GDC slides including new awesome screenshots

3/4 is the rule we have for base armor suits because they are the common baseline shared between most folks in the world.  Unique suits can have more coverage.  All of the armor in the concept art is base armor with the exception of the "fancy" bronze plate on the far right.  That's a suit of armor from an animat.

"Full plate" is not separate category from "plate armor", but a suit of fine (quality) plate armor will resemble something closer to field/full plate.

Tinting materials other than cloth tends to produce bad results.  Shiny metal and leather are two of the worst things to tint because the way in which tinting works (multiplicatively with the RGB value) requires a low contrast, light greyscale base texture.  You'd think this would be perfect for something like steel, but it usually looks strangely anodized/not good.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this does not mean "we don't have leg armor," right?

3/4 armor is about as much coverage as we have, mostly so there's still visible cloth you can tint.  If there's nothing to tint, then you're really not going to be able to tell people apart.

Some other people interpreted this in way I found odd.  It seemed to me that he was saying that armor coverage is going to account for a maximum of 3/4 of a body's "costume" so you can tell them apart.  Not that you will only be able to armor 3/4 of the body (3/4ths of what?).  Or another way of saying it is that in 100% armor, you will still have about 1/4 of unique space per character so you can tell them apart.

what

3/4 plate leaves the lower leg unprotected, so a tad more than the armoured dude here

Well I don't think we are talking about just plate. Anyway, there is a difference between 3/4 plate covering XYZ, and the physical limitation of, say, not having leg slots available as an armor choice.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this does not mean "we don't have leg armor," right?

None of the base armor types have full coverage.  Some of the PE-equivalents of +1, +2 etc. + unique armors do have full (or very close to it) coverage.

As in A/D&D and the IE games, leg slots are not for armor, mechanically.

• Like 1

None of the base armor types have full coverage.  Some of the PE-equivalents of +1, +2 etc. + unique armors do have full (or very close to it) coverage.

Okay, cool. Thanks.

Edit:

This is purely my imagination, but I am picturing an IE style paper doll set up (with or without the doll). As in, main armor slot, boots, gloves, helm, rings, amulet, cloak, and belt. I'm not picturing the Morrowind armor-everything-including-your-genitals type setup.

Edited by decado

This is purely my imagination, but I am picturing an IE style paper doll set up (with or without the doll). As in, main armor slot, boots, gloves, helm, rings, amulet, cloak, and belt. I'm not picturing the Morrowind armor-everything-including-your-genitals type setup.

Yes, the equipment screen is more A/D&D / IE-like in terms of the slots you use and what those slots do.

Tinting materials other than cloth tends to produce bad results.  Shiny metal and leather are two of the worst things to tint because the way in which tinting works (multiplicatively with the RGB value) requires a low contrast, light greyscale base texture.

I'm nae fussed about the armours, but there's more than one way to do tinting. Working in RGB is indeed a pain when it comes to mixing colours, but there are other colour spaces (like Lab) where perceptually similar colours are close to eachother, so additive/multiplicative interpolation/combination works much more like you "expect" it to.

Then again I've no clue how real-time shaders work and whether flipping to another colour space and back is computationally out of the question.

Edér sounds more Celtic to me. Bradán, Edan, Erryn... that sort of thing.

Yeap.  Edair still looks better on paper and is more user friendly though.  In they end they sound the same spoken aloud so whatevs.

• Like 1

Edér reminds me of this:

While I'm mildly amused by the fact that it's similar to "ledér" (approximately meaning lecherous, but it's almost exclusively used only when referring to women) and "egér" (=mouse). Still, I don't think that the manic giggling of the maybe 30 hungarian-speaking fans should be a reason to change it back. (Not that I wouldn't be pleased by that, though.)

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Edér reminds me of this:

While I'm mildly amused by the fact that it's similar to "ledér" (approximately meaning lecherous, but it's almost exclusively used only when referring to women) and "egér" (=mouse). Still, I don't think that the manic giggling of the maybe 30 hungarian-speaking fans should be a reason to change it back. (Not that I wouldn't be pleased by that, though.)

That's hilarious  :lol:  :lol: 

By the way, if you want to listen to Meister Edér in Swiss German... Today's your lucky day.

Elan_song.gif

I love that oil painting concept art approach. So mesmerising beautifull. I cant wait until I get my book.

Armor and weapons are shaping nicly. It is very realistic/belivable, I was worried for awhile, but now, just epiC! Some of it looks like ornament armor, but guess that is some fancy loot or customised. Hope that some heavy armor can be heavy chainmail with scales over it. 

Plz share more with us. You guys are delivering and your art team deserves praise! I am starting to love PE world by the looks of it, it ours world but somewhat alien, no uber shoulderpads, extravagant chainmail bikinis (although I am not against it if it fits story, some eccentric rich noblewoman/sorceress) If anything you are keeping your end of the bargain by the looks so far, have some fun with cliche here and there! :D

As for spell effects..love it...pretty, pretty... Some stuff could be toned down, but that is individual. So I hope you guys add some sort of slider in options for magic effects. Personally I loved effects, maybe those "magic missiles" need to be toned down, so hence a slider. Also what I think it would be cool is if some spell effects could only be seen by arcane users themselfs. That Globe for example could be toned down and whn its hit, unless one is arcane user he/she would see only "ripples" where globe has been struck.

If there is some sort of magic missiles, it would be nice if we could cast individuall missiles to our choosing. I missed in BG whn certain spell would increase in power/lvl like magic missiles, flaming arrow and melf acid arrow, we could not choose to cast those at diff targets or choose  just one. Especially if going solo and being attacked by pack of gibberlings, mostly one magic missile is needed.

Also whn I am saying to tone certain effects, that lightning should do VERY HIGH damage. A tazer carries a punch and stuns and there is faint blueish light. That lightning should fry!!!

Especially if target is armored in metal.

Well that is some of my thoughts. It starts to look PRETTY PRETTY! Plz share some more art and screenshots of ingame encounters and battles. So we can get back with feedback or just have healthy rant and ventilate our thoughts, even if they are not all coherent :D

magic021.jpg