Other then that... if i understand it correctly we will get stats by building things in the fortress i dont see... why our character should get a point in int for building something inside a castle.

Nay. Not a permanent stat point. A rest bonus. "Rest" as in, "We're here leisurely doing as we please." So, if your people spend some free time at the stronghold, and they have a hedge maze at their disposal, they can basically practice getting through a series of corridors and such without being spotted and whatnot. You know, like how Ninja Warrior participants often build those obstacle courses in their backyards to practice for the real thing. :)

So, you stay there, then, for the next however-many hours, you get an abstracted bonus to one of your capabilities and/or skills. Not "You built a thing... now you're really smart, always."

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I can't quite recall but did Mr Sawyer state that these bonuses persist until one rests again? If so this would be quite a nice method of incentivising a player to not rest spam, very nice design in my own humble opinion.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So, I've seen the term being used for some time now and I wonder if you guys could spend a moment to think about it...

Been discussed before

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64108-slacker-backer-needs-a-new-name/

And this statement from Update #66 gives me hope:

"Oh, and slacker backers… you might have some upgrade opportunities… :)"

Maybe an upgrade opportunity will allow us slackers to change our status from slacker backer!!

*Why is there no way for the defenders to get ontop of the towers? All the towers are missing the... Well the doors that lead ontop...I dont know the words for them.

Oh yeah - need a trapdoor to get up onto the tower rooves.

Quick Q: Those completed buildings in the stronghold - will they all have an interior? Some?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

To start with the left screenshot:

*The towers / walls are broken and missing bricks / planks yet there are no bricks / planks under the walls. - Also the stronghold is way to clean. Even if it was falling apart.

That really depends on the backstory. Why was the stronghold abandoned? Is it believed to be haunted, with the spirits of the dead killing anyone who spends the night? Then villagers who live nearby may have just enough courage to go there at noon and steal bricks and stones to use for building that new barn, but not enough to actually repair the buildings and live there.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

*Why is there no way for the defenders to get ontop of the towers? All the towers are missing the... Well the doors that lead ontop...I dont know the words for them.

Oh yeah - need a trapdoor to get up onto the tower rooves.

Quick Q: Those completed buildings in the stronghold - will they all have an interior? Some?

Ah yes thats the word! Thanks!

To start with the left screenshot:

*The towers / walls are broken and missing bricks / planks yet there are no bricks / planks under the walls. - Also the stronghold is way to clean. Even if it was falling apart.

That really depends on the backstory. Why was the stronghold abandoned? Is it believed to be haunted, with the spirits of the dead killing anyone who spends the night? Then villagers who live nearby may have just enough courage to go there at noon and steal bricks and stones to use for building that new barn, but not enough to actually repair the buildings and live there.

Hmm maybe... But its more likely that its a design overlook. 

splendid. the backer site was looooong overdue. (:

a thought about the stronghold though:

the features of it seem to be scattered around rather randomly - the theater right in front of the main entrance, a couple of buildings smack in the middle of the grounds, etc.

wouldn't it be better if some sort of order or thought process dictated the placing and facing of these features? right now it just does not look habitant friendly or functional to me...

Because of how we have to flip tiles of the 2D image, it's difficult for us to position the elements in a way that feels fully natural.  We recognize that elements like the theatre or individual buildings look strange when viewed from a high camera, but it's one of the trade-offs we've accepted for having a lot of upgrades within the stronghold.

Hmm, does this apply only to the buildings which change their appearance during the game or is it true for all buildings in every city?

BTW, are these (stronghold) the only buildings that change their appearance throughout our adventure? 

Thanks for the update!

That initial stronghold curtain wall could be made to look a lot more dilapidated and abandoned merely by adding more accumulated dirt and debris along the tops. Right now it looks much too clean. Various leaves, animal droppings and wind-blown debris should have accumulated along the surfaces and corners, allowing a few scattered weeds to take root.

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Nice update! However buildings and overall placing of srtuctures in stronghold seems strangely scattered and chaotic. I would expect buildings leaning next to walls then placed into open ground etc. Good example would be Candle Keep

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That initial stronghold curtain wall could be made to look a lot more dilapidated and abandoned merely by adding more accumulated dirt and debris along the tops. Right now it looks much too clean. Various leaves, animal droppings and wind-blown debris should have accumulated along the surfaces and corners, allowing a few scattered weeds to take root.

The stronghold hasn't gotten a paint over pass yet. The gritty details are added in during this step.

• Like 10

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

I can't quite recall but did Mr Sawyer state that these bonuses persist until one rests again? If so this would be quite a nice method of incentivising a player to not rest spam, very nice design in my own humble opinion.

Yes, they last until the next time you rest.

This issss Mayyy-juh TOM tooo Rest Con-trollllll! I'm LY-inggg onnn the flooo-OOO-oo-ohhhh... Annnd I'm slee-ping inn A most a-pe-cul-IAR WAA-HAyyyyy... and my stats look ve-RY di-FER-rent... to-DAAAA-AAA-aaa-aayyyyyy...

(Translation: 9 out of 10 Lephyses approve of the effects of this design choice.)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

This issss Mayyy-juh TOM tooo Rest Con-trollllll! I'm LY-inggg onnn the flooo-OOO-oo-ohhhh... Annnd I'm slee-ping inn A most a-pe-cul-IAR WAA-HAyyyyy... and my stats look ve-RY di-FER-rent... to-DAAAA-AAA-aaa-aayyyyyy...

Don't quit your day job.      :rolleyes:

• Like 2

This major Tom to rest control. Should we call the game Fantasy Oddity? ;)

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Don't quit your day job.      :rolleyes:

You say that, but you haven't actually heard it. Do you know how hard it is to sing something with TEXT? :)

• Like 2

More like Eternity Oddity. Or Space Eternity?

Staring Ziggy Obsidiandust and the Spiders from Eternity.

and off to bed. With what I am typing it becomes obvious I should go ;)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It'd be nice if the inns give certain bonuses that the stronghold can't. Especially if you have to pay for the inns - higher cost, better bonus. Perhaps even the campfires give a certain bonus that the stronghold can't.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

"I come in to work and read a little email. Sometimes I'll have a "breakfast snack" in the form of cheese and peanut butter crackers. This holds me over until lunch time. :) Upon my return from lunch, I'll continue to work on my current tasks."

Now I know why it's taking so damn long for the updates to roll. HA!

Seriously, I gotta echo other posters and say the stronghold certainly doesn't qualify as ruined. I'm glad there will be another coat of "ruin" paint over it. Otherwise it's damn beautiful.

It'd be nice if the inns give certain bonuses that the stronghold can't. Especially if you have to pay for the inns - higher cost, better bonus. Perhaps even the campfires give a certain bonus that the stronghold can't.

You have to pay for the stronghold too. And probably pay through the nose. So why would it make sense to give bonuses to inns and campfires?

Since you keep a bonus until you rest again your idea would mean that you always have some bonus on. Which wouldn't be a bonus, just the normal state.

Edited by jethro

More like Eternity Oddity. Or Space Eternity?

Staring Ziggy Obsidiandust and the Spiders from Eternity.

and off to bed. With what I am typing it becomes obvious I should go ;)

Damn you.

My first character now has to be named ActionMan.

Also, don't listen to Major Tom, I hear he is a junkie. 

EDIT - As for the "ruined" state of the keep, I think the stylized, fantasy ruined appearance is fine. Having spent many years of my graduate work at actual archaeological ruins, I will tell you they are kind of boring in a visual sense. 

Edited by DCParry
  • Like 1

How long can the party go without resting?

For comparison:

• In IWD my party had to rest like 3 times per dungeon to regain spells and health (yep, that entailed annoying backtracking).

• In IWD2 it was imo the perfect balance - regular resting was required to succeed, but I did not have to backtrack out of dungeons.

• In BG2, or at least in the later parts of the game, one could go without resting for a looooog time - and I usually waited until multiple NPCs complained about being fatigued - which kind of took the "edge" out of the resting mechanic.

What resting balance are you targeting for PE?

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell