Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #68: ART!

Art Environment Art Concept Art Character Art Twin Elms Od Nua

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

coffeetable

coffeetable

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

While these updates are great, I was also expecting something a bit bigger from the 'Big Update'. 

Avellone mentioned a while back that the 'big update' will be coming with a gameplay video. As the portal's been put off a week, the video has been too, likely because the video will pull a lot of traffic in and it'd make sense to have some of that traffic convert to purchases.

• Bloody Hypocrite likes this

coffeetable

coffeetable

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Edit: Ok, no art pass yet, so maybe these are non-issues. Would it be possible to have a picture of some small area fully and completely done though? It's really starting to gnaw at me. The waterfall screenshot is old and has been changed quite a bit (for the negative if I remember right), so it'd be really nice to have some ballpark for our expectations

The stronghold scenes from an update or two back?

e: To address your complaints about how the models seem dropped onto the terrain, you can see in this how the models get blended into eachother at the paintover:

c9644947e88db3c54b88ac82d28eb353_large.j

Edited by coffeetable, 26 November 2013 - 04:06 PM.

• Posbi and Lephys like this

Cubiq

Cubiq

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm actually really impressed with the concepts forest shrine. It may looks simple but i really get the feel that it doesn't look forced at all and feels really natural.

BAdler

BAdler

Game Director

• Developers+
  • -9926 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

I'm sorry, but while the concept art looks lovely, the areas do not. The props (bones, camp, altar) look like they were placed on the grass mere minutes before and some of the foliage looks weird: the path is used enough that the grass doesn't grow on it, yet there's bushes on it, right over the wheel impressions. The campsite has a bush sticking out the middle, I wouldn't start a fire there. In the 2nd picture there's 3 of the exact same trees right next to each other in the lower left. Call me picky, but, look at the areas I get the "something's wrong, but not sure what" feel.

Edit: Ok, no art pass yet, so maybe these are non-issues. Would it be possible to have a picture of some small area fully and completely done though? It's really starting to gnaw at me. The waterfall screenshot is old and has been changed quite a bit (for the negative if I remember right), so it'd be really nice to have some ballpark for our expectations. Dunno about other people, but the paintover is the main appeal of having 2d for me.

There is still plenty of work that needs to go into these areas. Keep in mind that you are seeing areas that are currently being worked on in this milestone so you will probably see a few oddball things from time to time.

• IRMA likes this

SunBroSolaire

SunBroSolaire

Custodian of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wow, I love the city concepts Polina! I'm glad the second big city is looking more non-traditional.

• Azrayel and Malekith like this

Gumbercules

Gumbercules

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 234 posts

The concept art looks terrific! Once again, you're taking a well-worn concept (the hippie tree city) and updating it to feel fresher (vikings + weird mysterious black structures).

I have some criticisms of the in-game stuff, however. The drake skeleton looks way too fresh and intact, as if it were a prop that was dropped in at the last minute. It's likely that this is just because it hasn't received the 2D paintover yet, but it needs to feel like it was there for a while as part of the landscape.

The trolls are also really difficult to discern. Maybe it's just the way the screenshot came out, but they look like murky, shapeless masses. I thought the models from the GDC slides also appeared too drab and easy for the eye to slide off of, although not quite to this extent. It feels a bit patronizing to say this to experienced developers, but maybe incorporate more of Valve's advice for DOTA 2 character design in your creatures and NPCs and see if you can make them pop more without going too cartoonish: http://media.steampo...terArtGuide.pdf

Will the big update and backer site be up next week, or do we have to wait 2+ weeks?

• Suen likes this

Bloody Hypocrite

Bloody Hypocrite

Blasphemer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer

While these updates are great, I was also expecting something a bit bigger from the 'Big Update'. 

Avellone mentioned a while back that the 'big update' will be coming with a gameplay video. As the portal's been put off a week, the video has been too, likely because the video will pull a lot of traffic in and it'd make sense to have some of that traffic convert to purchases.

Thanks Coffeetable. I completely missed that.  Again, I love what I'm seeing, I just want more!

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Eh this was a nice update and all but the fact that the portal still isn't out is beginning to be become a little glaring.  Obsidian knows that if the portal isn't released in the next 2-3 weeks at this point it isn't getting released in 2013 because the same "holidays" reasoning is going to be applied again only this time it will put them out of action for the better part of two weeks instead of 3-4 days.

That out of the way... I hope the zoomed out area views were still in progress.  The closer view with the trolls looked really nice but the distant maps just seemed sort of lifeless.  There wasn't enough shading on the trees or grass and the scene just didn't seem "alive".

• Monte Carlo and JFSOCC like this

Rivfader

Rivfader

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I love big tall trees, I hope we get to have some in this game, travelling into a thousand year old forest would be amazing :)

• JFSOCC likes this

Agremont

Agremont

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not the big update I was hoping for but I love art so it's cool. Also, I'm glad you're taking your time making sure stuff gets done right. :)

Rostere

Rostere

Illuminatus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like the look of the trolls. Looks like proper trolls to me, maybe they could be just a wee bit bigger though?

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm sorry, but while the concept art looks lovely, the areas do not. The props (bones, camp, altar) look like they were placed on the grass mere minutes before and some of the foliage looks weird: the path is used enough that the grass doesn't grow on it, yet there's bushes on it, right over the wheel impressions. The campsite has a bush sticking out the middle, I wouldn't start a fire there. In the 2nd picture there's 3 of the exact same trees right next to each other in the lower left. Call me picky, but, look at the areas I get the "something's wrong, but not sure what" feel.

Those aren't "bushes" (except maybe at the campsite... maybe)... They're weeds. Poofy weeds. Notice how they don't actually grow out of the dirt/wheel-rut areas of the road/path, but instead from the little spots in between. Weeds/plants like that can shoot up to that height/size in a matter of about a week. Also notice how that path (in the first shot) kind of just ends, as though it was ONCE traveled heavily enough to have made a good dirt road there, but has now been mostly neglected for some time. Unless wagons were rolling over those plants every hour or something, they're going to just keep growing and spreading out atop the dirt road.

There are bushy plants like that that grow in the flowerbeds right outside my apartment, and they extend across half-or-more of the sidewalk running in front of them, even though they aren't growing out of the sidewalk. And, having grown up in the Boy Scouts, I can say I've been to many a campsite where weeds and plants have grown up INSIDE the circle-of-stones built around campfire sites to prevent the spread of fire. There's often a good foot-or-so of space between the stones and the actual burny stuff (when a fire IS going), so that stuff starts growing there very shortly after the campfire is dormant. Maybe you wouldn't want to start a fire there... until you very quickly-and-easily pull up or cut that little plant out of the way. But, nature is nature, man. What can I say... :)

Between that and the whole "that probably still needs to be finalized by the paintover stage," I don't see anything really being a silly design choice.

Oh, and, sorry, but I'm required to make this joke:

Major update? This was more like a Private First Class update! 8)

I jest, of course. "Awwww" to the delay of the more major stuff, but, understandable. Thanks for the awesome artwork show, and I hope you all (the team) have a splendid Thanksgiving! ^_^

Edited by Lephys, 26 November 2013 - 04:48 PM.

• karelia likes this

Solviulnir the Soulbinder

Solviulnir the Soulbinder

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Didn't expect this one :D

Concepts done by mrs Polina are excellent. I like how she blends different architectural styles together, the Twin Elms linework is beautiful.
One minor detail - you could add a bit more more colour variation in the grassy areas, maybe some decaying fallen trees, moss and flowers. Yeah, I know it's prealpha hehe.
Also: burnt bark

Squib

Squib

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not a big update, but its amazing work like this that keeps me coming back. Nearly everything in this project gives me the jitters - not just because I am a big fan of baldur's gate series and IWD. Really looking forward to another video, demo, etc! 

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Trees are beautiful. Also I like the trolls, pretty unique. They need some lively animations to make them come alive though, because their hands are so small.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

How are the trolls unique? They look like a typical monster humanoid. And, I definitely don't get a 'troll' vibe from them. heh.

Edited by Volourn, 26 November 2013 - 05:31 PM.

Zed

Zed

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:no
  • Xbox Gamertag:lol, no
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Twin Elms look good. It will be very interesting to see how the society rolls there. I mean, it doesn't look very metropolitan, but will it function like one?

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

The woods are many years after their burning by the drakes. Burnt wood would have disappeared log ago. Your thoughts however inspired my own recollections of the petrified forest and the painted desert in Arizona and I'm sure the fine folks at obsidian might draw some inspiration from those locations.

DCParry

DCParry

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm curious about the architecture of the next big city, will there be tall buildings? is everything going to be camouflaged in nature?
Should I think of "Machu Picchu" or is it more like a viking homestead?

Really digging the Engwithan prop, If I could have armour or shields looking like there were made from that material, I think it would be really cool looking.

There will definitely be some larger structures. You are just seeing a small portion of one area.

It isn't really Machu Picchu or Viking... it is closer to Machu Picchu with Viking layered on top.

Why do I now want Viking Hang-glider guards to protect the village from all enemies?

• Lephys likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Why do I now want Viking Hang-glider guards to protect the village from all enemies?

They could call those guards "valkyries." 8)

The woods are many years after their burning by the drakes. Burnt wood would have disappeared log ago.

Yeah, I think the little "drakes burned this place" lore lesson was to explain the sparseness/shortness of all the flora in that area, to avoid any "Hey, that's not an accurate representation of a wilderness! Stuff would be grown up WAY farther than that!"

Edited by Lephys, 26 November 2013 - 06:15 PM.

• JFSOCC likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Environment Art, Concept Art, Character Art, Twin Elms, Od Nua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users