The finer features of Project Eternity

Purely in the interests of parity and fostering a positive attitude we grumpy old curmudgeons may sometimes be a little short of, I suggest a thread outlining ones hopes and dreams for Pillars of Eternity: What features are you particularly enthused over? What drew your eye to the Kickstarter?

I suggest this as a sister thread to Sophos' critically thinking thread, not out of any malice (indeed who could do anything but admire such a befeathered and striking Landsknecht?) But out of an honest desire for blatant positivity and juvenile enthusiasm, partaking in the Christmas and Thanksgiving spirit, where we cast our minds onto happier shores while the skies grow dark and the light abandons us.

Personally i'm enormously happy to see the level of detail Mr Sawyer is intent on bringing to the project, the fine artwork revealed so far, and of course the chance for Obsidian to give us our latest fix of choice, consequence and interaction with the fantastic.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 7

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well currently I think the Environment Art is clearly winning.

The shown portraits have also been very good.

Stronghold design is also very incline.

I'm sure we'll have a lot of 'stuff' to talk about in just over a week's time.

Edited by Sensuki

Playing PE, I'd love to find:

-A character creation smorgasbord that blows my sock off

-A game world catering to exploration and multitudes of ways of solving and dealing with encounters and mysteries

-Great story, wonderful dialogue, and most of all, that rife/right RPG atmosphere that sorely have been missing for so long

-Replayability just because the game is so darn good

-Character choices at level up that no only means technical development of the character, but actually gets to be woven into the story as well

And this is just for starters! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I like the Cipher concept, as I always thought the Soulknife was pretty cool.

Environment art and portraits look nice.

I like that there are defenses instead of saves.

Avellone's writing has rarely disappointed.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Most of the things was said. Story, characters, setting, developers, screenshots, art... you name it. PE will kick ass.

I'm sure we'll have a lot of 'stuff' to talk about in just over a week's time.

I'll drink to that.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

- the portraits revealed recently look awesome

- objective XP!

- dispositions!

- they seem intent on making every skill useful (and for every class, to boot)

- classes seem to have distinct niches, so paladins aren't "slightly worse fighters who can heal and turn undead" etc etc. The lack of classes with limited combat utility is also a plus (especially in a game which totes itself as "fairly combat-oriented").

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

aluminumtrioxid: Off topic, but before I forget - I must congratulate you on the most awesome avatar name and pic you could get, basically. That series is a highlight in my life of film- and TV-consumption. Bryan Cranston alone is eerily brilliant in that role.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Purely in the interests of parity and fostering a positive attitude we grumpy old curmudgeons may sometimes be a little short of, I suggest a thread outlining ones hopes and dreams for Pillars of Eternity: What features are you particularly enthused over? What drew your eye to the Kickstarter?

I suppose its the premise and the wink to old school RPGs. To be honest, I am not familiar with much of the finer features of the game, since I try to steer away from anything that might spoil my first play through, though everything I did see todate keeps me in good spirits.

I pretty much like everything I'm hearing so far. But if I had to list some highlights off the top of my head:

- I'm very excited about the Cipher and Chanter classes.

- The reputation system sounds excellent with just the right blend of flavour stuff and real consequences.

- Crafting! It sounds great and I'm very much looking forward to it.

- All the art is great. I especially love the character portraits so far, I think those might be the best ones I've ever seen in an RPG (best ones meaning "most to my liking").

- I LOVE the world and the fact that it's more modern than your typical fantasy RPG but also classical enough to not be steampunk or anything like that (which I adore, but that's what Arcanum 2 will be for, hopefully, one day ^^). The races and various ethnicities, the soul theme... sounds like some really great lore that can rival any established franchise.

- Combat sounds extremely exciting, fair and balanced. Everytime I read one of Sawyer's posts that go into this, I get excited. He clearly loves to create these systems and I feel the game is in very good hands there.

- I think objective XP is a huge, important change to other classical RPGs that will make the game more satisfying for me personally. I hate having to run after an enemy that's fleeing just because I need the XP.

• Like 1

One of the biggest pulls is a setting that's actually thought through, and not regurgitated Generic "Medieval" Fantasy. I also like the inclusion of firearms, as their arbitrary exclusion from the fantasy milieu has always irked me.

But in general, everything. That it's a game from Obsidian would be enough for me to back it.

Oh, so this thread isn't about wine, cheese, and caviar, I see? Hmmph.

If it's metaphorical wine, cheese, and caviar, then absolutely. :)

sharp cheese

+10% chance to cause bleeding. Plus... NO one suspects weaponized cheese! 8)

Okay okay, serious face:

Honestly? I'd have to say my favorite thing about the game so far is the approach they're taking in its development. I think it's the reason all the little facets of the game are going to be so amazing. And major props go to the crowdfunding, and the absolute freedom for them to take this on as almost a professional artwork, instead of merely a product for revenue.

So, best thing? The engine. Not the technical, software engine. But the people engine. The greatest feature is the source of all the features. :)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm looking forward to toggable game features, I'm a fan of objective XP, Chris Avellone's writing is what brought me to this project in the first place, I'm looking forward to having Forton in my party, I love this community, I love that you can add your own portraits, and I love most of the promises made, though seeing is believing.

I'm probably going to add a lot to the list when the big update hits next week.

Edit: ooh, I loved the dynamic lighting in that one demo-video.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.