About lore and background in games

Obsidian, too, are going to make it their own franchise.  So, they are most likely to put lore in the way which allows the players to interpret with their own imagination as like some good supplements in PnP RPGs (I'd refrain my opinon about FR, though).  That said, as some people mentioned, I wonder how they would treat codex/item descriptions, especially some of the latter are cooperated by some of the backers.

some of the best RPGs ever made were despite being set in FR, not because of it

well, what a coincidence then..

Well that's your opinion. I think the universe is probably the best iteration of the western-themed fantasy RPG world since Tolkien. It is not wholly original, and certainly not groundbreaking.  But lore and the pantheon are interesting, and some of the best RPGs ever made were done so using the Forgotten Realms.  

FR imo is a big playing field, that sticks all popular western mythology and fantasy tropes together  to provide an adventurous athmosphere for the player. And in that, I think it does a pretty good job. Or at least did a pretty good job. 

That said, like some people here, I have to remind you that the actual gameplay of this game is exparienced through "isometric" view and, if you don't appreciate lot of reading, you may not be able to make full out of it.

I have absolutely no problem with reading, or I'd probably have nothing to do here ^^

• Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?