Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #68: ART!

Art Environment Art Concept Art Character Art Twin Elms Od Nua

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think it's great that the trolls have gone for Crye precision MultiCam.

The old troll camouflage pattern sucked.

Pipyui

Pipyui

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm so sorry, but this grabbed my attention.

• sesobebo and Jajo like this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

And one more thing, by "after holiday brake" you mean Thanksgiving, not Christmas? It's a bit confusing for me, as an european, to hear about holiday brake in late november.

They have a holiday in November to celebrate the English not starving to death when they decided to colonize America. Luckily, the locals shared a turkey with them or something. Anyhow, it's a big deal for 'Muricans.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5586 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Great art update, but of course a downer if you, like me, anticipated so much more. But waiting is a virtue, I suppose.

Personally, I really like that Obsidian are making characters, NPCs and monsters that don't pop too much vis-à-vis the background. Far too many games are doing that, and it always ends up looking a bit cartoonish and meta-fantasy too me (fantasy on top of fantasy). I like what Company of Heroes 2 and Path of Exile are doing with their animated models, which are just as small as PE's will be.

Obviously, the dragon skellie and all this nature needs quite a bit of a 2D-brushup to become mossy and worn and beleaguered with all sorts of creepies and crawlies, just like the bridge by the waterfall. I really hope that the environment's will keep that ominous and foreboding quality that the waterfall scene carries. Several other screenies have indeed been a bit too much Google Maps or at least Sancho Pancha, Don Quixote-movie, kind of scenes. Too sunny and sightseeing-y to me.

Twin Elms falls a bit flat to me. That Viking theme doesn't really do it for me (and again? After half the CRPG-fans has OD:ed on Skyrim?). Glanfathian just took an arrow in the knee, and I wont remove it! I will make them my mortal enemy in-game! ;)

As for the trolls. They are far too short and slender, I reckon. They are almost what I imagined old Amauan people would look like. Whence I come, this is a troll:

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Okay update, but I really wished the screenshots you chose were a little less on the boring side. I get that this update was largely unplanned, but showing off first pass areas that look largely like what we've already seen seems a bit sloppy, especially when J.E. Sawyer's GDC slides had far more interesting screenshots.

I like the concept for the other big city though. Do we have a name?

• Solviulnir the Soulbinder likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Twin Peaks Elms

• curryinahurry and exodiark like this

Prometheus

Prometheus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like the screenshots and the concept art.

I'm not sure that I like Twin Elms as second city, on the map it has the symbol for a small town. I hope Twin Elms is as big as Defiance Bay.

cyberarmy

cyberarmy

Mass Destruction Weapon of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I need a bigger update :/ This kind of smaller ones  can't satisfy mah hunger T_T

edit: this kinda sounded very wrong.lol

Edited by cyberarmy, 26 November 2013 - 11:38 PM.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I guess the big update is gonna be a christmas present after all :p

Great art over there btw

The screens look a bit boring to me but, conisidering the artwork, I believe we'll be having some great places to visit :)

Keep it up!

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

a troll image in the update... i see what you did there

• Wyrm, Doppelschwert and Lephys like this

Mor

Mor

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts

I'm curious about the architecture of the next big city, will there be tall buildings? is everything going to be camouflaged in nature?
Should I think of "Machu Picchu" or is it more like a viking homestead?

Really digging the Engwithan prop, If I could have armour or shields looking like there were made from that material, I think it would be really cool looking.

There will definitely be some larger structures. You are just seeing a small portion of one area.

It isn't really Machu Picchu or Viking... it is closer to Machu Picchu with Viking layered on top.

Something like Kuldahar in IWD?

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sensuki, you are famous.

Twin Elms, eh? I was putting my money on New Heomar :)

Release date, y u no come faster?

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I was wondering, those trolls look properly camouflaged with their green/bark like skin, will they be stuck on trees and suddenly jump at out you? that would be a nice variation on traps.

And the dragon bones seem still connected to each other by some magical force would a lack of connective tissue scatter them about?

I'd love to see more variation in greenery.

lastly, maybe you could tell us something about the screenshots/concept art. Right now they're rather contextless, I get that this update was quickly made because the big one isn't quite done yet, but some narrative accompanying the images would go a long way. Tell us about the god of the hunt! or maybe about the dragon skeleton, how did it get to be there. Tell us, even a little about Twin Elms, or the Engwithan material.
Nothing too spoilerish, but some context would be nice
  • karelia likes this

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would like to know the names of the areas that Twin Elms is split into; does it have a religious district? a market square?

Seems like the perfect home city for druids and other nature loving folks and you just know there's some ancient city buried beneath waiting to be explored.

BTW I agree with folks who think the forest screenies look like a park; certainly lacking a scattering of leaves or signs of any undergrowth. However, these images have yet to receive a paintover so I expect that will come.

I think the drake skeleton should be scattered a bit. Consider the wings - the bones would be hollow like bird wings and would not stay as they were in life because they are so light as to allow the drake to fly.

Edited by Tuckey, 27 November 2013 - 02:11 AM.

Jajo

Jajo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really like the concept art for the second big city.

Seeing that, however, mad me question how big this city is actually going to be. Its buildings aren't really designed as something that can be crammed together to minimize the distance/travel time between various places, as is the norm in the big cities.

So, on a scale from Beregost to Athkatla, how big is the second city going to be?

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wow, I love the city concepts Polina! I'm glad the second big city is looking more non-traditional.

i second this, the second city is looking very nice so far

Suen

Suen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The trolls are also really difficult to discern. Maybe it's just the way the screenshot came out, but they look like murky, shapeless masses. I thought the models from the GDC slides also appeared too drab and easy for the eye to slide off of, although not quite to this extent. It feels a bit patronizing to say this to experienced developers, but maybe incorporate more of Valve's advice for DOTA 2 character design in your creatures and NPCs and see if you can make them pop more without going too cartoonish: http://media.steampo...terArtGuide.pdf

I guess they will use something like that to improve the sense of prospective. But they are still in prealpha, so the special effects will come later?

yLEdOfvl.jpg

On the right side, a quick and dirty photoshop simulation of the gradient effect (35% opacity).
Slightly different saturation. Increased, because the gradient made the trolls too grey.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

It was a bit misleading because on both world maps, Twin Elms was not using a 'city' icon.

I imagine that it's a bit smaller than Defiance Bay population and perhaps breadth wise, but a Suldanesselar or Lothlorien style city with multiple maps is a very appealing idea.

The location of both cities on the map does also add to the 'Fallout-y-ness' style that Obsidian was looking for regarding progression through the game.

With the Dyrford encompassing the lower level content and the Stronghold being 'granted' before the end of the first chapter I wonder whether the player will be able to go to Twin Elms before Defiance Bay, as it is located pretty much between both of them.

Gilded Vale kinda seems like the 'Trademeet' of Eternity.

Vortis

Vortis

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Hi,

Areas are very nicely detailed, just one thing for me they look a bit to 'plastic' but it's my taste. About the concept art i would say that the guy is very lucky with his drawings, they mix common sense with fantasy the right way. And for the trolls or other beast they can 'mingle?' with the countryside, lots of animals/beast have the power to do so and this can add a 'plus' in the game.

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The location of both cities on the map

We know the world map. Do we know anything about how far will the gameplay go? Are those far-away places for future expansion purposes?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Environment Art, Concept Art, Character Art, Twin Elms, Od Nua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users