Game officially delayed to March 4, 2014

I just hope that when it does finally come out it's not as poorly written as the show.

The show was good, but it just kept getting more and more less funny and more about making a statement of some kind.

Personally, I think the game will come out mid or late 2014.

It could be the worst SP episode ever written and it'd still be better than 99% of other games' story/characters. Not to say that SP is that good but that most games are that bad in the story/character department. 

I feel as though it keeps getting better over time. I haven't had TV, or the internet at my home in a couple of years, so I've missed the last couple of seasons, but age has been kinder to SP than many other shows IMO.

Apparently I really have to watch Cash 4 Gold.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I haven't watched SP in years but in using all the source material from the show, plus voice acting(no matter how annoying) and the writing it just easily has more character to it than most other games. I'm glad Obsidian has gotten the opportunity to make it and I'm much more looking forward to it than the isometric fantasy, PE, which is just so played out and doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. 

• 1 month later...

<rant>

VERY Disappointing and the comment about the challenge to bring the game up to the "crappy standards of the show" attributed to Matt & Trey makes this seem like a very hostile situation against Obsidian. If they meant that they were micro-managing the script and storyline - and working from a stress monster perspective - as it has been shown they do for the weekly episodes of South Park - then I guess I can understand why we're now delayed a year from the games initial launch.

For those looking for the context of my assumptions above - check out 6 Days to Air: The Making of South Park (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076781/)

I can't imagine the stress and annoyance it has to be to work with that creative team - they are not planners - look at Team America and the impact filming that had on the production crew because of constant changes and rewrites prior to release.. Stick of Truth seems to be a victim of Matt & Trey's "brilliance and vision" when half the time they are making things up two days prior to the weekly airdate. 

You can't do that in software development guys.. it does not work, the production pipeline is just too damned long and there are too many moving pieces. I bet it would almost be easier to have this game engine released with the art, systems and assets and then have the SP studio folks release episodic scenarios on a monthly basis or something.. sell a South Park: The Series Games Based on the Series Season Pass.. but if The Stick of Truth has a story already (Which I believe was developed by Obsidian and polished by South Park Studios writing staff) - well put it out there. You've shown you don't really care about the quality of the product in your past releases anyway, even in an unfinished state from all we've seen and heard - Stick of Truth far surpasses any of the last five South Park media cash ins.

</rant>

Actually you can make a game with this style of creativity.  Is it very challenging in the game development world?  Yes.  It is true that in the scope of a video game it is harder to make changes, but not impossible.  It just takes more time to change things up in an RPG than in the show.

The great thing is that the creativity used to create South Park is shown brilliantly in the Stick of Truth.  It will be very worth it in the end once everyone gets their hands on it and gets to play the show.  Matt and Trey are brilliant individuals who have poured their heart and souls into this game just as much as everyone here at Obsidian.  Fans of Obsidian and South Park will be pleased to say the least.

March 4th is not that far away :)

• Like 3

If they keep delaying it the folks that have been waiting for it will be to old to find the humor of Matt and trey funny anymore.

I used to love the show and then got older and started to see the patterns in the humor, it stops being funny when you know what they're going to say or do.

Oh, another butt joke/hippie joke, or maybe more wisdom from a grade school kid. Meh ... When or if it comes out, I'll consider it's appeal then.

Help is good when asked for,

Better when needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Part of me feels this delay is more of a release strategy. 

Probably seen as a better release window for the game. Although I would expect some little tweaks long the way.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you can make a game with this style of creativity.  Is it very challenging in the game development world?  Yes.  It is true that in the scope of a video game it is harder to make changes, but not impossible.  It just takes more time to change things up in an RPG than in the show.

The great thing is that the creativity used to create South Park is shown brilliantly in the Stick of Truth.  It will be very worth it in the end once everyone gets their hands on it and gets to play the show.  Matt and Trey are brilliant individuals who have poured their heart and souls into this game just as much as everyone here at Obsidian.  Fans of Obsidian and South Park will be pleased to say the least.

March 4th is not that far away :)

What is this internet rumor about now a March 7th global release date?? and is it this year??

I'm just delighted it's actually getting released and to think that Matt and Trey have had such involvement from an early stage really excites me.

The fact that their haphazard style of writing/creating doesn't translate all that well into game making isn't their fault as such, its a shame for THQ but that's business at the end of the day and all involved should've known what they were getting into lol.

I haven't followed these forums at all until now and I don't know how much has been revealed so feel free to shoot me down but I wonder if they have added in a few different endings, In a game like this where the narrative plays a strong part the ending couldn't simply be a (sum of all decisions = x ending scenario) perhaps they have branched the narrative to some degree?

As I said I don't know the reasons but in regards to the Ubisoft delays for the sake of marketing I really don't see a massive overlap in target audiences for Assassins Creed and a South Park RPG, keeping in mind that this game will be utterly unlike anything we have ever played (I hope) :D

I just hope that when it does finally come out it's not as poorly written as the show.

What?

Not everyone likes the show. They will be disappointed by TSoT in that case. Matt and Trey are working on this, it'll be like the show.

I found the show to be funny even if I stopped following it many years a go. I do watch the occasional episode here and there.

I think that if you don't like the show, you might want to look elsewhere, but who knows?

Somewhere along the way the show stopped being funny and started trying to preach some kind of lesson each episode.

Come on, we're inundated with how society expects us to believe and think enough already, a cartoon should stick to being funny.

Better when needed.

Somewhere along the way the show stopped being funny and started trying to preach some kind of lesson each episode.

Come on, we're inundated with how society expects us to believe and think enough already, a cartoon should stick to being funny.

South Park has always been a piece of social commentary.  Like since episode one.  Everything Trey Parker and Matt Stone has some sort of lesson underneath the humor.  

Is the retail PC version of the game, Steamworks? I would like to pre-order from Amazon UK and play it on Steam platform.

Looks like it.

Well, I know the game has a store page but I'm asking the question because one time I bought the Witcher 2 retail version with the intent to add to my steam library, and I couldn't register my cd-key on the Steam client, even though the game is on Steam and there are retail versions (russian I believe) that allow for Steam registration. Hence, my initial question.

Is the retail PC version of the game, Steamworks? I would like to pre-order from Amazon UK and play it on Steam platform.

Looks like it.

Please tell me there will be a Uplay-only version. Why would Ubi delay it for so long, and not implement it in favor of the one with the broken offline mode? Otherwise, Xbox it is.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Like? Heh heh

Either way, I don't need or want any "life" lessons from their cartoon.

Then it seems odd that you would have any interest in a game made by them.

I don't have an interest in a game made by them.

I have a vested interest in a game made by Obsidian and I intend to support them in their endeavors.

Better when needed.

Okay.

Regardless of South Park:

What kind of television do you watch?

What kind of games do you play?

What kind of books do you read?

What kind of music do you listen to?

And back to cartoons: every cartoon in existence has a message.