And while credit card info seems to be safe (Kickstarter says only two user accounts showed evidence of unauthorized activity), usernames, email addresses, mailing addresses, and phone numbers were all exposed in the hack. And while Kickstarter passwords are encrypted, the company notes that skillful hackers may have the means to crack them.

This is why you make passwords long, 10 characters long, with symbols, numbers, upper and lower case. Then skilful hackers can't crack them.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/how-crackers-make-minced-meat-out-of-your-passwords/

It might help, it might not.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

This is why you make passwords long, 10 characters long, with symbols, numbers, upper and lower case. Then skilful hackers can't crack them.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/how-crackers-make-minced-meat-out-of-your-passwords/

The site of course has to encrypt and salt the password with the algorithms that were designed and function to do that, not whatever the **** those idiots were doing. I mean, you can have the best practice in the world but if the site stores passwords in plaintext or MD5/SHA1, you're completely screwed anyway, there's probably also various other holes in the site.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I'm pretty sure kickstarter doesn't handle payments, they're done via amazon.

I was going through my data there, and I couldn't find my address anywhere. I wonder if I've always just given it straight to the project or something? This is of above average interest to me due to the security concerns related to my current and previous work. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The site of course has to encrypt and salt the password with the algorithms that were designed and function to do that, not whatever the **** those idiots were doing. I mean, you can have the best practice in the world but if the site stores passwords in plaintext or MD5/SHA1, you're completely screwed anyway, there's probably also various other holes in the site.

As I understood it, it doesn't matter how good the password is, in the example in the article the hackers already have the passwords in hash form downloaded from the site. So it's only a matter of time. If you do something like password1234, they are going to get it on the first try, 1233456&%¤3SDFSwewflweu9ty+pjv a they will get on the 20th or whatever, run. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

As I understood it, it doesn't matter how good the password is, in the example in the article the hackers already have the passwords in hash form downloaded from the site. So it's only a matter of time. If you do something like password1234, they are going to get it on the first try, 1233456&%¤3SDFSwewflweu9ty+pjv a they will get on the 20th or whatever, run.

You have to understand the hashing algorithms and the difference between SHA-512 and what was being cracked in the article MD5/SHA-1. No one who is security conscious at all would hash passwords with MD5.

It is only a matter of time, but the only reason they were able to get strong passwords was because of the hash algorithm being extremely weak. There are much stronger algorithms where not only are the hashes larger, but they're hashed and salted many times, slowing down the the process. Also there's memory hard problems where you can't brute force it all, you have to get a prohibitively expensive amount of memory, more than could possibly be bought outside super computers. If the industry standard algorithms are used then it would take many times more years than there has ever been, and longer than the Earth will exist, for a massive bot net of today's computers (going at one hundred trillion guesses per second) to brute force a random 30 character password with symbols, upper and lower case, and numbers. If it's random then the crackers can't use their dictionary and prediction algorithms to shorten the cracking time.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

StarCrawlers needs some money!

In StarCrawlers you'll be navigating the halls of massive abandoned ships and sneaking through corporate facilities in a dynamic and interactive environment. Hack terminals to create shortcuts or find valuable data, disable or evade a variety of traps, grab as much salvage as you can carry, and keep your eyes peeled for hidden areas, loot and enemies.

Combat in StarCrawlers has a traditional turn-based RPG style with a time unit action system. Unleash a series of light attacks with speedy, low cost actions, or strike a mighty blow with a heavy, high cost action. Smart choices about which abilities to use and when make the difference between victory and defeat. Take a look at the video below to see combat in action.
  • Like 1

I bet it's the US hacking things again to spy on people. Who else would do it? Nobody.

mmmm..the Chinese and they have done it before. What is my present for answering the question?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I bet it's the US hacking things again to spy on people. Who else would do it? Nobody.

mmmm..the Chinese and they have done it before. What is my present for answering the question?

Hacking computers to spy on people?

North Korea, Britain, Russia, France, Iran, Syria, ... to name but a few.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Zaharia is currently up on Kickstarter.  They even have a short pre-alpha prototype that you can download and play.   t's an isometric cRPG with turn-based combat set in a fantasy world inspired by Middle Eastern culture.  There's going to be a lot of emphasis on choice and consequence (e.g., most combat is actually avoidable if you use stealth, diplomacy, etc.).  Looks really great, but they're struggling to get funded.

Hacking computers to spy on people?

North Korea, Britain, Russia, France, Iran, Syria, ... to name but a few.

LOL, NK doesn't even have internet. You, dude, should watch the news more. USA has the largest spying program in the world as it has recently been revealed.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

BUMP

StarCrawlers needs some money!

In StarCrawlers you'll be navigating the halls of massive abandoned ships and sneaking through corporate facilities in a dynamic and interactive environment. Hack terminals to create shortcuts or find valuable data, disable or evade a variety of traps, grab as much salvage as you can carry, and keep your eyes peeled for hidden areas, loot and enemies.

Combat in StarCrawlers has a traditional turn-based RPG style with a time unit action system. Unleash a series of light attacks with speedy, low cost actions, or strike a mighty blow with a heavy, high cost action. Smart choices about which abilities to use and when make the difference between victory and defeat. Take a look at the video below to see combat in action.

Backed StarCrawlers because it was cheap (under $15) and DRM free and if that isn't a ringing endorsement then I don't know what is

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21