Anime... for adults or kids?

Cultist

While I like some anime I love your comments Cultist, you make my day

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm not really into most anime, but I figure it's just another form of media. It can't be inherently 'for' adults or children, but different individual examples of anime probably can I guess. Also I have no idea what game you're even referring to, I didn't see one mentioned in the OP.

I must admit I do find Cultist's meme heavy humour rather enjoyable, for my sins.

Edit: Personally i'd assume that in general the anime featuring children is for children, and those featuring adults are for adults, though I have to admit that telling the two apart is sometimes difficult considering the heavy stylisation. I always get the gender of Final Fantasy protagonists wrong for instance.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I always felt anime itself is simply a different medium to tell a story. Just like television shows are ranging from Saturday morning kid's show to midnight CSI series for example.

It all depends on the market audience the anime strives to cater to. Animes like Ghost in the Shell, Tokyo Godfathers, Jin Roh and even Studio Ghibli's recent movie The Wind Rises are catered to the adults. 

Attack on Titans is catered towards teenagers, but that doesn't stop an adult like me to enjoy the show with its intriguing setting, cliffhanger style arcs of the plot and the intense action it delivers. But its a show that is not without flaws such as 

Eren is pretty 2 dimensional as a main protagonist, pacing issues and the show forcing the themes into the viewers mind instead of doing "Show and don't tell" type of delivery

However, the redeeming side of the show would be

watching the characters mature in outlook and philosophy in dealing with deaths like Jean and Armin over the course of the series, and finally another anime that features strong and capable female protagonists

I personally prefer the story going through the direction of

Eren remaining dead without devolving the series into an ultraman inspired show and pursue Band of Brothers style of direction to introduce characters and Game of Throne's style of political intrigue

Anyway, I still enjoy the show despite the flaws. The story got better in the manga though as the author got better in his storytelling style.

Edited by Zoma

I would say for lowlife virgin reprobates, but I'm not in an **** mood at the moment.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I enjoy anime that spend time on stylistic elements, character development, and a sense of drama; those can be sadly lacking in western animation. What I can do without is some of the goofy humor, particularly as expressed in absurd emotive states. Serious anime films such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Princess Mononoke are as enjoyable for an adult as any well-done live-action drama film. Unfortunately, Western cultures have been conditioned to view animation as children's fare, so adult anime has only done well with specialized audiences.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

entertainment for children can be enjoyed and appreciated by adults. in fact, some o' our most frequent examples o' great and under-appreciated writing is children's/young adult lit. swiftly tilting planet and phantom tollbooth is representative o' great fiction regardless o' intended audience. similarly, rocky and his friends were animated and seeming made for kids, but it were smart, funny and clearly only adults were able to fully appreciate the show as it were so heavily steeped in cold war parody. 

that being said, the vast majority o' anime... sux. serious. grave of the fireflies and 'bout 1/2 episodes o' cowboy beebop were excellent. spirited away, despite being offered as children's fare, were deserving o' the accolades. not much else.  avoiding the so-called slice o' life shows (*shudder*) we sees an overabundance o' poorly done godzilla, pinnochio, and buffy. you f'd with nature and now it is gonna f you back? speilberg and kubrick took a swing at the pinocchio and did a much better job than any anime we has seen. and don't get us started on why the anime universe needs to be saved by teen-aged girls with super powers... girls who ultimately need a hug.

most anime is just bad. anime creators think originality is 'bout creating a wacky plot rather than doing something creative with characters. so we sees same stock characters doing same stupid stuff in scenarios that bugger credulity and end up falling apart at end when the writers need to finally explain the ultimate Why behind the plot. 

also, western animation is far more likely to be actual animated. japanese anime, ironically, is frequent a succession o' pretty stills. 

and yes, it is spring, but there is no reason to flood every freaking scene with cherry trees in bloom. and yes, am getting that it is summer 'cause you has ubiquitous sound o' cicadas.

japanese fascination with western christianity is understandable, but the way priests, nuns, and christianity is used in anime is just nutty. 

also... we could go on, but is no real point. 

anime is, for the most part, awful. same can be said of western comics. usually attract same crowd... getting older too. am suspecting quality in western comics is 'bout as likely as japanese anime. draw your own conclusions 'bout what you think that means. regardless, entertainment directed at children is not what makes anime or comics bad. most anime and comics ain't produced for children nowadays. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps anime does tend to be annoyingly pervy. blame on culture all you want, but is gross regardless. boobies dont bother Gromnir, but the "loli" crap and other weirdness is more than a little disturbing.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think I just had an aneusyr... anrys... brainbleed.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Avoiding to answer?

I'd say that was a smart move, but that would imply intelligence on your part.

And that image?

Again a display of ignorance, given that anime consist of a variety of different arty styles (ranging from gigantic eyes to normal ones) and genres (action, drama, romance, etc..)

Trying to dump it all into one category/box is like trying to say all holywood moves are crap because Sharknado (or whatever movie you consider horrible)

There are horrible, stupid, redicolous anime out there..but there are also hillarious, brilliant and deep ones.

Ya know...just like movies...or books...or music albums....or pretty much any form of entertainment ever made.

Inconcievable, right?

Your posts remind me how 30+ year guys explain why they watch my little pony or other cartoons with little girls as target audience.

By Lewis Carrol:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

In essence, you're being extremely immature here.

This is a good quote from Lewis Carrol and accurate

I don't judge any hobby that people have. If people enjoy stamps, anime, comics, gaming, trainspotting or any other interest its all good. As long as they don't harm anyone I completely respect there right to have any interest irrespective of there age

So in answer to the question Anime is for kids and adults :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I haven't watched much anime since the early 2000s. Was a fan in the late 90s, went to animation school, and suddenly all I could see were the flaws. One of my teachers said it happened to him too. Got into animation because of anime, learned how it was done, and hated anime. Plus all the horrible dubbed/edited garbage was all over TV at the time too, forcing good shows like The Batman out in favor of stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh, so that added to my resentment.

Now pretty much the only anime I'm into is the Studio Ghibli stuff, because since Disney abandoned classical animation they're the only studio that produces high quality classical animation anymore.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I haven't watched much anime since the early 2000s. Was a fan in the late 90s, went to animation school, and suddenly all I could see were the flaws. One of my teachers said it happened to him too. Got into animation because of anime, learned how it was done, and hated anime. Plus all the horrible dubbed/edited garbage was all over TV at the time too, forcing good shows like The Batman out in favor of stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh, so that added to my resentment.

Now pretty much the only anime I'm into is the Studio Ghibli stuff, because since Disney abandoned classical animation they're the only studio that produces high quality classical animation anymore.

The idea a show like Brave and the Bold would be cancelled in favor of crap like Yu-Gi-Oh pisses me off.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The idea a show like Brave and the Bold would be cancelled in favor of crap like Yu-Gi-Oh pisses me off.

Kids WB cancelled most of their original programming 5 or 6 years ago in favor of switching the programming to 4kids, which was pretty much all Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and crap like that. Kids WB programming at the time included The Batman, just as it started intoducing other DC heroes and leading towards Batman joining the Justice League.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

To be honest, I thought that The Batman was a worse version of the 90s Batman. Batman the Brave and the Bold is probably the most entertaining toon I have ever watched.

To be honest, I thought that The Batman was a worse version of the 90s Batman. Batman the Brave and the Bold is probably the most entertaining toon I have ever watched.

But the Batman gave us Rastafarian Joker, you can't beat that or the Dracula episode; It's like the "Batman and Robin" of animation.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

But the Batman gave us Rastafarian Joker, you can't beat that or the Dracula episode; It's like the "Batman and Robin" of animation.

The Aquaman and Atom team-up does.

Urgh, The Batman deserved to be cancelled. Maybe not in favour of that Yu-Gi-Oh bull but The Batman was awful. Except for the episode where Batman punched an old lady in the face for no seeming reason. Of course, you found out the reason after but it was still hilarious!

Now, The Spectacular Spider-man, that was a unique yet loyal take on the webhead and it's exceedingly obvious that the new movie franchise takes it's cues from that show instead of any comic book. That show deserved a third season at least.

Ironically, my favourite anime isn't even japanese. The Last Airbender was awesome. Korra is pretty neat too, though the latest season suffers from far worse animation than anything that came before.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1