The general fitness thread

Woldan

The offtopic section here was sorely missing a fitness-thread so I made one. Ta-da! Here it is!

This is meant to be a place to talk about cardio exercises, strength training, weight lifting and other fitness-related things -> a place where we can post our training schedules, talk about our bicycles or weight lifting equipment, give each other exercise tips, solve fitness-related and motivational problems etc.....

Newbies and couch potatoes who want to turn their lives around and get in shape are welcome!

I know a thing or two about weight lifting and (road) cycling, so if you have any questions about these topics you can always ask me. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I don't lift or run any more. I used all through my military service (obviously) and after. I got away from it and now that I have extra hardware in my legs I really can't. But I am vary active and spend almost all of my free time doing outdoors stuff like hunting, fishing, farming (sort of) and, like this weekend, cutting and moving trees. I think I'm in pretty good shape for my age. I don't eat junk food and I don't drink like I used to.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Whats stopping you from performing exercises that do not involve your legs? True, for most compound exercises you need your legs somewhere but with a good bench you can stick to upper body exercises and arm isos. Or are you simply not interested in strength exercises anymore? What made you stop?

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to Woldan hitting his 30's.  :p

I've been running a lot lately, 4-5 days a week if I can.  Usually just a mile or two, and then I do push ups and sit ups.  When I get away on my own, or go directly after work, I can knock it out in about 30 minutes.  But about half the time I end up taking my son with me and he runs for a bit as well.  It's pretty comical.  Today we wandered over to the football field and knocked over those tackling dummy things for a bit.  

Since I started doing this, I'm feeling better at my weekly hockey games, so that's nice.  I'm still not as fast as I was a few years ago, but every little bit helps.  

• Like 1

I've been trying to jog about 5 miles a day. Going to up the reps and lower the weight of free weight exercises until March.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Whats stopping you from performing exercises that do not involve your legs? True, for most compound exercises you need your legs somewhere but with a good bench you can stick to upper body exercises and arm isos. Or are you simply not interested in strength exercises anymore? What made you stop?

I guess I got away from it for two reasons. First it's just a habit. When you are doing it you want to continue doing it. When you're not doing it, it gets difficult to get back into. When I was lifting regularly I was spending 10-14 hours a day either sitting in a cubicle or commuting back and forth to work. So I really needed it as exercise & stress relief. Now that I'm self employed so to speak I can spend more time doing work outside the house and I don't miss out on the exercise. Plus when I was going to an office everyday the gym was right there and convenient. The nearest gym to me now is a hell of a long drive. So instead of weights I lift firewood, repair fences, carry fertilizer/feed/seed bags and instead of running I push a lawn mower & weed whacker.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A manly man you are.

Wait, IRCC you live in FL, where the hell do you chop firewood?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This year I started actively going back to gym. I go 4-6 times a week and do 1 hour of cardio a day. This is broken into 20 minutes of cycling, rowing and running. I have lost 5 kg's since the beginning of the year and I'm feeling very fit. I don't plan on ever stopping going back to gym for the rest of my life :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A manly man you are.

Wait, IRCC you live in FL, where the hell do you chop firewood?

I used to. I lived in Margate in Broward country & Loxahatchee in Palm Beach for 18 years between them. I moved up here to west Tennessee a few years ago.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

You're takiing a rather narrow view, Woldan. GD's exercise is just as good as organised PT for keeping a body hale and hearty.

Indeed, if there was a single mistake I made in my own military training it was doing PT, but not keeping otherwise active. I feel healthier now than I did back then, and that;s from just doing 40 minutes walk a day, and about 4x6 hour shifts on my feet, with a sense of urgency.

Of course it's hard to say what's down to the xercise, and what's down to being free from cancer-related grimness. :)

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You're takiing a rather narrow view, Woldan. GD's exercise is just as good as organised PT for keeping a body hale and hearty.

Huh? Wals, where did I say or imply that having a physically active lifestyle is not enough to stay healthy? I just asked GD why he stopped lifting and that its possible to do it without overstraining his legs. 

About the gym being too far away, the nearest gym would be an hours drive away and I simply can't spend two hours driving / day every day. I just don't have enough motivation and determination for that. So I bought barbells, dumbbells, weights and a good bench, thats all I need. Screw gyms. 

weights_zps35171204.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Might cycling be an option for you? I've never excelled at running but its a completely different story with cycling. Its also better for the joints (if you run on paved roads). 

• Like 1

Oby, stop violating the rules or I'll report you. This thread is not meant to be a replacement for the ''hopefully attractive women'' thread that got locked thanks to your pathetic trolling.

Its about talking about OUR fitness stuff here.

Accept this or LEAVE and make your own thread.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 4

Woldan, we should raze Russia in retaliation for Oby getting that thread locked.

I'm going to do cardio today, with a bit of abs.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The problem with switching to bikes is mostly location for me. I'm near the middle of the city and their isn't much in the way of places to ride that I don't have to drive a ways to get to. That doesn't stop a lot of people who seem to like to ride in the middle of the street and on sidewalks but I can't say that appeals to me

I workout 3 to 5 times a week depending on my work schedule 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Oby, stop violating the rules or I'll report you. This thread is not meant to be a replacement for the ''hopefully attractive women'' thread that got locked thanks to your pathetic trolling.

Its about talking about OUR fitness stuff here.

Accept this or LEAVE and make your own thread.

If you actually watch the video, you can maybe see some workout tips. How is he trolling? Then, I could also say you are trolling for having a bad taste and posting ugly manly women in ''hopefully attractive women'' thread. Boring thread anyways XD

• Like 1

You made a second account just to harass people in boring threads? Dude, you better take your pills and get yourself a life.  :grin:

The problem with switching to bikes is mostly location for me. I'm near the middle of the city and their isn't much in the way of places to ride that I don't have to drive a ways to get to. That doesn't stop a lot of people who seem to like to ride in the middle of the street and on sidewalks but I can't say that appeals to me

Thats something you have to get used to, if you ride your bike in heavy traffic you can be as fast as the cars and go with the flow of the traffic, no cars pass you and you can act like a motorized vehicle. IMO its way more uncomfortable to ride your bike on express ways with cars and trucks passing you with 90 kmh only a meter away, I've done that for years and I'll never get used to it.

Edited by Woldan

Its my first acc  :dancing: :dancing: and looking forward to PE  :banana:  :grin: I was just telling the truth, not trying to harass you :(  ;(

But....we are gamers, we aren't supposed to have a life  :disguise:

You'll find out about the troll soon enough. Sorry you got a rough welcome. It's the troll's fault, really.

That's why the troll should be stopped. *hint hint*

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.