What does Need for Speed Rivals and the Infinity Engine have in common? That's right, game speed tied to the framerate. This might have been acceptable in 1999, but in 2013, it's NOT.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Need-Speed-Rivals-Gimped-PC-60fps-Completely-Breaks-Game-60649.html

I expect animations in this game to look buttery smooth on my 120hz monitor, as a proper modern PC title should be able to do. Since it is my understanding that character animations are rendered in real-time, it should be possible for the game to scale naturally to any framerate; and even if some animations are pre-rendered at a fixed framerate (which would suck by itself, please avoid pre-rendered animations as much as possible), the game as a whole shouldn't be.

Edited by Zeckul

That's not a concern for Project Eternity.

Infinity Engine games were 2D, with pre-rendered animations, it made sense to fix the frame rate. It also makes sense to tie the physics and speed to the frame for a fixed platform like a console in the case of Need for Speed Rivals. What doesn't make sense is to make a game for console then port it to PC. It should always be the other way around, games should be developed on PC, made for PC, then ported to console with the varied restrictions because of the hardware limitations.

It's called "V-sync" and it just syncs the framerate to your monitor, so one way or another you don't get tearing. You can turn it off in almost every game, and few games in existence have ever locked a PC games framerate otherwise.

V-Sync is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about games where increasing the framerate results in an increase in simulation speed, as in the original IE titles.

It's called "V-sync" and it just syncs the framerate to your monitor, so one way or another you don't get tearing. You can turn it off in almost every game, and few games in existence have ever locked a PC games framerate otherwise.

if you have any IE game, go to the config and change the "updates per second" from 30 to 60 and then play the game... it will look like Benny Hill show

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 1 month later...

Yes! I too have a 120hz monitor and it really makes a big difference. Especially if you increase panning speed in bird view RPG or RTS games. Animations and action are easier to follow and more enjoyable. 120hz+120fps also really helps alot with the sample-and-hold smearing of LCD monitors. Don't hold gamers future upgrade ventures back, please support 120hz and 120fps!