Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AMD R9 290X

Trouncing titan holy crap

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

Ok so it isn't eating up 88w idle, but it's pretty bad at low load as well. 

http://www.tomshardw...rk,3659-17.html

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why "as well"? It's alright at idle ;) At load, it consumes some watts more than a Titan, while being somewhat slower, and incredibly much cheaper. Also, it consumes less than a R9 280x, while being faster, with a bigger chip, at the same process node. Put a decent cooler on it, and load consumption will drop 30W (http://ht4u.net/revi...test/index7.php)

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wait for custom cooler design cards in the coming weeks/months. Then watch how Nvidia will have to lower it's prices again.

Win win.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

So yeah, it was a good thing that nVidia followed AMD's pricing down. But now they seem to be following AMD's noise levels up - at least if early numbers are to be believed.

Still a little longer until the NDA officially lifts, but some publications (*cough* videocardz.com) not bound by NDA have released their numbers. The 780Ti performs as expected (winning at lower resolutions), but its fan runs 5db louder than the Titan and 780 non-Ti coolers. Or rather, it's the same cooler, but forced to run faster to keep the higher-clocked Ti in check. Megahertz wars? Nah, it's the decibel wars!

Also, $699, probably. Blah, needed to be $599. EDIT2: $720 at Amazon

GTX-780-Ti-noise-850x555.jpg

EDIT: Power consumption figures too

Edited by Humanoid, 07 November 2013 - 01:58 AM.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

An early report that someone flashed a 290 into a full 290X. I didn't read the link, cause I'm starting to lose faith in compiler monkeys. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a rise in misinterpretation and a general confusion with news, opinion, and speculation all being equal. That would be cool, though, to save some cash and watts over a full-priced GPU and get the same performance.   

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Multiple reports by now, apparently mostly Powercolor cards, but even there it's hit or miss. I'd say unlocking a 290 to a 290x is possible with about the same chance as becoming a victim of the curse of the black screen (current speculation revolves around Afterburner or sensor faults related to fan speed, even on fanless, i.e. watercooled, cards).

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts

Not an X yet, but now they're coming:

http://www.anandtech...stom-cooled-290

41 dB, down from 57! Better performance than the 780 GTX (and sometimes even the 290X). Cheaper than both.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Cool, a quiet 290. I think everyone knew it was coming, except the guy who wrote that original article, with green ink in his typewriter. "I just can't recommend this card ... it's super powerful, unbelievably cheap ... but it's too loud, just too loud ... I ... it's just ... my Nvidia overlords tell me what to write ... reference blowers ... too loud ... no such thing as partner custom cooling ... don't buy Radeon." 

• ShadySands likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

any news on mantle by the way?

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

Delayed because EA are apparently scrambling to fix BF4 properly first (as far as I know nothing related to the Mantle implementation, just BF4's general suckiness).

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Delayed because EA are apparently scrambling to fix BF4 properly first (as far as I know nothing related to the Mantle implementation, just BF4's general suckiness).

well, as i said in another forum, i got BF3 and the next time i get a BF will be when DICE decides to hire competent staff. or even better when EA stops being the publisher

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Regarding mantle outside of Battlefield 4:

This swarm demo thing with mod support was said to be released in January (skip to 26th minute if not interested in tech background and marketing) :

Thief is due out in February I think. So far, this game really looks good to me, now that they seem to have listened to fans regarding QTEs and HUD etc. :)

Edited by samm, 02 January 2014 - 06:52 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

I'm assuming Nvidia still have the edge, and by that I mean that they probably have plans locked away for the next two generations of GFX waiting for a reason to implement them.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

Both companies future plans are absolutely dependent not on their designs, but on TSMC's (who actually make the chips) ability to deliver increasingly smaller process nodes without screwing up horribly. It's not a case of designing the fastest thing on paper, but on making the fastest thing that your manufacturing partner can actually deliver with the tools they have.

It's the reason both companies flagships are so close right now. They're both pushing the limit of what the current 28nm process can viably do, and as such, neither is actually able to make anything more than minor tweaks until TSMC have their 20nm stuff ready to go.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm assuming Nvidia still have the edge, and by that I mean that they probably have plans locked away for the next two generations of GFX waiting for a reason to implement them.

They have an edge at the highest end in terms of performance and performance / watt. Featurewise, they lag behind AMD and have done so afair ever since their 8xxx series (first with DX 10) Now that Mantle is coming up, they're not even leading the proprietary bullsh* corner anymore, and not being part of the HSA foundation, the lack of standardized CPU/GPU integration might hamper them in the future as well.

What I mean to say: "having the edge" is very dependent on this egde's definition.

Yes, they have plans for the next generations, usually years ahead of implementation, due to the reasons Humanoid stated. Process technology really is the main issue currently for GPUs and CPUs other than Intel's and has been for the past several years.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

speaking of mantle, has anyone of you played diablo 2 using glide back in the day? it was like playing a different game compared to  how it looked in direct x

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts

It finally arrived:

finally_zps52ed63cc.jpg

Only tried a handful of games, but.. holy crap. Tessellation doesn't seem to be a problem now.

I need a bigger screen. Feels like a bit of a waste on 1920x1080. At least I can max everything on everything!

• samm, kirottu, Bokishi and 3 others like this

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nice!

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

How loud is it ?

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

From what I've heard it's unnecessarily louder than its 290 (without X) counterpart, especially at idle not significantly more quiet than the original cooler in quiet mode in idle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users