Any suggestions on a good CO-OP/Multiplayer RPG Game?

Failedlegend

Pretty much the title...My gamer girl and I love experiences RPGs together even if we just takes turns playing but we discovered the greatness that is the Tales series (we've already played through Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia) and now were addicted to CO-OP RPGs and hoping more exist so I figured I ask at a few of my favorite forums.

So yeah we literally JUST finished Vesperia so were looking for another one, now we really prefer a standard RPG as opposed to something like Diablo but feel free to suggest anything also We'd prefer games on NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Wii or Gamecube since I own all those systems but if there's an awesome enough game I might hunt down the relevant system (including PS3 since PS4s release will likely lower its price).

So far I'm looking into Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Diablo 3 (Xbox360), Borderlands 2 (she might not like this one), and hopefully I can find the other tales games (would appreciate a list actually)but I'm sure theres WAY more than that so please lay your suggestions on me...vague, obscure, limited release I don't care as long as you think it would be fun.

So yeah go nuts suggest away :banana:

You can play Baldur's Gate 2 in co-op, though I never tried so wouldn't know how it plays.

My personal co-op experience stops with PS2, and there's only a handful of games I could call RPG with a grain of salt.

those Everquest spin-offs come to mind, Champions of Norrath or something. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 as well. Hunter: The Reckoning. Gauntlet series of games. there's a D'n'D game that can be played in co-op as well as at least one LoTR game. all of these are really Diablo-style with a bit more depth to combat. not real RPGs by any means.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Only going to be released in february 2014 (but might be worth keeping an eye on) but Divinity: Original Sin is going to be rather two player co-op focused (including two main characters and an actual co-op dialogue system, which I'm really interested in). Combat will be turn based (which imo seems like a good fit for a co-op game).

On a another note I personally thought BG2 co-op was rather annoying, me and my co-op partner rather quickly ditched it and went back to single player. But ymmv of course.

You can run some Torchlight 2 co-op, it's great loot em' up fun.

Also, it's not an RPG, but Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a terrific co-op game.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My personal co-op experience stops with PS2, and there's only a handful of games I could call RPG with a grain of salt.

those Everquest spin-offs come to mind there's a D'n'D game that can be played in co-op as well as at least one LoTR game. all of these are really Diablo-style with a bit more depth to combat. not real RPGs by any means.

We already play an MMO called DnD Online and we love it were specifically looking for somethin we can play whilst in the same room

Any chance you know the names of those other games you mentioned

Only going to be released in february 2014 (but might be worth keeping an eye on) but Divinity: Original Sin is going to be rather two player co-op focused (including two main characters and an actual co-op dialogue system, which I'm really interested in). Combat will be turn based (which imo seems like a good fit for a co-op game).

On a another note I personally thought BG2 co-op was rather annoying, me and my co-op partner rather quickly ditched it and went back to single player. But ymmv of course.

I looked into Divinity Original Sin it looks like it could be amazing but from what I read its online only which is fine as we both have laptops but we do prefer consoles for our CO-OPness...don't stop suggesting PC Games though as I'm going to compile all the games mentioned for us to decide on...and will likely continue to use well into the future :D

As for BG2 I'm waiting for the Enhanced Edition and BG1EE is definately on the list of possibilities as well

You can run some Torchlight 2 co-op, it's great loot em' up fun.

That and the Dark Alliance/Norrath games (mentioned by Sorphx) seem like something we'd like :D Although we are worried they might be a bit light on the story...I mean the tales games aren't mega epic tales by any strectch but we did enjoy the story

Edited by Failedlegend

Path of the Exile, although a hack'n'slash is pretty darn good with a buddy. It's not too fast and it's not so slow that the faster player has to wait. RPG wise, the story can be good if you spend time on it, but you don't really.

and then it's free of course.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I'll recommend you JRPGs if you like the format of Tales, rather than dungeon crawlers/hack-and-slashers/loot games (which would be lighter in story).

Secret of Mana should be a blast for you. Get on it! It's on the Wii VC.

If you want more Tales games, PS3 would be the best investment. Graces and Xillia are out. Xillia 2 is coming out in English next year. On PS1, there's also Destiny and Eternia (localized as 'Destiny 2'). I don't know too much about the PS2 ones. Careful not to burn out on Tales games, though.

Final Fantasy 6 (3 US) can be played co-op, btw (but not the GBA version). Cheapest way to play it would be on the Wii VC. FF9 (PS1) as well, which should be dirtcheap nowadays. Bear in mind that the  two FF games are 'turn-based'-ish (active time battle, officially). You have 4 characters on screens whose action bar goes up in real-time. When it's full, you can make an action. You do not move the characters around in real-time during combat. Co-op basically allows you to split the party to allow each player control of 2 characters.

On 360/PS3, you can also grab Eternal Sonata, but I do not actually recommend the game (has nice music, though!). Actually, forget I wrote this line.

And as much as I love the Infinity Engine games, the way the combat works made the co-op a pretty jarring experience. RTwP made coordination a hassle.

Some of this may not apply if you're not in North America, though!

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yeah, story is not really the focus of Torchlight 2.  It has a story and it's...  serviceable, I guess, but the game is about killing lots and lots of things and picking up lots and lots of loot.  I'd look elsewhere for story.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well this is what I have so far

CO-OP Games

NES
- None yet

SNES
- Secret of Mana
- Secret of Evermore (2 Player Version)
- Final Fantasy 6

Gamecube
- None yet

DS
- Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light

Wii
- None yet

Xbox
- None yet

Xbox360
- Diablo 3
- Borderlands 1/2
- Dungeon Siege 3
- Eternal Sonata

PS1
-Tales of Destiny
- Final Fantasy 5
- Final Fantasy 9

PS2
- Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2
- Fallout: Brotherhood
- Champions of Norrath
- Champions: Return to Arms
- Tales of Destiny 2

PS3
- Tales of Xillia 1/2
- Tales of Graces F

PC
- Baldur's Gate EE 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
- Divinity:Original Sin (not yet released)

- Neverwinter Nights 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)

Edited by Failedlegend

For hack and slash with some good writing:

Deathspank

Deathspank and the Thongs of Virtue

The Baconing

Played them all..several times...probably will play several more times...really wish tere was a co-op option for thgat it would be SO MUCH fun.

Anyways I don't know why but those games remined of thast super hero cartoon show "The Tick"

Edited by Failedlegend

I wouldn't wish Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on my worst enemies.  As a fan of hack and slash (since its not fantasy perhaps that should be "shoot and...shoot some more"?) games, I can say that its one of the few that I actively disliked.

I was, however, a fan of Hunter: The Reckoning (XBOX), Hunter: The Reckoning: Wayward (PS2) and Hunter: The Reckoning: Redeemer (XBOX).  I seem to recall liking the original more than the other two and the XBOX games slightly better than the PS2.

And I loved Champions of Norrath, but again very hack/slash and not as strong on story (although it is there) as some games.  They're probably more like Diablo II in terms of story focus, I guess.

I'm not a fan of the IE games in multiplayer - know some love it but I didn't.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Added a bunch more games (including the hunter ones you mentioned Amentep, also including the deathspank games because apprently you can play co-op)

CO-OP Games

NES
- None yet

SNES
- Secret of Mana
- Secret of Evermore (2 Player Version)
- Final Fantasy 6

Gamecube
- Phantasy Star Episode 1&2 Plus

DS/3DS
- Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light

- Fire Emblem: Awakening

- Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky

- Lord of the Rings: Conquest

- Children of Mana

Wii
- None yet

Xbox
- Hunter: The Reckoning

- Hunter: The Reckoning: Redeemer

Xbox360
- Diablo 3
- Borderlands 1/2
- Dungeon Siege 3
- Eternal Sonata

- Overlord 2

- Deathspank, Deathspank 2, Deathspank: The Baconing

- Torchlight

PS1
-Tales of Destiny
- Final Fantasy 5
- Final Fantasy 9

- Diablo 1

PS2
- Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2
- Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
- Champions of Norrath
- Champions: Return to Arms
- Tales of Destiny 2

- Shining Tears

- Hunter: The Reckoning: Wayward

PS3
- Tales of Xillia 1/2
- Tales of Graces F

PC
- Baldur's Gate EE 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
- Divinity:Original Sin (not yet released)

- Neverwinter Nights 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)

- Dungon Siege 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)

- Conclave

- Diablo 2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)

- Overlord (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)

- Torchlight 2

Edited by Failedlegend

Thinking about Snowblind (who did Champions of Norrath) also did Lord of the Rings: War in the North (360 - but multiplatform).  Which I didn't like as much as the Norrath games, but I did think was kind of fun and played a couple of times.

Which reminds me that I quite liked the co-op fantasy title that InXile put out at around the same time - Hunted: The Demon's Forge (360/PS3)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Final Fantasy 6 (3 US) can be played co-op, btw (but not the GBA version). Cheapest way to play it would be on the Wii VC. FF9 (PS1) as well, which should be dirtcheap nowadays. Bear in mind that the  two FF games are 'turn-based'-ish (active time battle, officially). You have 4 characters on screens whose action bar goes up in real-time. 

I owned those games for like ten years and this is the first time I've ever heard of them being co-op. The sad thing is, now I've looked it up, it turns out it's true. Menus eh, who ever reads those things? 

Pretty much the title...My gamer girl and I love experiences RPGs together even if we just takes turns playing but we discovered the greatness that is the Tales series (we've already played through Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia) and now were addicted to CO-OP RPGs and hoping more exist so I figured I ask at a few of my favorite forums.

So yeah we literally JUST finished Vesperia so were looking for another one, now we really prefer a standard RPG as opposed to something like Diablo but feel free to suggest anything also We'd prefer games on NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Wii or Gamecube since I own all those systems but if there's an awesome enough game I might hunt down the relevant system (including PS3 since PS4s release will likely lower its price).

So far I'm looking into Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Diablo 3 (Xbox360), Borderlands 2 (she might not like this one), and hopefully I can find the other tales games (would appreciate a list actually)but I'm sure theres WAY more than that so please lay your suggestions on me...vague, obscure, limited release I don't care as long as you think it would be fun.

So yeah go nuts suggest away :banana:

Secret of Mana is a fun game to play in co-op. There's also legend of Mana but unfortunately, the second player can't customize their character. I still love the tone of the game. It's also one of the most beautiful games on the system.

On PS3, there exclusives are: Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia and the upcoming games Tales of Symphonia Collection and Tales of Xillia 2. There's also Dragon's Crown.

You can also play some of the Final Fantasy games in 2 player co-op. FFVI and IX are my favorites of the bunch.

Titan Quest and later on, Grim Dawn.

There are a bunch of sidescrolling brawlers. Not rpgs per se, but they still have an exp system and skill progression.

There's Sacred 2.

Fable 2 and 3, even if I've only played Fable 2 and thought the co-op was flawed.

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Path of the Exile, although a hack'n'slash is pretty darn good with a buddy. It's not too fast and it's not so slow that the faster player has to wait. RPG wise, the story can be good if you spend time on it, but you don't really.

this. Path of Exile is the best Diablo game since Diablo II. if you like hack'n'slash you'll love it.

Any chance you know the names of those other games you mentioned

no, unfortunately. but check this list out, see if your eye catches anything:

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/6/playstation-2.html

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Deathspank

The Baconing

Played them all..several times...probably will play several more times...really wish tere was a co-op option for thgat it would be SO MUCH fun.

Anyways I don't know why but those games remined of thast super hero cartoon show "The Tick"

There is.

The only problem is that player 2 does not get to level up, but has to play a predefined character such as Steve the bard. "STEEEEEEVE!"

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Which reminds me that I quite liked the co-op fantasy title that InXile put out at around the same time - Hunted: The Demon's Forge (360/PS3)

This is the game I'd recommend as well.

It got rather mixed reviews, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like a really fun game. Cool fantasy story and nice co-op gameplay. (Didn't get a chance to play it yet, though. I have one friend with whom I play co-op games, and he wasn't interested.)

But then I don't have very high standards when it comes to co-op games, I just wish there were more of them outside the shooter genre. I really liked Castle Crushers as well, for example.

Thinking about Snowblind (who did Champions of Norrath) also did Lord of the Rings: War in the North (360 - but multiplatform).  Which I didn't like as much as the Norrath games, but I did think was kind of fun and played a couple of times.

LOTR: WITN is a wicked awesome game but I'm actually already playing it wiht my brother over steam so I don't want to double up

Final Fantasy 6 (3 US) can be played co-op, btw (but not the GBA version). Cheapest way to play it would be on the Wii VC. FF9 (PS1) as well, which should be dirtcheap nowadays. Bear in mind that the  two FF games are 'turn-based'-ish (active time battle, officially). You have 4 characters on screens whose action bar goes up in real-time. 

I owned those games for like ten years and this is the first time I've ever heard of them being co-op. The sad thing is, now I've looked it up, it turns out it's true. Menus eh, who ever reads those things? 

Yeah I can't believe I missed it either, apprently you can do it in Earthbound as well.

this. Path of Exile is the best Diablo game since Diablo II. if you like hack'n'slash you'll love it.

I tried PoE a few months ago it didnt feel right

Deathspank

The Baconing

There is.

The only problem is that player 2 does not get to level up, but has to play a predefined character such as Steve the bard. "STEEEEEEVE!"

Yeah I looked into it earlier it was too late to edit my post though but without the ability to level up/equip the second player its no fun (same issue the fable series has w/ co-op)

if we're talking pure co-op, the Scott Pilgrim game on XBLA is simply amazing (the one with Paul Robertson's animation)

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

There's also the Payday games, they look pretty awesome..

I can recommend Guns of Icarus online, it's sort of a squad based vehicle deathmatch for 4x4 players (2 teams against each other). Everyone flies around in giant steampunk airballons and shoot at each other.

mmo-games-guns-of-icarus-online-airship-

Fortune favors the bald.

There's also the Payday games, they look pretty awesome..

they're kind of fun, but get repetitive very fast. I only played Payday 2's beta, so can't comment much. but Payday 1 gets boring soon enough. YMMV of course. it's just that there isn't much variety to the missions, and there are few of those to boot.

Walsingham said: