If Im not crushed into goo by an ogre in my first 10 minutes of gameplay, I wont be happy.

After first level, wizards' class abilities are access to spells, period. Fighters (and other melee-oriented classes) have access to their own class abilities. Whether they are literally magical in nature or not, they will in many cases be more powerful than a comparable spell gained at the same level. The ultimate advantage of wizards is flexibility. They can potentially learn all spells available to wizards and at any given time are only limited by what's in their current grimoire. If a wizard gains access to a spell at X level that does 20-50 damage to all targets at close range in a 10' radius, a comparable paladin melee AoE damage attack gained at X level will do significantly more damage and likely with a higher Accuracy.

Sounds to me that a lot of classes will have Aoe attacks, i hope it wont make every combat tactic: spam aoe abilities on every cooldown.

Though other classes will have abilities for crowds, barbarians are the only AOE-centric melee class.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

Yeah, but one ability per class might already be too many, or the combat tactics will probably always go:

-Clump everyone up

-use all aoe abilities on all your characters

unless they actually make them hurt party members also (melee included)

He actually sort of has a point. Not necessarily about being killed, but being allowed to rush through the dialogue/cancel cutscenes and get to the action on consecutive playthroughs. I know I don't read the BG dialogue on my 30th playthrough that's for sure.

I hope you are playing a heavily modified game, even then it seem a bit too much. If you already know the story back and forth and play only for the action, wouldn't be better to experience some other game? I know its blasphemy to some, but as far as action/tactics involved there other games which at the very least not worse and might have half decent story that you will like..

Heck, I still even play KOTOR2 for the dialouge, the choices, and in no way the combat.

What point else would there be to play?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Like the NPC on the farm in BG1 that tells you its Ankheg breeding season, and you're like 'Wuts an Ankheg? Easy, I go kill'.

Then the first time you wander off Ankheg hunting, your party dies.

Whereas in LolOblivilol, 'Oh noes, the most evil necromancer is being ressurected, you forth young conjurer and kill him'. I'm only level 1 because I can, and I kill him with zero effort. Superb danger and on edge risky gameplay. Excepts that the Sims is harder, because in that game eventually the Grim Reaper comes and kills you.

This is exactly what happened to my first party in BG1. I recall this like it was yesterday! :D

Ah, the fond memories of being torn to pieces by serrated fangs the length of scythe-heads...

I actually encountered my first ankheg coming out of those kobold-infested mines on the other side. The result was the same though.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

No no no, MAGE supremacy.

In BG and IWD, Mages ruled supreme, at least after they went through all that painful levelling with crappy HP. Fighters on the other hand had an easier time at all levels, but in the end game didnt match the power of the spells in those games.

So that was kind of balanced. I would like it just like that, the idea of a class (preferably mage) that starts off super weak, but when they have levelled up they are most powerful.

**** mages. Give me ten different kinds of feinting maneuvers, each one useful against different attacks - some broad, some niche - and each with their own specific counters. Let wizards cast acid arrow all day every day.

cr5cMD0.jpg

That's a noob mage, where's his Chain Contingency Protection from magic weapons + Stoneskin + Mislead???? Nub.

Why cant there be a new game with BGs spell system :(

Oh wait, the warrior is the mage and not the guy getting killed? That's so confusing.

Edited by Mungri

Pro wizards don't go anywhere without their contigencies and a full page worth of mirror images, stoneskins and protection from magic weapons, pfffft.

And all they need to cast on a fighter is an irresistible dance.

Edited by Mungri

What can I say? He obviously just got out of a tough battle with another high-level fighter who successfully countered all of his defencive maneuvers. Don't blame a fella for running on fumes at the end of the day; blame Vancian Swordfighting.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

Like the NPC on the farm in BG1 that tells you its Ankheg breeding season, and you're like 'Wuts an Ankheg? Easy, I go kill'.

Then the first time you wander off Ankheg hunting, your party dies.

Whereas in LolOblivilol, 'Oh noes, the most evil necromancer is being ressurected, you forth young conjurer and kill him'. I'm only level 1 because I can, and I kill him with zero effort. Superb danger and on edge risky gameplay. Excepts that the Sims is harder, because in that game eventually the Grim Reaper comes and kills you.

This is exactly what happened to my first party in BG1. I recall this like it was yesterday! :D

Ah, the fond memories of being torn to pieces by serrated fangs the length of scythe-heads...

I actually encountered my first ankheg coming out of those kobold-infested mines on the other side. The result was the same though.

Yeah I got ankheged myself just trying to wander around in the first game.

I also those spiders near High Hedge got me a whole lot.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's kinda funny. My first time through BG, I accidentally missed the ankhegs entirely until near the end of the game. When I did run into them, I was all ready to fight this hyped up enemy and they just kinda... died.

He should have humped back to the rest spot before that battle.

Timed quest, yo.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

I agree. Screw balance.

xzd2r3U.gif

Fighter supremacy for life, mother****ers.

What about the Fist Wizard?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Or charmed for eternity and made into a sirens lifelong playtoy with a game over screen.

You've been playing too many Japanese PC games.

They prefer to be called Muscle Americans.

Isn't that Mike Haggar, mayor of Earth?

Eu7088c.jpg

Edited by AGX-17

Sounds to me that a lot of classes will have Aoe attacks, i hope it wont make every combat tactic: spam aoe abilities on every cooldown.

Unless all the enemies just happen to have terrible Reflex values, spamming AOE's non-stop will be a pretty terrible tactic. Many enemies will most likely laugh at your AOE spells.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I guess in summary that means being able to defeat every opponent that you encounter is boring as hell, and I fully agree with that. Almost feels like a computer game..

Anyway, I think the best game I've seen in that respect was gothic. I remember one area where you killed some minor opponents, mostly animals around a cave, and in the cave itself, and then suddenly you encountered an orc warrior who could cut you down with one hit. Problem was, he could even outrun you, so you had to climb somewhere on a rock and climb better then the orc (fighting from a higher ground was also easier) , jump in the water if there was any lake or river around, or run away in a hick-hack course to avoid being hit. Good times

Edited by Iucounu

What about the Fist Wizard?

Muscle wizard for teh win.

Best class ever.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Or charmed for eternity and made into a sirens lifelong playtoy with a game over screen.

You've been playing too many Japanese PC games.

They prefer to be called Muscle Americans.

Isn't that Mike Haggar, mayor of Earth?

Eu7088c.jpg

I don't play JRPGs acually, everything in the OP is from Baldurs gate (dire charm sirens charming charname = game over).