What you've been drinking lately.

PK htiw klaw eriF

To be completely serious, it's probably habit. If you grew up drinking a lot of soda, you probably habituated yourself to it. If you're staying in good shape otherwise, you should permit yourself a few vices, although the idea that the soda is bad for you so you should find some other liquid in which to pour copious amounts of booze is a little... well, silly, Shady. Still, you say you're pretty healthy, so don't sweat the soda. ...But if it's a real issue, I'd say just cut it out completely. Don't buy it. Scrupulously avoid having it around to tempt you at all. /Dutch uncle mode

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Took Shady's advice and drank dr. pepper with cherry red stag.

Note to self: listen to Shady's booze advice more, the guy knows his ****.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Had a couple grapefruits getting old in the fridge, so I juiced 'em.  That led to experimentation.  A plain Salty Dog (Gin, Grapefruit, over ice, salted rim) is a bit boring.  It improves if you add plenty of angostura bitters.  Other than bitters, the thing that I discovered is nice to add is Sweet Vermouth.  This is a bit like a Bronx, but with no Dry Vermouth and grapefruit instead of orange.  It's also a bit like a Negroni, with the grapefruit (and bitters) serving in the bitter/sweet role of the Campari. 

As these are all common ingredients, I figured that somebody, somewhere, had done this before.  The internet tells me that those who did so called it a "South Beach ****tail," although they didn't mention the bitters.  (They may have been using a less sweet grapefruit, though.) 

Took Shady's advice and drank dr. pepper with cherry red stag.

Note to self: listen to Shady's booze advice more, the guy knows his ****.

Updated my journal.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

• 3 weeks later...

It's no pumpkin peach ale, but I'm enjoying it very much none the less. Not too thick, doesn't overpower, nice and tasty, 8%. 

Hangar 24 Chocolate Porter, from Redlands, California. 

This strong porter is perfect for sipping at the end of the day or to accompany full-flavored foods. The intense, roasty flavor comes from two types of chocolate malt and raw cocoa nibs. Whole vanilla beans introduced post fermentation add complexity and enhance the dessert-like qualities of this full bodied beer.

chocoyummy_zpsihfz4gr1.png

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Guess I'm the only one drinking lately. Which is fine, I have no compunction against the compulsion.

Stone Brewing Mutt Brown. Definitely a sipping beer, strangely more of a commitment than the above porter, 9%. 

My buddy sprung for a 33.8oz growler from the local Stone garden ... literally a rock garden with adirondack chairs, giant mushroom footrests, groovy lighting, walls of succulents, and essentially endless beer taps. And reggae music. Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Sorry, I've been taking some time off but tomorrow going out to Williams and Graham with a buddy of mine who just got stationed here

No way, I tried that Sam Smith Nut Brown last night at a place called Plan 9, in Escondido, where my buddy rests. 

Or maybe it was the night before, at The Flying Pig in Oceanside. Things have been a bit hazy since we dropped off his wife and son en route to Brasil. I despise pickled anything, but still ordered an appetizer from TFP wherein multi-pickled vegetables were tempura fried ... no. Why ruin perfectly good asparagus et al by soaking them in sour vinegar ... I'll never understand why people love cats. 

nutbrownisbestbrown_zpstrvkmyey.png

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Sorry, I've been taking some time off but tomorrow going out to Williams and Graham with a buddy of mine who just got stationed here

No way, I tried that Sam Smith Nut Brown last night at a place called Plan 9, in Escondido, where my buddy rests. 

Or maybe it was the night before, at The Flying Pig in Oceanside. Things have been a bit hazy since we dropped off his wife and son en route to Brasil. I despise pickled anything, but still ordered an appetizer from TFP wherein multi-pickled vegetables were tempura fried ... no. Why ruin perfectly good asparagus et al by soaking them in sour vinegar ... I'll never understand why people love cats. 

nutbrownisbestbrown_zpstrvkmyey.png

Usually I just have a couple of their new old fashioneds and then low crawl home but I'll have to give it a whirl 

I can already here myself singing as I drink it

Oh, won't you stay with me? / 'Cause you're all I need / This ain't love it's clear to see / But darling, stay with me…

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well be 11am, close enough to noon, which means it's 5pm somewhere over the Atlantic, or Greenland, so I'm okay trying this oddly named beverage, Leinenkugel Big Butt Doppelbock. Five varieties of malted barley, 5.8%, is all it proclaims, but my mouth says it's pretty decent. Probably should eat something soon. Or take a nap.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Forgot to mention that when I went out to get that Sam Smith Ale they were out :(

My wife's favorite beer is a Leinenkugel, their Sunset Wheat though. She always confuses the name with the Summer Shandy so when we go out she always asks the bartender/waiter if they have a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, which some places carry around here, then looks directly at me to correct and waits for me to correct the name.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 4 weeks later...

About to crack open some lunchtime red. Listening to orthodox Russian church music, and reading a book on Stalin.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Coffee, black.

I'll chase it with a cup of coffee, black. And probably another after that.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got a Jura Whiskey for my birthday, the one called Prophecy.

It's damn good.

Jura's a good direction to head in, but I think it's neither clean enough, nor flavoursome enough to be a real contender. Have you tried Balvenie?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

wasn't my first choice but it works

yes, except for cream soda, it's coconut water; in place of bourbon, gin. pretty sure i already went to this go=to before, previously

one shot of juniper left, not right, from a bottle dated O-ten, so, in the future, running out of ale is practically entirely unacceptable. gin dreams and caviar wishes or something, man, I'm gonna be so disappointed with that chinese torch I just know it 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

My wife and I became members of a very good winery called Jason Stephens, and I've been really enjoying their stock.  We are even looking at buying a wine rack, since our little tabletop one can't keep up with our current inventory.  My favorites have been the Syrahs, Merlot, and the Cabernet.  

I still tend to prefer beer, but a glass of wine is pretty good with pastas and cheeses.