So when's Obsidian going top sue Activision for mullions of dollars?

sorophx

to* sue, of course. typo in the title  :facepalm:

5444531.jpg

we all know who that is. I'm not sure Obsidian owns the rights to Darth Nihilus's image, though. 

is it even feasible to get any money from Activision for such a blatant theft of intellectual property?

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

well, I mean the split in the middle going through the nose cavity. that's pretty recognizable and has become an iconic Star Wars image, no?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

well, I guess you're right. it's hard to come up with a stylized image of a skull that looks unique. I'm just curious if the artist/designer had known about Nihilus before he came up with his concept, or if it's just a  coincidence. and if it could be made into a court case 

Walsingham said:

If it was possible to copyright a human skull, then Amazon would have done so already.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Not by Obsidian anyways, all that stuff belongs to Lucas Arts, or whichever entity got the rights after it was closed.

Pretty much this. Disney could put Mickey Mouse in Darth Nihilus' mask if they felt like it.

If it was possible to copyright a human skull, then Amazon would have done so already.

It's not like the medico industry isn't trying to patent human genes and DNA already. I'm waiting for the day they're going to send me a cease and desist note, stop infringing on their patent by existing. But that's a discussion for another thread ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Someone's upset about one click.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You can't copyright a design, as far as I know.

You can trademark one, but I'd think you'd have a hard time winning an argument that the CoD:G imagine is infringing on Darth Nihlus' "trademarked image" without it being on a mask of a character.  As an apparently spray-painted design on a wall alone, I don't see it being easily argued that there is confusion of brands - intentionally or unintentionally.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Someone's upset about one click.

Well it is pretty ridiculous. It's a bit like cyber squatting really in so much as it doesn't require effort  as much as simply getting to the patent office  first. The EU laughed in Amazon's faces though. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

• 5 weeks later...

Not by Obsidian anyways, all that stuff belongs to Lucas Arts, or whichever entity got the rights after it was closed.

Pretty much this. Disney could put Mickey Mouse in Darth Nihilus' mask if they felt like it.

It's not like the medico industry isn't trying to patent human genes and DNA already. I'm waiting for the day they're going to send me a cease and desist note, stop infringing on their patent by existing. But that's a discussion for another thread ;)

You're just mad because your avatar infringes on their copyright.