A No brainer intro movie suggestion

This is probably already a given, but if not I would like to raise my fist in favor of an Icewind Dale 1 style intro movie & Chapter introductions.

Kazunori Aruga illustrations + Justin Bell music + narration of written content by a voice actor.

This was easily the best introduction of any IE game IMO.

• Like 3

I know for a fact (as does Junta) that we already have a thread about cinematics and if/when they should be in game.

That said, sure why not go with this style?  Just don't get confused and think it is somehow "cheaper and more cost effective".  Though I would like to see some gameplay mixed in here in there in a stylistic way.  I know you guys probably hate them in general but JRPG's have gotten really good at using animated cinematics mixed with actual gameplay for their titles so you could look there for example of what I mean.  That said stylistically you obviously want to avoid "anime".

Personally, I thought the IWD intros were conceptually fine, but somewhat grating in reality. Part of that is the voice actor's voice, I think, although the actual content plays no small part.

Generally, though, I'm hoping that P:E doesn't have the rigid chapterised form of IWD, and therefore doesn't need such an extended opening narrative and can instead just be 'You're here, now get on with not getting killed".

IWD definitely has the best intro of the IE games, and I wouldn't be opposed to something similar in P:E. It would also fit nicely with the illustrated "choose-your-own-adventure"-style screens that we already know P:E will have.

I wouln't mind some other approach either, as long as it were at least as classy and future-proof. The intro cinematics of the other IE games are really cheesy and outdated these days, and I wouldn't want P:E to suffer the same problem.

• Like 1

Yes, nearly all of those CGI-based introductory videos look completely fake. I can't exactly say they put me in the mood. The ones that usually work the best are those that are deliberately simplified, with hand-drawn or watercolor graphics.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Agree that IWD has a great intro ... but I like the voiceover done in BG better.

Yes Kevin Michael Richardson has a great voice. I like David Ogden Stiers though as well. The chick who does the Aerie voice (forget her name, Kate Soucie maybe?) is okay but just doesn't have the same gravitas as the other two - but the style of narration in IWD2 was different.

Icewind Dales introduction was a very fine piece of narration, and personally I loved the art style, so I would be more than happy with such an introduction. As Sensuki states Mr Stier's or Richardson would be worthy candidates, with their rich and distinctive tones, though if I might add perhaps Simon Templeman or Michael Bell might be a good match also.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The VO budget will likely be "small" - after watching the DFA Documentary covering audio I'd rather they just go with whoever does the best performance for the role, rather than 'inviting' big names to come and do it.

Edited by Sensuki

I would like to raise my fist in favor of an Icewind Dale 1 style intro movie & Chapter introductions.

It doesn't have to be a book, but I agree such "slideshow" + narration is both simple and fit the mode, as well as lending perfectly into what we seen of Kaz art style.

pe-water-tunnel-ext-580.jpg

The only improvement I can think of, is a subtle animation style, which brakes each slide into couple of elements and move them, it makes such slideshow feel more alive. I don't know how its called, but i'll post a link once I find an example.

EDIT: I couldn't find a good example or fantasy themed one, but I guess those two will do:

Witcher 1 recap(wrong style and nothing subtle about it) Swtor timeline(wrong style, but it passes the idea)

Edited by Mor

I remember reading that technology in the Project Eternity World won't include the printed press. It would seem right if they did an animation or a slideshow of pictures depicting the making of a book from those days before the making of the printed press like start out at a jungle or forest as a hunter kills a deer(this to showcase the world and could also introduce the hardship of even just making paper with attacks on the hunter by wild beasts or hordes), then it goes to the skinning process, making it's hide into the paper that makes the book all the while telling the story of the world. (This of course should be easily skippable by a simple mouse-click, but those who want something to introduce them to the world they can have that as a start)

The underline idea of what have been suggested here is the same. For example, take this screen:

pe-water-tunnel-ext-580.jpg

Stream the text to the left with narration and change the image to the right.

That image is actually a scripted interaction screen from the game. It's not part of any cinematic. There will be many of these in Eternity.

tCNUkkM.jpg

Everyone's an idea guy.

The phrase you're looking for is bikeshedding.

In the third chapter, "High Finance, or the Point of Vanishing Interest", Parkinson writes about a finance committee meeting with a three-item agenda.

The first is the signing of a £10[3] million contract to build a reactor, the second a proposal to build a £350 bicycle shed for the clerical staff, and the third proposes £21 a year to supply refreshments for the Joint Welfare Committee.

The £10 million number is too big and too technical, and it passes in two minutes and a half.

The bicycle shed is a subject understood by the board, and the amount within their life experience, so committee member Mr. Softleigh says that an aluminium roof is too expensive and they should use asbestos. Mr. Holdfast wants galvanized iron. Mr. Daring questions the need for the shed at all. Mr. Holdfast disagrees.

Parkinson then writes: "The debate is fairly launched. A sum of £350 is well within everybody's comprehension. Everyone can visualize a bicycle shed. Discussion goes on, therefore, for forty-five minutes, with the possible result of saving some £50. Members at length sit back with a feeling of accomplishment."

Parkinson then described the third agenda item, writing: "There may be members of the committee who might fail to distinguish between asbestos and galvanized iron, but every man there knows about coffee – what it is, how it should be made, where it should be bought – and whether indeed it should be bought at all. This item on the agenda will occupy the members for an hour and a quarter, and they will end by asking the Secretary to procure further information, leaving the matter to be decided at the next meeting."

How about using select scripted interactions during the intro like king of dragon pass? That way we can engage our imaginations and roleplay a bit depending on our character build. Probably never happen through.

• Like 1

Shadows of Amn had a better intro. It was captivating, even if it was just retreading what you already know if you played the first game. I kind of hated Icewind Dale's opening. The art was very good, and the voiceover was fine everywhere else, but I wasn't drawn in at all. The lore didn't even really end up playing a part until the very end of the game anyway. Good style, not so good execution.

If they want to do something dynamic, I kind of hope they'll do most of the work in engine. Baldur's Gate mixes and matches to great effect and PS:T rare leaves the in-engine sequences.

• Like 1