What are the criteria that determines if an area is appropriate to outsource, versus creating in-house? Does OE have to provide the props for the outsourced area, or are the props generated by the contractor also, and available for use in other (non-outsourced) maps?

Honestly, I really hate seeing these updates. Each time I see an area design, it's just too much. This looks EXACTLY like my "ideal game." You know, that one game I've always wanted. It just shoots my expectations through the roof.

Anyway, think we'll ever get an update re: side quest design? I'm curious whether or not the sidequests will be inconsequentially small (like fetch and collection quests) or bigger, in-depth fare like what we saw in Shadows of Amn.

• Like 1

What are the criteria that determines if an area is appropriate to outsource, versus creating in-house?

So far we know that (most) Wilderness areas are being handled by outsourcing. Hector did the Vertical Slice ones AFAIK.

At 3 weeks per wilderness area that is two wilderness areas per production milestone. However they also may do propping and unique asset creation for existing areas.

Well great  artworks except trolls.. As some people already said, they look not enough trolish to me... But they are d&d like, so I'm ok with them...

And I'm a bit disappointed with delay of Backer Portal.

And one more thing, by "after holiday brake" you mean Thanksgiving, not Christmass? It's a bit confusing for me, as an european, to hear about holiday brake in late november.

Edited by Nanakamado
  • Like 2

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

And one more thing, by "after holiday brake" you mean Thanksgiving, not Christmas? It's a bit confusing for me, as an european, to hear about holiday brake in late november.

They have a holiday in November to celebrate the English not starving to death when they decided to colonize America. Luckily, the locals shared a turkey with them or something. Anyhow, it's a big deal for 'Muricans.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Great art update, but of course a downer if you, like me, anticipated so much more. But waiting is a virtue, I suppose.

Personally, I really like that Obsidian are making characters, NPCs and monsters that don't pop too much vis-à-vis the background. Far too many games are doing that, and it always ends up looking a bit cartoonish and meta-fantasy too me (fantasy on top of fantasy). I like what Company of Heroes 2 and Path of Exile are doing with their animated models, which are just as small as PE's will be.

Obviously, the dragon skellie and all this nature needs quite a bit of a 2D-brushup to become mossy and worn and beleaguered with all sorts of creepies and crawlies, just like the bridge by the waterfall. I really hope that the environment's will keep that ominous and foreboding quality that the waterfall scene carries. Several other screenies have indeed been a bit too much Google Maps or at least Sancho Pancha, Don Quixote-movie, kind of scenes. Too sunny and sightseeing-y to me.

Twin Elms falls a bit flat to me. That Viking theme doesn't really do it for me (and again? After half the CRPG-fans has OD:ed on Skyrim?). Glanfathian just took an arrow in the knee, and I wont remove it! I will make them my mortal enemy in-game! ;)

As for the trolls. They are far too short and slender, I reckon. They are almost what I imagined old Amauan people would look like. Whence I come, this is a troll:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Okay update, but I really wished the screenshots you chose were a little less on the boring side. I get that this update was largely unplanned, but showing off first pass areas that look largely like what we've already seen seems a bit sloppy, especially when J.E. Sawyer's GDC slides had far more interesting screenshots.

I like the concept for the other big city though. Do we have a name?

• Like 1

a troll image in the update... i see what you did there

• Like 3

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm curious about the architecture of the next big city, will there be tall buildings? is everything going to be camouflaged in nature?

Should I think of "Machu Picchu" or is it more like a viking homestead?

Really digging the Engwithan prop, If I could have armour or shields looking like there were made from that material, I think it would be really cool looking.

There will definitely be some larger structures. You are just seeing a small portion of one area.

It isn't really Machu Picchu or Viking... it is closer to Machu Picchu with Viking layered on top.

Something like Kuldahar in IWD?

I was wondering, those trolls look properly camouflaged with their green/bark like skin, will they be stuck on trees and suddenly jump at out you? that would be a nice variation on traps.

And the dragon bones seem still connected to each other by some magical force would a lack of connective tissue scatter them about?

I'd love to see more variation in greenery.

lastly, maybe you could tell us something about the screenshots/concept art. Right now they're rather contextless, I get that this update was quickly made because the big one isn't quite done yet, but some narrative accompanying the images would go a long way. Tell us about the god of the hunt! or maybe about the dragon skeleton, how did it get to be there. Tell us, even a little about Twin Elms, or the Engwithan material.

Nothing too spoilerish, but some context would be nice

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I would like to know the names of the areas that Twin Elms is split into; does it have a religious district? a market square?

Seems like the perfect home city for druids and other nature loving folks and you just know there's some ancient city buried beneath waiting to be explored.

BTW I agree with folks who think the forest screenies look like a park; certainly lacking a scattering of leaves or signs of any undergrowth. However, these images have yet to receive a paintover so I expect that will come.

I think the drake skeleton should be scattered a bit. Consider the wings - the bones would be hollow like bird wings and would not stay as they were in life because they are so light as to allow the drake to fly.

Edited by Tuckey

I really like the concept art for the second big city.

Seeing that, however, mad me question how big this city is actually going to be. Its buildings aren't really designed as something that can be crammed together to minimize the distance/travel time between various places, as is the norm in the big cities.

So, on a scale from Beregost to Athkatla, how big is the second city going to be?