When will the title drop 'project'?

I was just rewatching the video on the front page and noticed all the effort put into that logo with 'project' written on it, and thought it looked a bit goofy as it doesn't really sound like a proper title for a fantasy RPG. Just wondered when we're going to get the final title for the game? Eternity would seem appropriate!

My guess is until the backer site is up and running.

We do have one tentative title though, it's Pillars of Eternity.

still PE though. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Power over Ethernet for a network engineer like myself. 

I don't care that much what the final title is. Pillars of Eternity is kind of a tongue twister of a name, though. Understandable if they don't want to lose the familiarity from the Kickstarter, but honestly I don't think this game has much mental real estate in gaming consciousness yet. I'd say whenever they show off the gameplay demo, that's their chance to rebrand the game and catch some attention, like how Double Fine did with the Broken Age reveal. There's no reason it needs to be [something] Eternity, or have the initials P and E. 

• Like 2

Pillars of Eternity could be the name of the backers portal only, like "Ranger Center" for Wasteland 2.

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Pillars of Eternity could be the name of the backers portal only, like "Ranger Center" for Wasteland 2.

A good guess, but the screenshots indicate otherwise.

pe-pledge-reward-2000x551.jpg

"If you haven't backed Pillars of Eternity yet..."

"Pillars of Eternity (Digital Download)..."

Granted, the screenshots also say "Project Eternity" a whole bunch. Go fighting placeholders!

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 1
jcod0.png

A good guess, but the screenshots indicate otherwise.

"If you haven't backed Pillars of Eternity yet..."

"Pillars of Eternity (Digital Download)..."

Granted, the screenshots also say "Project Eternity" a whole bunch. Go fighting placeholders!

Ah, thanks for that. Looks like Pillars of Eternity, indeed.

I think it was a smart idea to leak the name of the game a few weeks beforehand to let people get used to the idea. It minimizes the amount of people going WTF PILLARS OF ETERNITY IS A **** NAME when the big update that announces the name comes.

Pantsless Eternity.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think it was a smart idea to leak the name of the game a few weeks beforehand to let people get used to the idea. It minimizes the amount of people going WTF PILLARS OF ETERNITY IS A **** NAME when the big update that announces the name comes.

Yet I think there still will be a lot of people out there totally surprised. Check out some gaming websites that never ever used the word "Pillars" in any of their news, even as a speculation. Here it was a major discussion, but somehow there still are unaware fans yonder. Not everyone is reading this here fine forums, or updates for that matter. Pity.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I've come to find that the majority of gaming news sites are pretty ignorant. Look at the incredibly poor coverage of Josh Sawyer's GDC talk lol. There was a german article, a very brief US article and a couple of tweets. Very slack.

Then there's the Wasteland 2 thingo that the RPG Codex went to. Brian Fargo did a demo in France or something showing off Wasteland 2, the only people that asked questions about the game were the RPG Codex guys, and they're not even journalists (as they're unpaid).

Edited by Sensuki

Sensuki, that is exactly what I'm talking about: just recently one of such unreliable websites dropped the "3" out of the Dragon Age: Inquisition news; regardless to say that the devs stated long time ago this isn't the part three of the game. It's like calling Fallout: New Vegas as Fallout 4 ffs.

But that's a different story - point is, people will be amazed with Pillars of Eternity either way.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I've come to find that the majority of gaming news sites are pretty ignorant. Look at the incredibly poor coverage of Josh Sawyer's GDC talk lol. There was a german article, a very brief US article and a couple of tweets. Very slack.

Then there's the Wasteland 2 thingo that the RPG Codex went to. Brian Fargo did a demo in France or something showing off Wasteland 2, the only people that asked questions about the game were the RPG Codex guys, and they're not even journalists (as they're unpaid).

To be fair, not all gaming journalists get paid *raises hand*, even in France. 

The small sites are not covering Eternity because they have scarce resources and they are better spent at AAA titles because those are the games which get you the clicks, which get you the advertising revenue you need to keep the site up and running. But then again, they can't grow because their target audience is better served via bigger sites which also have the resources to write more than just a few small daily news. 

The big sites don't cover Eternity, because they probably don't have an audience for it, as the AAA crowd usually doesn't care about Kickstarter games. I still meet gamers who have never heard of Kickstarter.

It's a vicious cycle, really. 

Elan_song.gif

To be fair, not all gaming journalists get paid *raises hand*, even in France. 

The small sites are not covering Eternity because they have scarce resources and they are better spent at AAA titles because those are the games which get you the clicks, which get you the advertising revenue you need to keep the site up and running. But then again, they can't grow because their target audience is better served via bigger sites which also have the resources to write more than just a few small daily news. 

The big sites don't cover Eternity, because they probably don't have an audience for it, as the AAA crowd usually doesn't care about Kickstarter games. I still meet gamers who have never heard of Kickstarter.

It's a vicious cycle, really.

Now now, don't get all defensive - I read the codex discussion about your disposition.

You have to agree that #1: Coverage of Josh Sawyer's presentation was poor and #2 (actually you might not have been around for this) the coverage of the Wasteland 2 Gamescom thing was also pretty shallow. Have you read this ?

Thanks for the link, Sensuki!

The article certainly reveals how game journalists receive ready-to-write packages to take home, but one thing was naïve in the article, that other journalism hasn't degraded to this. I'm afraid it has so, and it's been like this for ages, even before the internet (although just for a few years then).

The news you see on TV? Most of it is stuff they've just picked up from news agencies. Medical journalism? Don't even go there. The list goes on and on.

Nonetheless, it's a sad state of affairs, and one that will not change in a heartbeat.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***