What you've been drinking lately.

PK htiw klaw eriF

It was my birthday yesterday, so I was invited to a surprise party where we had some beer - I had Westvleteren 8 and 12, Thomas Hardy's Ale from 2003 and some other nice beverages.

Impressive. Happy birthday lucky jerkface.  :p

No monks made the brew I'm drinking, but it's rewarding nonetheless. Ballast Point, Victory At Sea, a 10% imperial porter 'infused with vanilla and San Diego's own Caffe Calabria coffee beans'. 8.5 on my (new) scale of 9.9, one point less than the peanut butter milk stout from yesterday--my god it was amazing in its delectable mouth feels. 

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Ballast Point released a new craft brew cream ale, 'Calm Before the Storm', as opposed to their 'Victory at Sea' imperial porter. It's a nice amber color with natural flavors of coffee and vanilla. They were only in the fridge for an hour, so at around sixty degrees it tastes a bit sudsy--not sure what the correct 'mouthfeel' term for that is. Still have yet to discover the pumpkin peach ale Budweiser warned me about. 

edit: okay, two more since the first, still weirdly frothy. Great flavor but an odd style of drink. Maybe it's whatever makes a cream ale a cream ale, I don't know. Ballast Point has a 'Grunion' pale ale I'll try next ... 'a pair of new hop varieties lend strong yet balanced summer melon aromas and herbal flavors, while a soft caramel malt sweetness holds it all together'. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I am working my way through a bottle of this:

23e072732b7ed68d3850b72105420093.jpg

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got this baby for a friend.. Quite a kicker at 50 proof, but a great overall taste and texture. Not much of a whiskey guy (prefer Rum and sweeter alcohols) but it was an interesting one.

black-bull-12yo-dt.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.

Jameson Black Barrel. Its ok. I like Makers Mark better.

Those are totally different things

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I once knew an entire Italian family ... all Italian but each one was different: Gennaro and Giacomo were the motorcyclists, which is how I knew them. Giovanni was the patriarch who owned the restaurant, by the name of La Dolce Vita. Where are they now ... I don't know. They were all from Napoli.    

All Stop. On Screen.

I liked Napoli but while I was there every place we went recommend wine from elsewhere. Usually Tuscany or Piedmont. My wife loved the Tuscan and Sicilian wines. I just liked the sweet stuff because I'm an uncouth barbarian.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

For sure, I remember Gennaro, the eldest, telling me Naples was like the Detroit of mid-west Italy. Then again, back then it was the mid-nineties. It might be paradise, now. God he was handsome, wavy black hair, perfect Mediterranean skin, confident foreign accent ... I'm a straight dude, but damn, every stop light, females get out of their boyfriend's cars and jumped on the back of his GSX-R. That only happened to me once ... and the boyfriend was all, 'please be careful, man, please ... '

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Why didn't I think of this?

http://shop.coolmaterial.com/products/steel-ice-cubes

I just ordered them on Amazon for a little less

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

You know what is a beautiful sight? A full 12 oz ice frosted glass of really good draft beer.

It almost brings a tear of joy to the eye when you set it down and the little ice ring from the bottom floats to the top.

Thomas Sowell

I'll join your group, I love IPAs. I'm the best kind of friend... the one that never comes over!

Of course living more than 1k miles away is a hindrance.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

For my first ever keg in my brand new kegerator, I got Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA.  It is fantastic.  It took a couple days to settle down, get cold enough, and for me to master the right carbonation, but now I've got an amazing pour on a Friday night.  It's a perfect mix of hoppiness and citrus, refreshing and flavorful.

• Like 1

I avoided wine for a long time.  My parents were super into it and my wife is actually a descendant of one of the first wine makers in California.  But I just never enjoyed more than a sip or two.  Then a couple years ago I took my wife on some tasting event for her birthday, and I got into it.  Since then I've come around, my favorite part is the way it pairs with different types of food.