What type of Quests are the best for PE ?

quest  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What type of themes you like in quests ? (multi)

• Mystery/ secret etc.
    • Sceary, creepy etc.
    • Moral/Filozofical ( with questions or topics like "Are humans worse then beasts ?", "Can wold live withoud conflicts ?" etc
    • Clear about good and evil (black and white zone, they are bad we are good)
    • With high amount of grey zone (lesser evil, greater good etc).
    • Mature content (drugs, sex, alcohol)
    • Motiviting, happy, funny ones (optimism etc)
    • Sad, depressional, (pesimist)
    • Sweet, lovely, childlish ones :P
    • other.
  2. 2. What type of "Action" you seek in quests ? (one)

• Allways fightings, running, slashing, burning no time to think. (dioblo style)
    • Mostly action but i don't mind some "more peacful" quests.
    • Something between, i like quests tak have action but also quests that are without fight.
    • I like more "peacfull" quests, without to mush action but sometimes i like "more action".
    • I only prefer, logical mysterys, that allows me to use 100% of my mind insead of my sword, for me i coud live even without fights is whey provide me option to awid it.
    • other.
  3. 3. What type of quest you like most ? (multi)

• Detectiv-like, mystery. Find informations.
    • Find and kill something/someone.
    • Find and bring something (item)
    • Persuade someone, use someone to your advantege (for example say to noble to give you support)
    • Rescue someone, protect someone, (this assumes that this "someone" can die and you can fail this quest".
    • Create/ craft something.
    • Steal something or kill useing "assasination like skills" (rogue style of quest).
    • Learn domething (quest assumes that you must learn something "practical", for example fire ball spell, this doesn/t iclude "finding infromation" only gaining "ability or talent".
    • Riddle, logical puzzle (for example you must push some stone blocks in proper way to open door, gate etc"
    • other.

Hello !

What type of quest whoud you like to see in PE ? What type of quest you like most ? What "quest" was your favorite.

I personaly whoud like to see 2 types of quests:

1. (Mystery) Find out who is werewolf in port last (NWN1) my personaly favorite from that game.

2. (Mystery/ghost) A mansion with ghosts from Vampire Masquarade Bloodlines. The best known quest on the planet in my opinion.

It whoud be awsome to see quests like that in PE.

I also enjoyed "orzamar deep roads" from DAO (best quest from that game). Rakghouls and sewers from Kotor1 (also good). And allmost all quest from Witcher1, expecionally "Detectiv" part.

What type of quests you like ?

Edited by Ulquiorra

I think Obsidian should go with whatever they see fit their game.

Sorry, for the OT, but man, I hate that answer. Of course what they decide is probably (but still not necessarily) the best choice. But we're on a forum where we discuss our ideas about a game we'd love to play. It's always the same in every opinion-based thread in every forum in existence. There's always at least one guy who says "Well, every person should know for themselves". Yeah, of course they should. Obviously. But that's not what we're here to talk about.

_

Generally I'd love to have a high quest variety ranging from mystery/detective, to dungeon crawling, to grand adventuring. The best way to implement those, is to fit them into a long quest line, in my opinion, as oposed to having small different tasks, because that gets gamey really fast. I don't like ticking lists, I'd rather have them all be connected.

• Like 2

Elan_song.gif

Anything but black-and-white quests, it's a total turn off, because it usually come across as very patronizing, especially if there's a political elements (governing ideologies, gender politics, majority vs minority, etc) in the quest.

I used to like Assassin's Creed, but after AC2, the quests are pretty much "Assassins are noble freedom-fighting righteous rebel heroes, killing the creepy unhygienic incestuous dog-kicking shadow government called the Templars."

Edited by exodiark

I would love some good mystery/detective type quests. Though the problem with that is that the process of chasing down leads and deduction is rather difficult to translate to game terms. 

I'd also like it if quest objectives were deliberately misleading or quest givers were secretly using you for their own agenda. Something like the Moridor's Box quest from Torment.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

I, too, would like to see a large variety of different quest types. I would especially like to see longer quests that incorporate different themes/types into one quest along the lines of what SophosTheWise proposed.

Maybe more importantly than the actual type of the quest, I think that quests should have a narrative component to add depth, e.g. allowing the player to further develop the PC through roleplaying and choices, gradually revealing more information about NPCs or the world, creating atmosphere etc. "Wolves have recently killed livestock belonging to farmers in the north.  Please help the farmers by eliminating the threat. [Kill 5 wolves in the forest north of town]" - types of quests are pretty boring, in my opinion :( Unless there's some kind of unique twist to the quest. For example (probably not a good example of uniqueness), the wolf pack consists of farmer-werewolves and when the wolves are killed they revert to their human forms which could lead to a completely different quest. Ah, I guess I'm saying that I would like to see mystery/detective quests, too :D

so long as they are writen right, i like all quests... except for mindless fetch quests

even a childish-sweet quest can be full of moral issues and mystery if the writer is at a moment of inspiration when he makes it

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Sorry, for the OT, but man, I hate that answer. Of course what they decide is probably (but still not necessarily) the best choice. But we're on a forum where we discuss our ideas about a game we'd love to play. It's always the same in every opinion-based thread in every forum in existence. There's always at least one guy who says "Well, every person should know for themselves". Yeah, of course they should. Obviously. But that's not what we're here to talk about

You completly missed the point of my post.

Nah, you're just acting as if you were Captain Obvious.

Elan_song.gif

Variety is the spice of life. But I love building things up. Questlines where you are set a set of tasks, and how you overcome them determines how you end in the organisation. I'd love for it to go in several maybe even radically different directions based on player choice, but also skill.

I love complex quests, which aren't finished in single bound.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I still don't quite see what people find in that Bloodlines quest. It wasn't scary first time, it wasn't fun first time, it was... well, pretty lame. Definitely not the highlight of Bloodlines to me. The snuff internet cafe or the prostetics doctor were much scarrier to me. The house, not at all.

Maybe I just fear actual physical harm more than scary mental stuff that does nothing, I suppose.

As for my favorite quests, that's hard to say.

I do know mysteries or investigations tend to be fun first game, but just a major drag next game. If they add any, please, for the love of god, make the killer/perpetrator random per session. So you can't wont get the same plot, same interrogations, same everything, and it's boring and lame as hell second run. No RPG's have done so to date, so adding that as first would be nice.

Aside from that I really don't know what I would like. An interesting plot and scarcity could even make fetch quests fun.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I still don't quite see what people find in that Bloodlines quest. It wasn't scary first time, it wasn't fun first time, it was... well, pretty lame. Definitely not the highlight of Bloodlines to me. The snuff internet cafe or the prostetics doctor were much scarrier to me. The house, not at all.

Maybe I just fear actual physical harm more than scary mental stuff that does nothing, I suppose.

I like that quest becose of athomsphere, father that changed did something to his familly (if enyone whan't to know what see bloodlines), this quest was one of the few in entire games that i actualy enjoyed reading "plot related notes".

I agre that more sceary quest in game is entire hollywood with "internet cafe" and undergaund. (for me protetics doctor was not so sceary, hey you are serial killer .. hello im matha******  vampire ! buhahaha) :p

For me almos all "Bloodlines" quest where awsome, besides "shark demon" quest .. best part in entire bloodlines is that you don't recive EXP from fighting but from finding way out ant you gain exp regardless if you sneak, fight, speak or anything else ... secound was the athmosphere. In bloodlines you coud realy feel like a vampire and "Vampires" where not shiny cry babys, they where dangerous, sceary and sexy but not lame.

Edited by Ulquiorra

Sorry, for the OT, but man, I hate that answer. Of course what they decide is probably (but still not necessarily) the best choice. But we're on a forum where we discuss our ideas about a game we'd love to play. It's always the same in every opinion-based thread in every forum in existence. There's always at least one guy who says "Well, every person should know for themselves". Yeah, of course they should. Obviously. But that's not what we're here to talk about

You completly missed the point of my post.

Nah, you're just acting as if you were Captain Obvious.

I also don't understand the point of Sharp_ones original post and I agree with your sentiment around his comment Sophos.

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I like that quest becose of athomsphere, father that changed did something to his familly (if enyone whan't to know what see bloodlines), this quest was one of the few in entire games that i actualy enjoyed reading "plot related notes".

I agre that more sceary quest in game is entire hollywood with "internet cafe" and undergaund. (for me protetics doctor was not so sceary, hey you are serial killer .. hello im matha******  vampire ! buhahaha) :p

For me almos all "Bloodlines" quest where awsome, besides "shark demon" quest .. best part in entire bloodlines is that you don't recive EXP from fighting but from finding way out ant you gain exp regardless if you sneak, fight, speak or anything else ... secound was the athmosphere. In bloodlines you coud realy feel like a vampire and "Vampires" where not shiny cry babys, they where dangerous, sceary and sexy but not lame.

Yeah, atmosphere is a good point. Just, IMO, that quest completely lacked it, unlike the rest of the game. Personally, it's my low point of Bloodlines, not the high point most people say it's for them. Opinions and tastes, I assume.

And I agree with your other general assessements on Bloodlines. Especially on the XP (Deus Ex too), which is exactly one of the few games convincing me it's a perfect system for story-based RPG's like PE.

No more 'sure, I can diplomatic resolve it for 5000XP, but if I kill the whole sector I get 200000XP' (KOTOR2 is often doing just exactly that). Equality for stealth (which I personally hate, but therefore not want to take away from players who like it), diplomacy and combat alike.

And yes, the entire Masquerade, the characters, the setting, it just fitted just perfectly.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I'm kinda hoping they add in ones where it's "ok, sure we'll help you out ..." (time ... "bad guys" show up)... then quick dialogue showing they're either innocent, or you trying to be like "settle down ppl, we can sort this without bloodshed" ... 

Yeah, those ones are usually short (filler) and pointless, but they have always been more interesting than "go here, kill 8 rats, get gold"

• Like 2

well the quests i dont want to see, are the +1... that means, quests that are there for the sake of being there. like hmm... all the quests in a TES game

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

well the quests i dont want to see, are the +1... that means, quests that are there for the sake of being there. like hmm... all the quests in a TES game

I would have agreed if I didn't play Skyrim. A lot of 'em are actually really good in Skyrim, and there is more dynamical events as well, the whole game feels way more alive than Oblivion (though, you're right for a lot of 'em i think).

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I think it would be interesting to partake in a heist. I'm not talking about walk in to the Hall of Wonders, brazenly loot a case then stealth out--reprecussion free.

I'd like a multi-layered heist where many different skills would be necessary. Putting guards to sleep with a spell, charming the curator's daughter to access an office for security details, disabling some traps, etc. All this would need to be done without being detected, or at least diguised successfully enough to where you will otherwise become persona-non-grata even if you are able to swipe the item.

• Like 2

Personaly the quest i DON"T want to see, are quest like "kill 6 wolf that eated my sheep" or "bring me my ring that i lost when i was drunk".

Gothic 3 is a game where we can see them allmost in every city, but sometimes we get wvery good quest like "find the spy" or "steel some treasure" .. this game has a lots of badly anoying quest and very good ones.

Personaly the quest i DON"T want to see, are quest like "kill 6 wolf that eated my sheep" or "bring me my ring that i lost when i was drunk".

I, too, don't want to be sent on a quest to retrieve a lost-because-someone-was-drunk ring. BUT, happening upon a ring that someone lost when they were drunk (or, at least, having the potential to do so, probably before you even have any reason to be actively SEEKING that ring) and then taking the time to find out who owned it and/or give it back to them? That's more of an occurrence/simple choice, and I'm totally okay with that.

In other words, I'm completely against such quests, but not against such situations, outright. Something so simple never needs to be something you're tasked with, that you go out of your way specifically to seek out. And, granted, in plenty of games, they kind of tack those quests onto other quests, so that some main quest has you traveling to the area where this wolf cave is, but the optional quest has you taking the time to wander into the wolf cave and explore it, etc. But... I still think that's way lamer -- to be sent out to find some thing that's just lying about in some area you've got to go to anyway -- than doing it the other way around. "Oh, hey, because I explored and found this ring, I CAN choose to now take the time to wonder whose ring this is, and how it came to rest here, and maybe do something with that information" is much better than "I should be on the lookout for a ring that I most likely can't miss without just not even trying to look for it... when I find it, I know that I just need to return to this town, which I most likely need to return to anyway, and give it to this dude for some free stuff."

*shrug*. Just my 3.7 cents (inflation!)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u