InExile is plotting to ruin Torment by making it turn-based

khango

Of course I understand the difference. I can't believe you are even suggesting that I don't know, what an insult to my intelligence !!!

Turn based is like....mmm...ermmm...a turn in a game of checkers and RT with Pause is like...a.....a visit to the doctor when someone is before you and you need to wait...  :ermm:   :ermm:

Anyway I am really busy at the moment and can't go into more details than that   :wowey:

No it's more like Turn-based is someone shouts at you to say they are going to kill you and then waits to see what you do.  While RTwP is like someone shouts at you to say they are going to kill you while they are charging at you waving a big sword.

• Like 1

And needless to say, if you actually would want a turn-based system, DON'T VOTE.  (Please?)

Voted turnbased and emailed a friend to come vote for it too.

• Like 4

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I also voted turn based. The vote looks like it is so evenly split at the moment though, that Inexile will probably feel justified with whatever approach they take. I can't imagine real-time-with-a-pause will be so hard for them to do, especially since they've been sharing resources with P:E. If they were hoping the backers would decide for them, then they've failed. In the end they are going to make some people unhappy.

RtWP systems are usually implemented as turn based systems with timers, all real-time systems are if you dig deeply enough, but RtWP tend to be actual designed-to-be turn based systems converted to be real-time with timing windows, which makes them less than optimal but it does save the devs a lot of time and pain because the turn based systems they use tend to be already made, well understood, deep, and somewhat balanced (although in the conversion the balance can be badly broken, some features don't translate to real-time well at all).

• Like 1

I think turn-based is a great system for combat-centric games. Honestly, I coulnd't care less about combat in games like Torment and I wan it to be resolved quickly. I'm in it  for the story, not for intricate, tactical combat.

• Like 1

Elan_song.gif

To me it just seems wrong to sell something as a spiritual successor to PST and then want to go turn-based because you are already developing a game that is turn based.

To me it just seems wrong to sell something as a D&D game and then want to go real-time-with-pause, like the Infinity Engine games did in the first place...

• Like 4
jcod0.png

I want it to be turn based. Never been a fan of the real time with pause, probably one of the only things I don't like about the old infinity engine stuff. If they were all turn based they're be 10/10 games for me but being real time with pause is the -0.1 lol. It just felt chaotic and unorganised for me personally. Definitely a bit more fast paced if that's what you like

Edited by Bli1942

Voted turn-based. The best games with tactical combat are turn-based, turn based combat is easier to accomplish well, and InXile are already making a turn based combat game.

Interesting that the RPG which considered to have one of the best stories, also have one of the worst combat system. I wonder...

The KickStarter campaign proposed a spiritual successor in terms of theme and emphasis on story, it did not promise anyone a combat system similar to Planescape: Torment, and I'm wondering whether anyone actually would want that.

Would want what? better combat(like in other RPG classic or here) or pimp his RPG with the system the best games with tactical combat have? Which I suspect would make it much more combat oriented.

Wow, Torment actually got more backers than eternety project. I'm a bit sad that more people were interested in it than eternety, because for some reason i never liked the concept or lore of the Torment world.

Quite. Maybe some were thinking it's a sequel to Planescape.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Wow, Torment actually got more backers than eternety project. I'm a bit sad that more people were interested in it than eternety, because for some reason i never liked the concept or lore of the Torment world.

Quite. Maybe some were thinking it's a sequel to Planescape.

I think the "Torment world" Cubiq is referring to IS Planescape.

Ok i didn't actually check but i'm assuming the Torment: Tides of Numenera shares the world with Planscape: Torment right?

From what i saw the concept looks very similar.

And i wanted to say i never liked the concept or lore of the Planscape: Torment, therefore i am sad that more people supported Torment: Tides of Numenera.

If it's not the same world, then nevermind.

Edited by Cubiq

the main difference is

PE is made with a ruleset specifically designed for a CRPG with a RTWP combat system

TToN is using a PnP ruleset that is made for TB combat, and is adapting it for a CRPG. so making the game's combat system TB, has several advantages, especially on the fidelity of the system to the PnP original

• Like 6

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Why are they even making this a vote? They should pick the combat system based on what they feel is best for the game. The input of backers shouldn't trump that of game designers.

To be honest, I can't really muster any enthusiasm for this one, despite being a huge fan of the original. The whole thing screams cynical cash-in to me.

And needless to say, if you actually would want a turn-based system, DON'T VOTE.  (Please?)

Too late, I already voted for turn-based.  If I had another vote, I'd vote turn-based again.

Also, why is this a separate topic?  Why not just put this in the Torment Tides of Numenera thread?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks