InExile is plotting to ruin Torment by making it turn-based

khango

Right now, the vote is:

7139 TB

6920 RTwP

760 Indifferent

I'm not liking my chances of what I voted for of winning right now. 6160 votes is a lot to make up for just to tie for second place, none the less take over top spot. It looks like the over 59,586 backers whom so far have been even more indifferent then me to vote could easily swing that my way with gold bricks as change.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Right now, the vote is:

7139 TB

6920 RTwP

760 Indifferent

I'm not liking my chances of what I voted for of winning right now.

Me neither.

Indifferent has fallen so far behind, we'd need a miracle for it to win. I so had hoped for a backer update stating: "After popular demand the combat in Torment will be indifferent."

Seems we'll get TB or RTwP instead :(

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

What would "indifferent" combat look like?  The first thing that pops into my mind is Arcanum combat, which is downright frightening.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Maybe "indifferent" combat would go something like this:

Beefstick the Mighty and his band of intrepid adventurers were traipsing among the ruins the mythical Eech'i Aaz'k Raag when they spotted a group of hulking ogres.  They cautiously approached the ogres and their leader stepped forward to parlay.

Ogre Leader - "Gruumph!  You want fight?"

Beefstick - "Meh, not really.  I mean, if you really want to."

Ogre Leader - "Fight, not fight, me not care."

Beefstick - "Yeah, I don't really care either way."

Ogre Leader - "We both leave.  If anyone ask, big battle."

Beefstick - "Sounds good to me."

Beefstick the Mighty has gained 500 XP!  Beefstick the Mighty has gained a level!

• Like 9

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Updated our Journal (26): Decision

TL;DR: Combat vote results completed – statistically it was a tie! Torment: Tides of Numenera’s combat (and Crises) will be turn-based combat. We’ll address concerns expressed by Real-Time with Pause fans in our design.

The leading system changed a couple times early on and the final tally is: 7,267 TB, 7,052 RTwP and 782 Indifferent.

But is RTwP combat what made Planescape: Torment great? For some of you, the combat may have been an important part of your PST experience, and we hope that you’ll find the combat in Torment: Tides of Numenera to be at least equally enjoyable. But we don't think PST’s combat system was what most players loved about the game.

We believe PST is considered one of the greatest RPGs of all-time, not because its combat was Real-Time w/ Pause, but because of its emphasis on the narrative and on role-playing your character.

"The Planescape: Torment experience was never defined by its combat. In Torment: Tides of Numenera, the combat is intended to complement both the narrative systems and the basic gameplay mechanics. It is a challenging decision for the team to make, and I respect and support their decision to choose turn-based."

-- Chris Avellone, Lead Designer of Planescape: Torment; Creative Director at Obsidian Entertainment

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/686723

I literally busted out laughing when I read the update solely because of this thread's OP. I'm looking forward to the tide of butthurt about to roll in.

That said, I'm happy to see they went with TB.

Edited by AGX-17

I literally busted out laughing when I read the update solely because of this thread's OP. I'm looking forward to the tide of butthurt about to roll in.

Read some of the comments, they are hillarious :)

For example:

How do I withdraw my pledge!! I loathe despise hate Turn Based combat - doesn't matter how you coat it!! Please advice how I can get a refund - I have no interest in this game anymore! Thats a complete turnaround from yesterday!!

I may wait for its release + 1 year until its price drops - but I do not want to associate myself with so much $$ for a game I probably now will NEVER play!!!

InXile - please suggest forums for refund!!

How is it a "complete turnaround from yesterday"?

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

How is it a "complete turnaround from yesterday"?

The kind of people that rage over things like this by and large tend not to be rational people.  It is in their nature to react in an irrational manner and make statements based on figments of their imagination.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

They should have never started the combat poll in the first place.

The decision for tb doesn't surprise me and I am happy about the result.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

As I stated earlier in this thread I was in the RTwP camp, but I am fine with TB. I have enough TB games coming down the pipe that I would have enjoyed another RTwP game, but I am happy to get a game in PSTs spirit that is set in the 9th world. I really like the PnP setting and rules.

Edited by Ganrich

I am in favor of TB, but if they had decided on RTwP, I would have been fine with it.  The craziest part is people freaking out over combat in a game that's anything but focused on and defined by combat.  inXile has stated repeatedly that the amount of combat will be sparse and most, if not all of it, will be avoidable.  Of all the things that made Planescape: Torment the classic that it is, combat was the absolute least significant factor.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Why do I find the tears of internet outrage so delicious?

They'd better still have cinematics for high level spells in TToN though, I thought this was the integral and defining characteristic of PST. If they don't have this I shall be forced to break out the 'Torment in Name Only (TINO)' acronym, and perhaps contact the International Criminal Court and Ban-Ki Moon plus demand my money back plus extra for mental anguish.

bad tb combat can makes a game... painful. for those folks who don't like tb combat, we can understand their ire. tell peoples that torment tb will be different is not gonna help. also, for people who don't like combat at all, rtwp set at minimum difficulty is a viable alternative. am recalling that we were a bit shocked to discover just how many folks played through ps:t and the bgs with minimum combat difficulty. combats were an unavoidable annoyance for more than a handful. that annoyance gets multiplied by a factor o' 10 (at least)  if you makes tb. 

our vote were for tb 'cause we like squad-based tactical combat, but am not surprised that some folks is a little peeved by this design choice.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ended up not voting due to apathy. It's the type of game where I'd be happy to just enable cheats and autokill everything, frankly. Some element of schadenfreude in the reaction perhaps, but in terms of good business sense, I think it was a misstep to even pose the question. But in the end, just like most other games I've backed, I've blissfully ignored the minutiae of the development process.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Great news. Very pleased with the decision. PST, in my eyes, always suffered from not being TB, but now that will be compensated. Very good, very good.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

There is a decent chance that InXile is going to screw up the combat.  So I'd rather have it over with fast in real time than drawn out TB.

But maybe they'll get it right?

As all combat will be avoidable, so even if inXile can't get TB combat right even with their second try, at least it will not destroy whole game.

And as they planed timed events in their combat encounters in their RTwP variant, which in my opinion cause high risk that combat encounters will need constant use of save and load functions when your encounter timer runs out, meaning that you many players probably would have bent more time trying get past combat encounters than what they would in TB system even though combat itself runs faster. 

Repeating myself somewhat, but that's not really good for roleplaying - taking the option that's mechanically less hassle because one can't be bothered micromanaging it, as opposed to the one that's in character. A speech check is a click or two, killing someone might end up being several minutes of combat - bah, screw that. Executing people through dialogue should be an option in every conversation!

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

There's nothing mandating that turn based combat be several minutes either (especially if it's the type that would've been over very quickly with RTwP).

The most important thing here, however, is that the devs are working with a system that they want to work on.

• Like 5