RAnDoM VidEO GAmE NeWS

LadyCrimson

The latest incarnation of all gaming news, all the time! :)

Previous thread

Last page of previous thread

I buy video games, then I launch video games, and then I drop video games after 1-4h hours. Dropped Max Payne 3 yesterday, going to drop Eschalon - Book 1 and 2 today, then I'll cruise through the forums to find a new title to drop.

I've occasionally felt that way over the past couple years. Not that I ever bought many games per year to begin with, but Steam has made it easier to impulse buy several "maybes" at a time, on sale. I think I've cured myself of that one now, tho. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Now I'm confused. What Ars said about AC IV: 

what should have been a rollicking thunderstorm of open-seas adventure will probably make players seasick with disappointment.

What IGN said:

exploring gorgeous and unique islands, and getting yourself into all sorts of swashbuckling trouble provide some of the most rewarding and memorable stretches of gameplay I’ve experienced all year. 

I'm not highlighting journos for argument's sake, it's just I've never played one second of an Assassin's Creed game, but I want a fun day one title on PS4. Rumor is Target is having a Buy Two, Get One Free deal on next-gen games during launch week ... if so, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Killzone Shadowfall, and perhaps Black Flag.

Ars made it sound like, if you've played AC games before, Black Flag is kinda bland and samey, with terrible AI. IGN made it sound like a big-ass oceanic sandbox game, that improved a lot over previous editions.  

All Stop. On Screen.

When I clicked in on the thread, I felt that something was wrong, not quite right... and then it hit me.

Random Video Game News.

Not RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS.

;(

I'm not highlighting journos for argument's sake, it's just I've never played one second of an Assassin's Creed game, but I want a fun day one title on PS4. Rumor is Target is having a Buy Two, Get One Free deal on next-gen games during launch week ... if so, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Killzone Shadowfall, and perhaps Black Flag.

Ars made it sound like, if you've played AC games before, Black Flag is kinda bland and samey, with terrible AI. IGN made it sound like a big-ass oceanic sandbox game, that improved a lot over previous editions.  

Wich page has the most ads for the game? ;D

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

exploring gorgeous and unique islands, and getting yourself into all sorts of swashbuckling trouble provide some of the most rewarding and memorable stretches of gameplay I’ve experienced all year. 

The big critique of the AC series is that every single episode plays just like the last one but with nicer graphics and a few more game mechanics. In Brotherhood for example they introduced a guild system and made a big deal about it in the promotional stuff, you could hire up to 8 (I think) assassin recruits and name them, colour their outfits, level them and send them on assassination missions through a system a bit like follower missions in TOR and FF: Tactics for XP and money. They had different weapons, could level up, be given better equipment ect.  The system was big enough that you could spend weeks doing that, the thing is it's entirely optional and doesn't have any impact on the main story or side quests whatsoever, and the only way to use the recruits in the game proper were as limited call-in reinforcements. Perhaps that's what Ars meant about Black Flag and it's naval stuff?

If you've not played any AC games before then you'll probably get your money's worth. Most people really enjoy AC's gameplay the first time around.

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 2

When I clicked in on the thread, I felt that something was wrong, not quite right... and then it hit me.

Random Video Game News.

;(

yeah, somewhat disturbing  :no:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Random Video Game News.

;(

Any better now? :-

*Twilight Zone music* 

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Random Video Game News.

;(

*Twilight Zone music* 

Oh dear lord, you've turned it into crappy MMO character name format.  Well, at least it's not xXRaNdOm ViDeO gAmE nEwSXx, that would have been the absolute worst.

:lol:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

*Twilight Zone music* 

random indeed  :cat:

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

*Twilight Zone music* 

funny-scared-cat-face.jpg

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Personally I much prefer the "Random Video Game News" version (and was pleasantly surprised to see the change), the all caps is a bit annoying. I'd drop the "Random" from it as well, don't think it's particularly needed.

But that's just me.

R4nd0m Vidya Gymes pl0x.

South Park being delayed doesn't hurt me a lot, as I am not *that* hard waiting for it. Besides, more time can never hurt.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

All caps, or nothing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

About the South Park delay... I just hope it's not a sign that Obsidian doesn't manage its time very well.

Considering that they have published games with unreasonable deadlines I don't think time management is their problem.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

About the South Park delay... I just hope it's not a sign that Obsidian doesn't manage its time very well.

Considering that they have published games with unreasonable deadlines I don't think time management is their problem.

I don't know the details, but what I know is:

- they've had problems with publishers' deadlines before (i didn't exactly hear out both sides on this)

- they're delaying yet another game

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I don't know the details, but what I know is:

- they've had problems with publishers' deadlines before (i didn't exactly hear out both sides on this)

- they're delaying yet another game

Obsidian is never delaying a game. That's the publisher responsibility and in Obsidian's case actual big delay didn't happen that often. Rather cut short or a very tight deadline in the first place.

And its a lot more complicated from there (Which is why arguing with no info isn't the wisest idea)

If you want to learn more about Obsidians history you might want to scour some interviews/articles. Knights of New Vegas on Kotaku is a good starting point.

Edited by C2B

or matt and trey wanting to add more and more animations to the game to make it really feel like you are playing an episode of the show instead of a game inspired by the show

also, the game has, in essence, been delayed one year.  that's not even close to DNF or daikatana levels of delay

if we hit a 3 year delay, then i say we're in for some trouble

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Now I'm confused. What Ars said about AC IV: 

what should have been a rollicking thunderstorm of open-seas adventure will probably make players seasick with disappointment.

What IGN said:

I found the best reviews most of the time on arstechnica, for one reason, it is not gaming dedicated website and they do not need to live out of game comercials... although I still think they do prefer one company in particular which should not be named (after Ben Kuchera left for PA, my observation is that they dropped that behaviour little bit, but not completely), but their view of the gaming business is in my eyes one of the most objective I have seen on a webpage, which reviews games.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours