Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #66: Double Whammy

Project Eternity Darren Monahan Hector Espinoza Stronghold Q&A Fulfillment Backer Portal

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

pe-pledge-reward-580x160.jpg
Backer Website: Pledge and Rewards Pages

Pillars of Eternity...? NOW WE KNOW. Nice!

Holy crap it is called Pillars of Eternity. I will now run outside and yell out to the freeway and my neighbors what has been leaked here.  :dancing:

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4144 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Aren't the backers referred to as the Pillars of Eternity? :>

Look at the first website screen.

Jajo

Jajo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The hedge maze and amphitheatre are both mechanical upgrades to the stronghold.  They can provide bonuses to characters who rest at the stronghold: Stealth for the hedge maze and Intellect for the amphitheatre.

Amphitheatres were the round ones with sits on all sides, theatres were the ones with half circular benches.

The first ones were used for family entertainment (lions, gladiators, etc.), while the second ones were used for more intellectual stuff (plays, stand-up philosophers, etc.).

Modern usage is inconsistent, but if it's meant to provide intellectual bonus, please name it as it should be named.

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
in b4 someone suggesting alternative names for the hedge maze

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Fantastic update and thank you very much for the early release of said update. Everything looks very fine, very fine indeed, however my one gripe would be on the cleared and restored stronghold: There is too much greenery present around the walls, I would want at least a few hundred yards of killing ground ideally. The peddlers and traders who seem to be gathering around the walls are to be expected and possibly encouraged, however I wonder what the situation is in regards to local townships and such?

Once again very much appreciated.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Amphitheatres were the round ones with sits on all sides, theatres were the ones with half circular benches.

The first ones were used for family entertainment (lions, gladiators, etc.), while the second ones were used for more intellectual stuff (plays, stand-up philosophers, etc.).

Modern usage is inconsistent, but if it's meant to provide intellectual bonus, please name it as it should be named.

It's not actually called "amphitheatre" in-game.

• Jajo likes this

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts
I would hope that the restored stronghold had multiple levels of restoration. I know portions are restorable, as in on and off when it comes to mechanics implemented portions, but I wonder if the entire structure itself has multiple levels of restoration? For example, the barrels that are on the walls continue to be there in the restored state. I would hope that as the stronghold becomes more and mor erestored, things become more and more organized. Maybe the barrels get moved and are stacked up differently. Just little tidbits that change gradually from a "zero to hundred" percent restored.

Of course, this depends on how much time you guys really want to spend on it. It looks beautiful nonetheless.

Also, assuming the garden is a mechanics upgrade as well?
  • ultimis and Lephys like this

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Anyone got the link for the backer site?

• kspn and helious like this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Awesome update! Looking great so far :-) man I'm actually nervous now with the backer site almost up, dammit I'm gonna get in trouble with the misses because I know ill be throwing more money down if she don't rein me in. Sigh.
Again fantastic update and looking really good so far.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Also, assuming the garden is a mechanics upgrade as well?

Yes.  Pretty much everything you see changing (on a large scale) causes a mechanical change of some sort.

• SunBroSolaire and Lephys like this

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3436 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer

Silly question perhaps. But regarding the before/after pictures of the Stronghold. Why did you cut down the trees next to the amphitheatre? Would it not make more sense to clear the trees outside the walls? Those would have given cover to enemies the walls are protecting from. The ones near the amphitheatre did not obstruct view of the stage. Instead they gave residents of the stronghold some welcome shade while sitting and watching the show.

Save the amphitheatre trees!

*hands out flyers*

• Gorth and ultimis like this

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is the games name now Pillars of Eternity or is it a placeholder?

Where did you find the term???

Edit: Found it. ;)

Edited by LordCrash, 29 October 2013 - 04:08 PM.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 3436 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is it called Bob?

It is, isn't it?

• exodiark and Jajo like this

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm thinking those vines on the wall will be helpful for sneaky thieves to climb :-

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 3436 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is the games name now Pillars of Eternity or is it a placeholder?

Where did you find the term???

Screenshots of the backer website.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Is it called Bob?

It is, isn't it?

That upgrade is actually called "Forum".

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

pillars of eternity is also a piece of music

http://www.last.fm/m...ars of Eternity

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 3436 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

At least I was close

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

in b4 someone suggesting alternative names for the hedge maze

Too late... I believe I already called it the ThunderMaze. Sorry, :(

8)

Phew. Crisis: AVERTED! 8)

Can I just say that I hope the stronghold will be even more ruined for release? I wanna build it up a LOT.

Of course, I guess this corner is hardly the entire thing, so there's that.

Yeah. It's hardly a catastrophe or anything, but I also imagined it being a bit more, ehh... lacking in function? I mean, that one house/structure in the middle of the screenshot is basically half-gone. But then, the walls, as far as I can tell, are in perfect condition, except for the dead vines and the couple of "whoa, watch your step" holes in them. I guess I was kind of thinking you'd get the stronghold in a "Well... we can't really feasibly post archers on those walls until we get them properly repaired" state. Possibly even "we have to post guards at the gaps in the walls until we can get them repaired; they're at least preventing anyone/thing from simply waltzing into our fair little community from about 80% of approaches, but we're not exactly warranting a siege at the moment...".

Of course, as you said, that's just a little piece of the stronghold there in the screenshot. And, if it stays like that, I'm already very happy with it. It just seems a little conveniently well-kept for a "ruined" stronghold, is all. Not the end of the world, and maybe the story supports it and there's a reason for it to not be ultra-ruined. Just more of a husk...

NOTE: If I'm not mistaken, the "Pillars of Eternity" you're seeing on that backer portal screenshot is referring to the figurative pillars that form the foundation for the project. Like, if the development team were Meatloaf, then producing a game that ignores any of the Pillars would be the one thing they wouldn't do for love. 8)

Edited by Lephys, 29 October 2013 - 04:16 PM.

• Jajo likes this

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If its a forum does that mean like a roman forum?

From wikipedia

"It was for centuries the center of Roman public life: the site of triumphal processions and elections; the venue for public speeches, criminal trials, and gladiatorial matches; and the nucleus of commercial affairs."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, Darren Monahan, Hector Espinoza, Stronghold, Q&A, Fulfillment, Backer Portal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)