Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #68: ART!

Art Environment Art Concept Art Character Art Twin Elms Od Nua

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

Jumble Murdersense

Jumble Murdersense

Apprentice Candle Dribbler of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Steam:bek_ohmsford
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Always keen for more art updates.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Was that shot of the trolls taken recently?

There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between the way shadows are cast in that picture and in the recent shots of character models in Josh Sawyers GDC Presentation.

Here are the trolls

fQZNrls.png

Here is the GDC Slide

10535.png

In the GDC Slide, the character models appear to have way more grounded shadows than the Trolls, more akin to the IE games Blob shadows (which I liked). There was some response to fan feedback after the Update 61 screenshot resulting in tweaking to the way shadows are displayed (apparently).

Yet the shadows on the troll models appear to be drawn via the older method from the Update 49 Video / Update 61 screenshot.

• Merlkir, Malekith and karelia like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

^ It looks to me like the main problem with the shadows, in that particular screenshot, is simply that they don't appear to affect the trolls' feet, thus, the feet appear to be above (in front of) the shadows, even when one troll is casting a shadow onto another troll.

Other than that, they're not bad, really. Although, I'm sure this isn't meant to be a "this is exactly how everything'll look finalized" shot, and I join in Sensuki's curiosity, now that he's asked that specific question.

igorina

igorina

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

Areas look a bit too photorealistic to me. Like google map. I like the concept art much more. I hope that final version will be more vivid :)

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This game cannot come soon enough.  :dancing:

• ShadySands likes this

Zeckul

Zeckul

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 283 posts

Loving every single pixel of these screenshots. This looks sharp and gorgeous at native 1080p. Apart from some missing detail that others have mentioned already, everything looks quite realistic and believable, for a fantasy world, much like Baldur's Gate. The more I see of this game the more I think this will be a worthy successor to Baldur's Gate - that's the highest praise I could give any game.

Something needs to be done about the lighting so the monsters stand out a little more against the background - perhaps this is just due to the paintover job not being done, but perhaps some subtle rim shading or something could help bring the models out from the background. At the same time, a common complaint of hybrid 2d/3d games is that models stand out too much from the background; it'll be a difficult thing to balance I'm sure.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Going way back to Production 01 (Update 62) it was stated that creatures are taken to a blockout stage and then they move onto another one in order to get more creatures into the game earlier.

Wouldn't worry too much about the look of the Troll it will probably receive a polish pass from Dimitri/James during post-production, along with some animation work - I do agree though that stances & stuff need variation.

Remember that the usual length of post-production is 6 months - so that's 6 months+ worth of touching up models and stuff.

That said, I'll be very happy when I see a new tree model (not couting the burnt one).

Edited by Sensuki, 26 November 2013 - 07:10 PM.

Tauron

Tauron

Master Elementalist of Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It is great, I just dont like trolls.  Dont get me wrong, those creatures look great designed, just not very much trollish to me. For that matter I didnt like Fearun Trolls either. Most games ruined them. I am more of traditionalist whn it comes to troll appereances. Like scandinavian folktales. I dont kow why designers are trying reinventing the wheel. Anyway. Areas are shaping out great,

• Chilloutman likes this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts

I'm sorry, but those monsters - while looking fearsome - don't honour the name troll - be it  the monster or internet versions. I find their trolldom lacking.

:lol:

*mumbles something about expert opinion*

Maybe the missing red circles around them makes them seem to blend in with the background. The characters in the other screenshot has their blue circles, making them stand out from the background at a quick glance.
  • Volourn and Karkarov like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh yeah that Drake should only have two legs, four legged Dragon creatures wouldn't be able to fly, it would be physically impossible IIRC.

edit: oh that's right in D&D two legged Dragons are Wyverns.

Edited by Sensuki, 26 November 2013 - 08:12 PM.

agris

agris

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What are the criteria that determines if an area is appropriate to outsource, versus creating in-house? Does OE have to provide the props for the outsourced area, or are the props generated by the contractor also, and available for use in other (non-outsourced) maps?

Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Steam:Arsene-Lupin
  • PSN Portable ID:Mwulf
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Honestly, I really hate seeing these updates. Each time I see an area design, it's just too much. This looks EXACTLY like my "ideal game." You know, that one game I've always wanted. It just shoots my expectations through the roof.

Anyway, think we'll ever get an update re: side quest design? I'm curious whether or not the sidequests will be inconsequentially small (like fetch and collection quests) or bigger, in-depth fare like what we saw in Shadows of Amn.

• Helz likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

*about shadows*

Is there a sun* in Eternity? That could explain the shadows.

* Dynamic global light-source~ day/night cycles etc. etc.

• Posbi and Solviulnir the Soulbinder like this

phesant33

phesant33

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

Great art and work as usual, thanks for the update :)

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What are the criteria that determines if an area is appropriate to outsource, versus creating in-house?

So far we know that (most) Wilderness areas are being handled by outsourcing. Hector did the Vertical Slice ones AFAIK.

At 3 weeks per wilderness area that is two wilderness areas per production milestone. However they also may do propping and unique asset creation for existing areas.

Bli1942

Bli1942

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts

These buildings with grass over them look awesome. I am sick of typical stone buildings or wooden lodges, everywhere in most fantasy games looks the same

Bland_Boy

Bland_Boy

Poet of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is there a thread with links to all released hi-res screenshots?

I'm only looking from my phone, but these don't seem like hi res screens.

Nanakamado

Nanakamado

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well great  artworks except trolls.. As some people already said, they look not enough trolish to me... But they are d&d like, so I'm ok with them...

And I'm a bit disappointed with delay of Backer Portal.

And one more thing, by "after holiday brake" you mean Thanksgiving, not Christmass? It's a bit confusing for me, as an european, to hear about holiday brake in late november.

Edited by Nanakamado, 26 November 2013 - 10:03 PM.

• Justinian and karelia like this

Xienzi

Xienzi

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Those drake bones seem quite devoid of any growth...

Skie Nightfall

Skie Nightfall

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Really like the art! Missed this style.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Environment Art, Concept Art, Character Art, Twin Elms, Od Nua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users