Advice sought - sand-boxy FPS

Monte Carlo

Hello.

I would like to try a sand-boxy FPS of some description. I liked Borderlands 2 but would prefer something contemporary. Not bothered about multi-player as Stephen Hawking would pwn me.

What's the FarCry series like?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

No doubt STALKER should be on the top of the "to-play" list if you haven't played it already.

Far Cry 3 is a great game. Some people have their reservations about the story, but I think it works well enough. If anything, I'm miffed that Ubisoft has decided to run with the mechanics of Assassin's Creed in the open-world part of the game.

ArmA 3 multiplayer in Conquest mode can work as an open world shooter. Don't let it intimidate you, there are servers that don't demand that you were an operator with the 1st SFOD-D to join the game (though finding a group of friends to help ease you in can't hurt either). That said, with lingering net-code and performance issues, I myself can't play it in long sittings over a weekend. As is the case with most of Bohemia's catalogue, give it a couple more months to stew before jumping in.

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Far Cry 3 is pretty entertaining.  The story really goes off the rails at some point, but the openness and things to do can keep you entertained for quite a while.

Plus there's nothing quite so amusing as seeing an enemy guard walking by a river bank on his patrol route, only to have a crocodile jump out of the water and drag him under.  Saved me a bullet.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I like the stealth portion of Far Cry 3. Sniper rifle is my favorite weapon, hiding in the jungle, red-misting heavily-armored pirate scum. I use it for most human encounters (and the bow), but occasionally rampaging tigers and wild dogs and leopards get close enough without warning, that they need a more face-to-face approach. Same with sharks. It is a beautiful setting on PC, too.   

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I liked Crysis 1 and, sure, I loved FO:NV. I wasn't after a RPG though, my time is pretty limited right now and I was after a game I could play for an hour here and there and enjoy the pretty colours and tricked-out assault weaponry. Without being rail-roaded. I'd only heard good things about Far Cry as a series.

sonsofgygax.JPG

WTF? Jet-skis and sharks? Seriously? I'm going to download it right now. It sounds like the gaming equivalent of Sex Panther.

I'll throw in my vote for Far Cry 3, it's a pretty fantastic game.  My kids really enjoyed watching me speed around on a jetski trying to kill a shark, only to get eaten by a second one when I dove down to skin it.  

I knew asking on here was the right thing to do.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, I should say game-saves aren't like Skyrim where you can save anywhere, anytime. You have to get to a store, usually, sell the bollocks items or buy ammo, then it'll auto-save your progress. Other than that, it's a great game to play for a bit, here and there when you feel like it. And yeah, Blood Dragon is a riot.  

All Stop. On Screen.

No doubt STALKER should be on the top of the "to-play" list if you haven't played it already.

Seconded.  The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are amazing.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Seconded.  The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are amazing.

II figured no self-respecting PC gamer couldn't *not* have at least one of the two *really* good entries in the series in their games library. 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I'm thinking Dragon Age 2 is probably what you are looking for Monte ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

the first stalker game is pretty awful. try Call of Pripyat if you have the chance, it's a lot better.

then there's Dead Island, which can be entertaining for a while. 

as for Arma 3... it's complicated. as usual with Arma games there is no game to speak of. a bunch of missions to give you a taste of what Arma is like and a single-player campaign that's broken up into episodes (read: separate missions) - not very sandboxy. the closest you can get to a sandbox in vanilla Arma 3 is the two Escape missions. you're dropped in the middle of nowhere on one of two islands and have to escape from it, avoiding enemy patrols. but they're not long enough to justify buying the game.

if you really want to give Arma 3 a chance you could try its RPG modes made by modders. I never play those because I don't find it fun playing cops and robbers in a world that has no civilians (huge empty areas, huge empty towns, it's just depressing).

you'd be better off waiting for DayZ to come out. at least in that game towns and villages have zombies

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well, I do suppose Dragon Age 2 does resemble a shooter more than it does an RPG, but I don't think anyone would call it sandboxy.

:p

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, I do suppose Dragon Age 2 does resemble a shooter more than it does an RPG, but I don't think anyone would call it sandboxy.

:p

Isn't it a very long, narrow sandbox with lots of similar looking caves?

sonsofgygax.JPG

No, not similar, it's the same cave again and again and again and again.  I would more describe it as a relatively short and rather narrow sandbox which you get to run back and forth in about a hundred times.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

No, not similar, it's the same cave again and again and again and again.  I would more describe it as a relatively short and rather narrow sandbox which you get to run back and forth in about a hundred times.

Funnily enough, I just saw this post without context and thought it was about Skyrim. Guess it applies to more than one game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Far Cry 1 is not fully Sandbox per se but it has excellent shooter mechanics and enemy encounter design. Until you get to the stupid mutants that is.

Agreed.  Far Cry 2 also is great in allowing you to approach things from different angles and using different strategies, but the respawning checkpoints get ridiculously annoying really quickly.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸