Incantations sounds in Project Eternity aka Latin galore?

You can skip to 5:45 and enoy:

I just wonder if we'll have the same cool incantations like in Baldur's Gate and if Latin will be used also.

(I prefer Latin because is stylish and superior to any mumbo jumbo invented language)

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

Uh, I hope they do not use "latin" casting voices, after all the effort they put into developing specific languages for the different cultures in the game.

Everything "Latin" in games with English speakers bugs me to no end. Being from a country with German, French, Italian and Romanic as official languages, it always sounded ridiculous to my ears, and by now, having taken Latin classes and studied language, it has become even more of a distraction when playing such a game.

Edited by samm
  • Like 7

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Uh, I hope they do not use "latin" casting voices, after all the effort they put into developing specific languages for the different cultures in the game.

Everything "Latin" in games with English speakers bugs me to no end. Being from a country with German, French, Italian and Romanic as official languages, having had Latin classes and studied language, it so far never failed to sound ridiculous to my ears.

I'm strongly assuming you're swiss too, in which case it's romansh/rhaeto-romanic. Romanic is a biiiiiiit more general.

An understandandable error as we often call it just romanic, but I doubt many non swiss people would know that so I thought I should mention it.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Old English has a nice sound to it when recited, recognisable to some extent like the latin phrases of the Infinity spellcasting as well.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I actually think Latin sounds kind of silly, especially the classical pronunciation.

I also dislike having a language that was once a vernacular used for magic incantations. If there is some special language that exists only for magic, that's one thing, but to randomly decide that speaking a language that was once an everyday thing will help work magic never quite computes in my head. I guess you could argue that the fact that it's no longer spoken gives it a mystical connotation that helps the invoker get into the mind set to work magic, but even then, Latin wouldn't be necessary; it would be an aide: something that would give you a bonus to the roll, rather than an obligatory reagent, and speaking the words in Sumarian or Sanskrit would have the same effect.

Edited by eimatshya

(I prefer Latin because is stylish and superior to any mumbo jumbo invented language)

A mumbo jumbo invented language is more believable than using Latin in a context in which Latium never existed, as it's not even Earth. That's even taking into account the practicality of pretending the game is English dubbed in place of the fictional native language of the world in question. Besides, Hellenic/Ancient Greek is superior. Latin is just another gibberish of "BARBARBARBAR" that civilized people can't understand and have no reason to make an effort to do so. It's no surprise that Latin died out after the fall of Rome while Greek endured.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

Please Obsidian, make a sensible invented language. If you don't have the time, I'll do it for you.

Edited by Rostere

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

They'll be using one of J.E. Sawyer's conlangs if they do incantations (and I hope they do).

Me, too. If someone is going to go to all the trouble of making conlanguages for a game, or even the rough outlines of those languages and a few words, then the least they can do is throw in a few lines of chanting in that language for spells and the like. That would make it a 'mysterious, magical language' for everyone, no matter what languages they understand in the real world.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

50x50px-ZC-9ab1c0f2_Pinky_brain.gifBrain, 2013-11-04, 9:55 AM

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

27454_100000924555137_6697_q.jpgPinky, 2013-11-04, 9:56 AM

Sure, Brain... but how we're gonna get all this jelly?

50x50px-ZC-9ab1c0f2_Pinky_brain.gifBrain, 2013-11-04, 9:57 AM

No, not that, Pinky! I've been browsing through the Project Eternity forums lately and...

27454_100000924555137_6697_q.jpgPinky, 2013-11-04, 9:57 AM

Egads, Brain! You are registered there too?

50x50px-ZC-9ab1c0f2_Pinky_brain.gifBrain, 2013-11-04, 9:58 AM

Surely, I... wait, what do you mean by "too"? What business could you possibly have with Obsidian?

27454_100000924555137_6697_q.jpgPinky, 2013-11-04, 9:59 AM

Haha, "WorldMaster" it is you isn't it? Adding to friends now; a couple more and we will have a virtual tea party, NARF!

50x50px-ZC-9ab1c0f2_Pinky_brain.gifBrain, 2013-11-04, 10:05 AM

"Not-a-mouse-at-all"... I should have known. Now it is irrelevant; the important thing is that although the game itself will have a number of made up words from artificial languages - constructed soleley for the game itself - some people there questioned the use of latin based words. I have found a proof of such a use. The irrocian calendar, the commonly-used calendar in and around the Dyrwood. See, they write years down as AI - Anni Iroccio, the Year of Irrocio. And "anni" is a word from latin, it means "year". Thus the game will have some latin in it, or at least one artificial language based heavily on latin itself. Here's the link: http://eternity.gamepedia.com/Anni_Iroccio

27454_100000924555137_6697_q.jpgPinky, 2013-11-04, 10:07 AM

Naaaaaaaaarf... gee-whiz, you're so clever, Brain! But does it mean we have to learn latin now? POINT! ZORT!

50x50px-ZC-9ab1c0f2_Pinky_brain.gifBrain, 2013-11-04, 10:08 AM

No, it means that we're going to TAKE OVER THE WORLD... of Eternity.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...