Good Old Games

Gorth

Hopefully at least the publishers who do "DRM-free" Steam games hop on board to make those games actually DRM-free. But it's not going to convince any publisher to drop their DRM policy, so it's hardly industry-changing. 

I suppose it's possible that the biggest publishers who are understandably uncomfortable with Steam's hegemony might indirectly or surreptitiously support them with a view that "an enemy of my enemy is my friend". Would a company like EA view Galaxy as something that hurts them by taking away from Origin, or as something that helps them by taking away from Steam?

From the customer perspective, it won't stop the irrational argument of people who "want all my games in the game place", but it should help a little against arguments like ease of patching, setting up multiplayer, and, ugh, achievements.

• Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

the best Panzer/Tank Games iv Ever played was the 1999 Panzer General 3D, 1999 Panzer Elite, 1999 Panzer Front, 1999 was a Golden Age For Panzer Tank games, and I have never played any panzer or Tank Games befor or after 1999 that I loved like the 3 best PZ games of all time, but im Hoping that Obsidian E can Add its Armored Warfare Game to my List of best tank Games Ever

Zombies go for me 1st 100% of the time X_X

I never say to put panzer in to the 2015 Armored Warfare game, all I say is that I hope AW will be the best tank game we have seen in 15 Years.

I did not like Thoes other Tank Games and all the panzer and tank games after 2000 just don't have the same Class that thay had in 1999.

and games like Panzer General ect back in 99 is what got me in to WW2 tanks in the 1st place, tell 2010 when I started to do heavy resers in to Russian tanks from 1971-2010 like Obj-450, 187, 640, 195 ect.

and Armored Warfare will get the T-14 as a Tier 9-10 so I hope that stuff like Obj-450, 187, 640, 195 make it in as prems as I spent the last 5 years tracking info of em in Russia.

I hope one day thay make a Panzer Elite 2 or Panzer Front 2

Zombies go for me 1st 100% of the time X_X

I'd hope that Galaxy can break up some of Steam's monopoly but I guess publishers would have to stop making most games Steam exclusives. But considering that Galaxy is supposed to still be DRM free I'm not sure that will be the case. Hope I'm wrong though

Theoretically at least the MP component on Galaxy will allow direct compatibility with steamworks multiplayer; but will also very likely require keys andor the client to be running. Which wouldn't be a change of policy from GOG per se since some of their titles already have keys associated with them and running the client would not be compulsory unless in supported MP modes, but it is a way to get much of the ease of use/ cost reduction (to publisher) stuff from steam hosting MP and the like plus also allow for a certain amount of drm on what publishers will see as the most important aspects of the game.

It'll be a bit of a jolt to some but it's the best way available to soothe publishers while also being able to say that they're still drm free so far as SP goes. It's also primarily speculation, but I'd put money on it being pretty accurate speculation.

From the customer perspective, it won't stop the irrational argument of people who "want all my games in the game place", but it should help a little against arguments like ease of patching, setting up multiplayer, and, ugh, achievements.

It's not irrational! I, too, "want all my games in one place."  I just want that place to be GOG. :)

• Like 1

OMG Star Trek games on GOG as digital premiere!!!

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Most of the Star Trek games I've played (mostly in the 1980s) were terrible (IMO).  Are the ones on GOG any good?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Cool, I have my Beta now.  It looks nice but it's a bit...empty? There are a lot of grayed-out buttons that seem to say "coming soon!" And some features, like activity tracking, seem totally broken. It was able to automatically detect my previous non-Galaxy downloads, though, which was unexpected and awesome.

Most of the Star Trek games I've played (mostly in the 1980s) were terrible (IMO).  Are the ones on GOG any good?

I'm curious about that too.  I might take a chance on 25th Anniversary and LP it, for better or worse.  I'm down for a point & click.  

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm curious about that too.  I might take a chance on 25th Anniversary and LP it, for better or worse.  I'm down for a point & click.  

I loved 25th Anniversary when I was a kid. I'm a little scared to pick it up now and ruin those fond memories

Free games updated 3/4/21

There are a few decent ones, among them A Final Unity, a TNG based point & click adventure that even reviewed well. I still have it lying around here somewhere.

Of course it's not yet available at GOG. Out of those I really only played Starfleet Acadamy and that one was a bit of a letdown. It's just when it came out it tried to follow the Wing Commander approach to space sims - FMVs combined with space missions packaged and wrapped in a Star Trek: TOS skin, but doing neither as well as WC. It just never lived up to the hype. Interplay hyped Starfleet Academy for three years. It was essentially bound to disappoint.

Fun fact, a certain Chris Avellone is credited with "Additional mission design" in Star Fleet: Academy. Heh. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The only ST game I played was the first (?) quasi roguelike one and Elite Force (which was rather good), neither of which are on GOG. The Iply Star Trek games do seem to be remembered pretty fondly though, as opposed to some of the later ones and the utterly terrible nuTrek movie cash in games.

I don't know about the GOG ones, but I sank a lot of hours into Starfleet Command (especially II). Very little storytelling but solid real-time tactical gameplay which the games were built around. Great dynamic music system too. SFC3 was pretty meh. Those are IPLY games so I'm hoping they'll turn up soon on GOG. IIRC getting them to run on modern systems was a bit of a pain so I'll be picking up the bundle when they do.

Man, time really ****ing flies. /was just waxing goddamn nostalgic

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Screw it, imma get 25th Anniversary and LP it.  If it's any good, I'll get Judgement Rites too, since it's a direct sequel.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

best star trek game is Bridge Commander

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Judgement Rites is excellent. It is a really well done adventure game, in the Star Trek setting. It is much more enjoyable than the 25th Anniversary star trek adventure game (which I did not like).

For those wondering about the game, I started my LP of 25th Anniversary, so you can see what the game is like for yourself here.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I see you have LP of Pier Solar, how did you liked the game? I am considering for pretty long time to buy this on GoG.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I see you have LP of Pier Solar, how did you liked the game? I am considering for pretty long time to buy this on GoG.

Well, I haven't finished the LP, I got maybe about halfway (?).  I may return to it and finish it eventually...  Or I might not.  For essentially a home brew game it's surprisingly professional feeling.  It's an old school style jRPG with many of the caveats that come with it.  It has its positives but it definitely leaves much to be desired in other areas.  The story and characters are pretty charming and it foregoes the whole chosen one save the world from an ancient evil BS, at least initially (it may come to that later, I don't know).  It has a "gather" system for powering up abilities that adds some strategy to the game.  However, the "gather" system doesn't come into play that often as it's usually a waste of time (literally) to use in most battles, outside of drawn out boss type battles.  As it's a jRPG, it's quite grindy and gets really tedious after a while.  To make matters worse, there is no way to increase battle speed, which exacerbates the problem by making even super easy battles needlessly long.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I enjoyed Starfleet Academy, especially the Balance of Terror scenario.

Will probably pick these up. Also will be waiting on Starfleet Command.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

so what's this Galaxy thing? I noticed I have it in my GoG library but I'm reluctant to install it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.