I just think refusing one over the other is ridiculous. They are peas of the same pod.

• Like 3

I seriously haven't had technical or moral issues with it in at least 4 years

I had plenty. YMMV

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Guest Slinky

Black Ops 2 on steam is still at full price and it came out november 2012. Titanfall was released four months ago.

As someone who only wants to download and play games all the services are pretty much the same. Everything else is just bloat to me as I don't see the appeal of achievements and I mostly play games solo.I've had more issues with Steam than with Uplay or Origin but you can probably chalk part of that up being a result of being forced to play more games on it. Which is my biggest gripe about the whole thing,non-Valve Steam exclusives.

Free games updated 3/4/21