Pillars of Eternity - Project Eternity's final name?

To add that I really like the word pillar. It's somehow really a beautiful word, soundwise and letterwise. :)

Shame this title sounds a little bit weird in Polish though  :huh:

Oh well, whatever.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

On my monitor an update tapping, something to wake me from my troubled napping.

And so I did hie to my study and lock the door.

Pillars of Eternity Mister Urquhart thundered, and in my mind on the new name I wondered.

It shall be called Poe, forevermore.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 11

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

pillars of eternity sounds like an awesome geographical feature.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Oh well, whatever.

(Sztywne) Pale Eternitu? :p

I believe that any translation will sound awkward until you get used to it. I get this a lot while working on my book and setting, nothing sounds natural until I get used to it.

On a more serious note, since there's little to go on, I'd wager construction-related words could be used in lieu of filar (if Filary Wieczności doesn't sound marketable enough). Kolumny, Podpory, Fundamenty, Stemple, Dźwigary etc. don't really sound more outrageous than Wrota Baldura or Okres Połowicznego Rozpadu Pierwiastków Radioaktywnych. :p

• Like 3

I believe that any translation will sound awkward until you get used to it. I get this a lot while working on my book and setting, nothing sounds natural until I get used to it.

On a more serious note, since there's little to go on, I'd wager construction-related words could be used in lieu of filar (if Filary Wieczności doesn't sound marketable enough). Kolumny, Podpory, Fundamenty, Stemple, Dźwigary etc. don't really sound more outrageous than Wrota Baldura or Okres Połowicznego Rozpadu Pierwiastków Radioaktywnych. :p

I concur. Same goes for Dolina Lodowego Wichru and Opad radioaktywny ;)

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;"

• Like 1

Pilaren der Eeuwigheid actually has a nice ring to it, but I'll be playing in English.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Oh well, whatever.

I think Filary Wiecznośći sounds fine, but Kolumny Wiecznośći sounds better.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

....for a second, I read it as "Pillows of Eternity" and I was all "wha?" :disguise: 

• Like 6
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I concur. Same goes for Dolina Lodowego Wichru and Opad radioaktywny ;)

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;"

The first always sounded damn cool to me, better than the original title. Hmm, maybe I have an obsession with the word wicher and related ones that sound so... hard and edgy.

Fallout doesn't translate as well, as you point. However, I warmed up to translating Half-Life as Rozpad. Holy crap, I really love words with z's, r's, and w's. Is that a symptom of something? D:

Swiss german: Süüle vo dä Ewigkeit

The sheer amount of umlauts makes that a cool looking title.

If you like umlauts we could also name it "Stützä vo dä Ewigkeit"

You should really come to Zurich. In Züri redät jedä so, ich findä das pärsönlich zum chotzä.

• Like 2

Elan_song.gif

Pilaren der Eeuwigheid actually has a nice ring to it, but I'll be playing in English.

Säulen der Ewigkeit for german.

Swiss german: Süüle vo dä Ewigkeit

you're right, zuilen der eeuwigheid, not pilaren der eeuwigheid.

well that sounds a lot lamer :p

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

---

It's been a while, and when I get back to these great forums for a peek, what do I see, yet another hilarious thread! :D

Well, Pillars of Eternity. it's a decent name, and for a special site in-game it's great.

But I somehow thinks it lends itself to Piles of Eternity, a dread for many avid gamers.

It also has a suicidal proxy name: Pills of Eternity.

And I think it would be bad if it gets the same abbreviation as Path of Exile. I'd love to save PE, but not as an acronym.

How about Phases of Eternity? That would be cryptic enough.

EDIT: Hang on, that contradicts my sticking to PE. Perhaps Phase Eternity, instead?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Perhaps the backers can be known as the "pillars of eternity", as we supported the project?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Perhaps the backers can be known as the "pillars of eternity", as we supported the project?

This might be true.

Though I remember the campaign referring to the backers as "Pillars of Eternity" and these are screenshots of the backer portal, so... It would be a nice touch nevertheless and a friendly nod towards us backers. To add that I really like the word pillar. It's somehow really a beautiful word, soundwise and letterwise. :)