Good Old Games

Gorth

... they're not really Good old games anymore, they're just Gog.com now. A platform for DRM free releases, not just old games. And they've been that for at least a year.

And most of us have been blissfully ignoring that fact and will continue to do so. Because acronyms are just better and GoG is just fancier than Gog...

Where does GoG come from? Seriously, it drives some people utterly bonkers (and I'll admit it tweaks my inner autist's nose*) and has never been used officially yet half the population of the internet seem to use GoG rather than GOG. Why? It's clearly Good Old Games, GOG or- after a couple of wines, a meal and a nightcap- gog.

I'm baffled.

*He just rationalises it as standing for 'GoG of Games', since he likes recursive acronyms.

(little o's in acronyms are used only for 'of' or 'or', anything else should be capitalised, hence why it should not be GoG)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Where does GoG come from? Seriously, it drives some people utterly bonkers (and I'll admit it tweaks my inner autist's nose*) and has never been used officially yet half the population of the internet seem to use GoG rather than GOG. Why? It's clearly Good Old Games, GOG or- after a couple of wines, a meal and a nightcap- gog.

I'm baffled.

*He just rationalises it as standing for 'GoG of Games', since he likes recursive acronyms.

(little o's in acronyms are used only for 'of' or 'or', anything else should be capitalised, hence why it should not be GoG)

It's probably just because we have so many games that have a lower case o in the acronym, so it looks more natural.  WoW, PoP, CoD, etc.  It's not really something I notice much.

• Like 2

I'm baffled.

It's probably just because we have so many games that have a lower case o in the acronym, so it looks more natural.  WoW, PoP, CoD, etc.  It's not really something I notice much.

Yups, that's why. It should indeed be GOG of course. (though I do like recursive acronyms)

Ok, just for Zor's sake I'll stop typing GoG and will from now on call it gOg.

edit: that is until the capitalization balance is restored

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Should have called it Great Old Games.  Then it could have been GROG.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ok, just for Zor's sake I'll stop typing GoG and will from now on call it gOg.

edit: that is until the capitalization balance is restored

I'm really not that worried by how people capitalise it, everyone knows what is meant either way which is the important thing. It really was more of a question about why people capitalised it that way since it was illogical.

Got a sensible suggestion (ta, Hurlshot) so I'll go back to laughing at the people who do get very upset about things like lower case o's.

• Like 2

http://www.gog.com/game/trine_2_complete_story

Trine 2 for $5, impressive discount.

I just bought Heretic Kingdoms on GOG for $6, it looks good :)

http://www.gog.com/game/heretic_kingdoms_the_inquisition

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Shadowrun Returns is now on GOG with -40% sale.

But what really caught my eye is they now have a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee apparently on every game, meaning if the game doesn't work or has a game breaking bug in it they will give your money back. I guess that is a new thing as at least I haven't noticed it before.

New thing or not, I love GOG  :wub:

But what really caught my eye is they now have a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee apparently on every game, meaning if the game doesn't work or has a game breaking bug in it they will give your money back. I guess that is a new thing as at least I haven't noticed it before.

New thing or not, I love GOG  :wub:

It's a new thing. They just announced it today.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Did anyone get Redshirt since it is 40% off today?

I like the Star Trek part of it, but it just seems like it's mostly a facebook simulator in a Star Trek-like universe with the occasional away mission. Is it as bad as I think it is?

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I like the Star Trek part of it, but it just seems like it's mostly a facebook simulator in a Star Trek-like universe with the occasional away mission. Is it as bad as I think it is?

I was waiting for a sale like this. Reviews are very mixed.

But now that I have just decided to not buy any games for a while, I don't want to break thatresolution for Redshirt only a few days after making it. Keyrock wouldn't let me hear the end of it :p

I was waiting for a sale like this. Reviews are very mixed.

But now that I have just decided to not buy any games for a while, I don't want to break thatresolution for Redshirt only a few days after making it. Keyrock wouldn't let me hear the end of it :p

I thought about getting it for a long time as well but in the end I decided against it

Free games updated 3/4/21

Setting an example for Valve.

To be fair, even EA is setting an example for Valve.

Ubisoft was even great to me and gave me a refund for that copy of New Vegas I bought during the black friday weekend sale.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I thought about getting it for a long time as well but in the end I decided against it

They did a lot of damage to their sales with that initial 19.99 price tag. A lot of people who would have bought it on release decided to wait and lost the whole impulse buy enthusiasm.

Also:

Please note that all three classic Fallout titles are pending right holder change. Sadly, to the best of our knowledge, we'll be forced to remove Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics from our offer. That doesn't mean, however, that you won't be able to download them if they are already a part of collection by then. Secure your copies today (or anytime before Saturday, December 14, at 1:59PM GMT)!

Hmmmm.....